Author Topic: Victim of bullying finally wins  (Read 29301 times)

Offline Stormwarden

• The Beast
Re: Victim of bullying finally wins
« Reply #60 on: January 08, 2012, 11:08:35 pm »
People don't win in fights against a group so much as survive them unless they're REALLY good.

Get the kid who defended himself help for any trauma from this.

The issue I have was that it never should have gotten this far in the first place. I hope the school staff wake the fuck up after this, and realize that it ain't all hunky-dory over there. Even if the incident took place at the bus stop (which it did), someone was napping. Someone had to hear something.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Offline TenfoldMaquette

• Pope
« Reply #61 on: January 08, 2012, 11:15:14 pm »
I find the family more assholish then the kid.  It's obvious from the article that their "precious" can do no wrong and totally didn't bully anyone.

They're mourning. Everyone speaks sunshine and roses about the recently deceased.

Offline Jack Mann

• Gold Bugger Jihad Pony
  • God
« Reply #62 on: January 08, 2012, 11:17:43 pm »
See, I absolutely have sympathy for Nuno.  Kids are idiots.  They have no idea what their priorities should be, they think the approval of their peers means everything, and they think they're immortal.  They have to learn that that's all bullshit.  Like Sandman said, just because someone's a moron when they're a kid doesn't mean they won't grow up to be a decent adult.  It's the responsibility of the adults around them to keep them under control and show them how they're supposed to act.  That obviously didn't happen here.  And that's the tragedy here. 
اللغة العربية صعبة ، ولكنها جميلة جدا

Offline DasFuchs

• God
  • Ruler of his own little world since 1977
« Reply #63 on: January 09, 2012, 12:16:43 am »
The bully absolutely did not deserve to die.  However, the kid being beat up had a right to defend himself.  I'm glad the courts didn't go after him.  As others have said, the tragedy here is that the situation wasn't resolved long before it escalated to that point.  There needs to be an investigation into why the school didn't do anything prior to this situation, and if they couldn't, what can be done to give them the ability to deal with these situations.  I'm upset both for Nuno for dying over this, and for Saavedra for having to kill someone to defend himself.  The focus now needs to be how to prevent this from happening in the future.

Well, the court papers and such say it was bullying on the bus (which I know from experience rarely gets any attention) and off the bus well out of range of the driver after he's pulled away or any "school official" at the stop itself. Fearing the situation would escalate he never took the problem to any teachers because honestly, what's the most they'd do? I'm guessing talk to the bullying kid cause bullying is bad, m'kay which would do nothing to change the outcome.
"To a New Yorker like you, a hero is some type of weird sandwich. Not some nut that takes on two Tigers!" "You gotta hit'em point blank in the ass!" Oddball

Art Vandelay

« Reply #64 on: January 09, 2012, 12:35:51 am »
Nothing whatsoever of value was lost.

Offline Captain Jack Harkness

• Petter, Brony, and All-Around Cartoon Addict
  • The Beast
  • Or as a friend calls him, Captain Jack Hotness!
« Reply #65 on: January 09, 2012, 04:38:59 am »
So I don't know if any of you guys paid any attention to the comments, but we have this facepalm worthy post from them.

Quote from: JohnDoh
Stand your ground shouldn't apply here.. this is sending a message that if you're too big of a girl to fight after school, just kill whoever's about to kick your a--, and you'll get out of it...
All the fights after school I've been in, and witnessed, arrested or not, were never a felony charge. It's a little fight.. Glad to see our justice system still sucks heading into 2012
My friend's blog.  Check it out!

I blame/credit The Doctor with inspiring my name change.

Offline Necrotic Neophyte

• Neonate
« Reply #66 on: January 09, 2012, 04:52:30 am »
So I don't know if any of you guys paid any attention to the comments, but we have this facepalm worthy post from them.

Quote from: JohnDoh
Stand your ground shouldn't apply here.. this is sending a message that if you're too big of a girl to fight after school, just kill whoever's about to kick your a--, and you'll get out of it...
All the fights after school I've been in, and witnessed, arrested or not, were never a felony charge. It's a little fight.. Glad to see our justice system still sucks heading into 2012

Ah yes, battle cry of a seasoned bully! What ignorant pigs like the original poster of your quote don't realize, is that some people can't play fisticuffs with others because they actually have more to their lives than looking for the next victim. So when backed into a corner they have no idea what to do or how to 'properly' defend themselves from their tormentors.
Any loss of life is tragic, but I can't help but feel there isn't a major loss here. People like this Nuno only progress into a more cruel and violent nature, and it was only a matter of time till he and his thugs seriously injured this kid. This really was a case of kill or be killed.

