Author Topic: Texas can force students to wear locator chips  (Read 5441 times)

Offline Damen

• That's COMMODORE SPLATMASTER Damen, Briber of Mods
  • The Beast
  • The Dark Sex God
    • John Damen's Photography
Re: Texas can force students to wear locator chips
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2013, 03:26:20 am »
This assumes that

A. Most teenagers are smart enough to do that with their phones without utterly trashing them, and

B. That most teenagers wouldn't sooner die than part with their precious phones.

Teens are smarter than old farts like us give them credit for.
"Fear my .45"

"If the liberties of the American people are ever destroyed, they will fall by the hands of the clergy" ~ Marquis De Lafayette

'Till Next Time,
~John Damen

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2013, 03:58:15 am »
This assumes that

A. Most teenagers are smart enough to do that with their phones without utterly trashing them, and

B. That most teenagers wouldn't sooner die than part with their precious phones.

We liked to think that when we were teenagers.

Regardless, while I'm sure there are many quite capable teenagers who will most likely bypass this in a nutshell, there will be just as many too absorbed into their little worlds of entitlement.  Instead of doing something about it, they'll whine about it on facebook/twitter, make a group, and talk about how hard they have it because of the locator chips, and whenever anyone gives them advice, they'll reply with "BUT YOU DON'T UNDERSTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAND"
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline ScrappyB

• Bishop
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2013, 06:09:08 am »
Ripping out the GPS or disabling CarrierIQ wouldn't do that much good anyway, since there are several ways to track a person's location using a cell phone and one of them uses cell tower triangulation. Basically, when a phone is in contact with multiple towers (which it almost always is) the carrier can track the phone's location by measuring the signal strength from each tower. That's how they find dumbphones with no software or GPS capability.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 06:10:41 am by ScrappyB »
"All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian, or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit." - Thomas Paine

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2013, 09:12:46 am »
I personally prefer the low-tech method of "leave the cell phone off unless you actually need to use it".
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Auggziliary

• The Beast
  • Queen of the birdies
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2013, 01:34:41 pm »
This assumes that

We liked to think that when we were teenagers.

Regardless, while I'm sure there are many quite capable teenagers who will most likely bypass this in a nutshell, there will be just as many too absorbed into their little worlds of entitlement.  Instead of doing something about it, they'll whine about it on facebook/twitter, make a group, and talk about how hard they have it because of the locator chips, and whenever anyone gives them advice, they'll reply with "BUT YOU DON'T UNDERSTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAND"

I don't think using the phones would be a good idea. Knowing the people at my high school a lot of them would steal the phones and hide them somewhere as a prank all the time.
BITCHES! YOU BITCHES! Killing me won't bring back your God damn honey!

Distind

« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2013, 01:56:32 pm »
I personally prefer the low-tech method of "leave the cell phone off unless you actually need to use it".
If you want that to work, pop out the battery. Some can still be tracked despite being 'off'

That said,a nyone tracking my poor phone would think I never left my house.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2013, 05:43:27 pm »
If you want that to work, pop out the battery. Some can still be tracked despite being 'off'

Fair point. That said, I'm not too concerned, and my phone's also pretty old, maybe old enough not to be traceable while off.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2013, 03:15:41 pm »
After carefully reading the article again, I come away with a really sneaking suspicion that this whole debacle may have come out of a clever little bit of backroom lobbying and salesmanship by a Texas-based RFID system design/install company owner.

Texas law counts a student present for purposes of distributing state aid to education funds based on the number of pupils in the classroom at the start of the day. Northside said it was losing $1.7 million a year due to students loitering in the stairwells or chatting in the hallways.

Why is the Texas school funding statute requiring such a very specific means of accounting - within a classroom and at only a certain time of day - for the student head count/roll call data to be gathered and considered valid to qualify for magnet school funding per capita? Is there really any compelling reason to deny funding if it were simply based on a regular "home room" roll call account data, like it is in every fucking magnet school ever?

Also, if the bullshit answer is, "The RFID system will prevent fraud". What fraud? Do they really think that the money spent to fund such a fine high school is gonna be trolled by huckster teachers and admins? And if they did think that, for real, then what would prevent said hucksters from goofing the system with identity theft-based requests for extra RFIDs? I mean, what the fuck is the purpose of this? Other than to make money for whichever RFID installation company won the contract?

When I was in high school in the mid seventies, it was also at the equivalent today of a magnet school, and we had roll call at home room at about 10:15am every school day. This was all done by hand, and the homeroom data was totaled by the main office within an hour. If a student skipped home room to go fuck off, they got called up to the office later, because every single class room period had attendance noted by the teacher and turned in, too. If you showed up for even just one class, you got counted as attending, that class data would be looked through to catch "skips", and you would be written up for skipping all the other classes, and got shit loads of grief for it.

So why is it suddenly necessary to go all high tech for accounting attendance when it has been done accurately since my great grandmother's time?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 03:36:13 pm by mellenORL »
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.