Offline DasFuchs

• God
  • Ruler of his own little world since 1977
« Reply #67 on: January 09, 2012, 05:42:32 am »
I personally laughed at the one claiming there were "rules" to bully fights. But then it was DK, and he's kinda known as the lulz version of Skyfire
"To a New Yorker like you, a hero is some type of weird sandwich. Not some nut that takes on two Tigers!" "You gotta hit'em point blank in the ass!" Oddball

Offline Yla

• The Beast
« Reply #68 on: January 09, 2012, 05:43:12 am »
Good on the kid. Bully deserved what he got. Bastard
Nothing whatsoever of value was lost.

No. You're reducing him to being a bully. But Nuno was more than that. He wasn't an antagonist in a story with nothing more to him than his role. He was a human, a teen, he had a family, he went to school, he had hobbies, and all that was lost when he was killed. Being a bully doesn't invalidate all this.

Yes, he was a bully. But bullying doesn't deserve the death penalty, thus he also didn't deserve being killed in self-defense.
He was at fault, but that fault stood in no relation to the severity of the consequences.

To quote the lawyer: a tragedy all the way around.
That said, I've stopped trying to anticipate what people around here want a while ago, I've found it makes things smoother.
For I was an hungred, and ye told me to pull myself up by my bootstraps: I was thirsty, and ye demanded payment for the privilege of thine urine: I was a stranger, and ye deported me: naked, and ye arrested me for indecency.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #69 on: January 09, 2012, 06:17:16 am »

+1
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Distind

« Reply #70 on: January 09, 2012, 06:28:56 am »
No. You're reducing him to being a bully. But Nuno was more than that. He wasn't an antagonist in a story with nothing more to him than his role. He was a human, a teen, he had a family, he went to school, he had hobbies, and all that was lost when he was killed. Being a bully doesn't invalidate all this.

Yes, he was a bully. But bullying doesn't deserve the death penalty, thus he also didn't deserve being killed in self-defense.
He was at fault, but that fault stood in no relation to the severity of the consequences.

This really, I mean holy shit people.

I was bullied as much as anyone else on these damn forums and even when I damn well knew I could get a knife I didn't consider it. One beating, hell a hundred beatings isn't worth someone else's life. At least that why a few idiots I grew up with lived long enough to kill themselves stupidly. Maybe being stabbed yourself colors your opinion on such things.

It's not like anything I can say can change what the kid did, and it really is a matter of opinion on what someone else's life is worth, but anyone out there considering emulating the kid better be aware that a different judge may well see things completely differently even in the same area. Elsewhere it's a good chance of winding up with manslaughter at least.

And a bit on the thread topic, winning against a bully involves them pissing themselves and running away, this kid shat himself and died. Difference there.

Offline StallChaser

• Pope
  • (Haseen on the old board)
« Reply #71 on: January 09, 2012, 06:45:56 am »
Almost every asshole in history has had at least some people that have liked them.  It doesn't mean they weren't assholes.  Most assholes don't deserve to die, but literally millions of people on this earth die every year that deserve more sympathy than this guy.

Nobody is saying we should celebrate his death, or that it isn't in some small way, tragic, but there's only so much sympathy to go around.  He beat the shit out of this kid regularly, and was about to engage in a 3-on-1 beatdown for who knows how long.  And even after his victim pulled out the knife, he continued to escalate the fight.  As horrible as the consequences were, at every step, he was the one who chose to escalate the situation that led to his own death.  He could have stopped at any point along the way.

I don't think the victim made the right choice with the knife, but he was left few options.  Stabbing someone isn't acceptable, but neither is getting the shit beat out of you on a regular basis.

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #72 on: January 09, 2012, 07:14:22 am »
This is why the administration needs to stop looking away with the bullying.  I'm not siding with the bullied kid, but those in desparate times will resort to extreme measures. 
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline Scotsgit

• Is Reenacting Reality or Reality Reenacting?
  • The Beast
« Reply #73 on: January 09, 2012, 07:22:07 am »
Came from the side of Inverness you don't want to be from if money is something you find desirable,

Beauly?  :P

and in Scotland the divisions in school have always been economic.

Depends - in places like Raintown*, there's also Sectarianism.

*Glasgow:  One of its unaffectionate nicknames.
I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley!

Offline Scotsgit

• Is Reenacting Reality or Reality Reenacting?
  • The Beast
« Reply #74 on: January 09, 2012, 07:28:16 am »
I find the family more assholish then the kid.  It's obvious from the article that their "precious" can do no wrong and totally didn't bully anyone.

They're mourning. Everyone speaks sunshine and roses about the recently deceased.

And he was their son:  Parents being told that their son/daughter is or was a bully will resolutely refuse to believe it, it's easier for them to think that someone else was bullying their child, rather than think that their child was a bully.  It makes them feel that they have somehow failed.

This isn't to excuse Nuno, just as a way of explanation.
I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley!