Author Topic: Man arrested for wanting to be with his hospitalized partner.  (Read 8916 times)

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
Re: Man arrested for wanting to be with his hospitalized partner.
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2013, 07:34:24 pm »
Did you even read what I posted?

Ironbite-seriously dude

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2013, 07:43:20 pm »
Did you even read what I posted?

Ironbite-seriously dude

Yes, and it's nothing special: the patient's spouse and brother got into a fight that escalated until security was forced to intervene. Gorley never presented his power of attorney documents, so as far as the hospital was concerned he had less legal right to be there than the brother. He refused to go with police and had to be physically removed following standard procedure for non-compliant suspects.

I'm not questioning whether the police did the right thing. I'm only questioning whether bigotry against homosexuals had anything to do with the hospital and police response, rather than a typical miscommunication that resulted in mistakes being made.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

QueenofHearts

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2013, 09:09:20 pm »
Actually, as of January 2011, he had more right to be there than the brother. The Department of Health and Human Services has a set of guidelines for any hospital receiving government funds (including but not limited Medicare & Medicaid) that they can not discriminate visitation on the basis of sexual orientation nor gender identity. They should have, and were obligated to, treat Gorley as Allen's spouse and allow visitation to him over Allen's shitty family. I also sincerely doubt Gorley would've been kicked out if he were Allen's wife, all things being equal.

Second, if he was disruptive, so the fuck what?!? His husband is on his death bed and the family who abandoned his husband is fighting to make sure he can't be there for the one he loves most. That would get just about anybody whipped into a frenzy.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2013, 09:25:23 pm »
Actually, as of January 2011, he had more right to be there than the brother. The Department of Health and Human Services has a set of guidelines for any hospital receiving government funds (including but not limited Medicare & Medicaid) that they can not discriminate visitation on the basis of sexual orientation nor gender identity. They should have, and were obligated to, treat Gorley as Allen's spouse and allow visitation to him over Allen's shitty family. I also sincerely doubt Gorley would've been kicked out if he were Allen's wife, all things being equal.

Again, he never displayed his paperwork that indicated that he had power of attorney. It's very probable that whoever elected to boot him out had no idea who he was in relation to the patient. Again, miscommunication and misunderstandings can cause a hell of a lot of problems. We can't just think "Oh, they were being mean and evil bigots" without proof.

Second, if he was disruptive, so the fuck what?!? His husband is on his death bed and the family who abandoned his husband is fighting to make sure he can't be there for the one he loves most. That would get just about anybody whipped into a frenzy.

That's all well and good, but it's not how hospitals work. If people are fighting loud enough OUTSIDE of the patient's room to disrupt the nearby patients, they'll get removed. All patients have a right to comfort and peace and the doctors and nurses have a right to a good working environment. No matter how emotional and heated things get, there are standards of respect that everyone has to follow. They were too emotional to settle anything peacefully, and thus would have very rightly been removed. The only problem I'm seeing is that only ONE person was immediately pulled out by police after refusing to leave rather than both of them.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

QueenofHearts

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2013, 10:09:08 pm »
So, all gay couples now must carry papers of their civil unions (of which Gorley & Allen were in for five years) and their joint-powers of attorney at all times, because if they don't then a hospital can boot one out during their loved one's last moments and issue a restraining order preventing the loved one from coming back (both back in general and back with relevant paperwork). Likewise, the hospital can choose to not look up the documents when the couple had visited in the past. The hospital had the power of attorney documents on file from Allen's past visits to the psychiatric unit. I understand you're trying to be "level-headed" but you're just defending a shitty & homophobic status quo and making same sex couples jump through hoops just to enjoy the same protections that heterosexual couples enjoy (hoops which still may not be enough). A man and women don't need to carry their marriage license they're believed on the spot, but two dudes, nope that's crazy.

Second, the man had every right to make a scene when 1) he was being denied visitation which he had the legal protections and rights to do 2) I am sure the hospital is blowing it out of proportion. This is nothing but after the fact excuses by a hospital which broke federal laws and is trying to save their federal funding. Fact, The Hospital had power of attorney papers on file and refused to look at them. Fact, nothing in Missouri law prevents same-sex couples from making power-of-attorney agreements. Fact, Allen & Gorley were in a five year civil union. Fact, DHHS guidelines demand that such unions be recognized for visitation. Fact, the hospital ignored the civil union in favor of the family telling the Gorley to leave. Fact, in Missouri power of attorney rights can not be trumped by relatives (rights which again the hospital had on file). That is why Gorley got angry and he had every right to be in that situation. Anybody in that situation who isn't a sociopath or a robot would act the exact same. Gorley had his rights to be at the deathbed of the love of his life trampled and I'm sure his justified anger was blown out of proportion as an excuse to legitimize homophobic behavior. However, right now it is a he-said/she-said of the hospital, but fact of the matter is the hospital acted inappropriately. The facts presented clearly state that Gorley had the right to boot the family from visiting, not the other way around.

This is just another example that minorities need to be on their best fucking behavior when they go in public to get the same powers and privileges of their majority counterparts.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2013, 10:24:42 pm »
So, all gay couples now must carry papers of their civil unions (of which Gorley & Allen were in for five years) and their joint-powers of attorney at all times, because if they don't then a hospital can boot one out during their loved one's last moments and issue a restraining order preventing the loved one from coming back (both back in general and back with relevant paperwork). Likewise, the hospital can choose to not look up the documents when the couple had visited in the past. The hospital had the power of attorney documents on file from Allen's past visits to the psychiatric unit. I understand you're trying to be "level-headed" but you're just defending a shitty & homophobic status quo and making same sex couples jump through hoops just to enjoy the same protections that heterosexual couples enjoy (hoops which still may not be enough). A man and women don't need to carry their marriage license they're believed on the spot, but two dudes, nope that's crazy.

Second, the man had every right to make a scene when 1) he was being denied visitation which he had the legal protections and rights to do 2) I am sure the hospital is blowing it out of proportion. This is nothing but after the fact excuses by a hospital which broke federal laws and is trying to save their federal funding. Fact, The Hospital had power of attorney papers on file and refused to look at them. Fact, nothing in Missouri law prevents same-sex couples from making power-of-attorney agreements. Fact, Allen & Gorley were in a five year civil union. Fact, DHHS guidelines demand that such unions be recognized for visitation. Fact, the hospital ignored the civil union in favor of the family telling the Gorley to leave. Fact, in Missouri power of attorney rights can not be trumped by relatives (rights which again the hospital had on file). That is why Gorley got angry and he had every right to be in that situation. Anybody in that situation who isn't a sociopath or a robot would act the exact same. Gorley had his rights to be at the deathbed of the love of his life trampled and I'm sure his justified anger was blown out of proportion as an excuse to legitimize homophobic behavior. However, right now it is a he-said/she-said of the hospital, but fact of the matter is the hospital acted inappropriately. The facts presented clearly state that Gorley had the right to boot the family from visiting, not the other way around.

This is just another example that minorities need to be on their best fucking behavior when they go in public to get the same powers and privileges of their majority counterparts.

Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline TheUnknown

• The Beast
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2013, 10:39:56 pm »
. . . He was on his deathbed?  I thought someone said the brother forced him to go to the hospital because the brother lied to police about him being suicidal.  Or were you talking about hypotheticals?  I'm not being sarcastic, I'm genuinely confused.

QueenofHearts

« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2013, 10:47:11 pm »
Eh, I misread that. One article I read said "But no amount of money or legal redress can make up for not being able to be at your loved one’s side when they need you most." and I the first part (up to legal redress) caused me to brainfart and think terminal illness. Sorry for any confusion.

Offline Yaezakura

• The Pokemon Mistress
  • God
  • Little Lesbian Gaming Goddess
    • A Mayor's Tale - The daily trials of an Animal Crossing Mayor
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2013, 10:47:58 pm »

Again, he never displayed his paperwork that indicated that he had power of attorney. It's very probable that whoever elected to boot him out had no idea who he was in relation to the patient. Again, miscommunication and misunderstandings can cause a hell of a lot of problems. We can't just think "Oh, they were being mean and evil bigots" without proof.

That's all well and good, but it's not how hospitals work. If people are fighting loud enough OUTSIDE of the patient's room to disrupt the nearby patients, they'll get removed. All patients have a right to comfort and peace and the doctors and nurses have a right to a good working environment. No matter how emotional and heated things get, there are standards of respect that everyone has to follow. They were too emotional to settle anything peacefully, and thus would have very rightly been removed. The only problem I'm seeing is that only ONE person was immediately pulled out by police after refusing to leave rather than both of them.

Legally, he's not required to present any paperwork proving he has the power of attorney. They simply have to take his word for it--especially since the patient himself was saying he wanted his husband to stay. Legally, that is the end of the road. The hospital had no reason at all to doubt his position. But they did it anyway, in direct violation of federal regulations.

Offline erictheblue

• The Beast
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2013, 08:32:26 am »
QoH hit the nail on the head. I just want to emphasis one more point...

especially since the patient himself was saying he wanted his husband to stay.

I could understand there being confusion if the nurse was not aware of the situation. To be honest, there could even be some confusion about which man was the husband and which was the brother. (Siblings do not always look alike...) It would be possible (unlikely, but possible) for the nurse to throw the husband out, thinking he was the brother, and allowing the brother to stay because she thought he was the husband with the PoA.

But all of that goes out the window when the patient himself is speaking up and asking for his husband to be allowed to stay. That alone should answer any questions of identity and who has the legal authority.
[Anonymous is] like... an internet Cthulu... you don't want to rouse them, but at the same time... woah think of the beautiful chaos! - SpaceProg

shykid

« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2013, 10:37:08 am »
You can't make this shit up:

“It makes news because of the f*gs,” says HCA employee of bias charge

A former employee of Research Medical Center, and a current employee of a Hospital Corporation of America (HCA) subsidiary – HCA is the parent company of Research Medical – says the hospital does not discriminate against “f*gs.”

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2013, 11:58:10 am »

A former employee of Research Medical Center, and a current employee of a Hospital Corporation of America (HCA) subsidiary – HCA is the parent company of Research Medical – says the hospital does not discriminate against “f*gs.”

And they reveal their true colors! Again, I say...LAWSUIT TIME!

You have a married gay couple, one of them have controlling, homophobic psycho siblings who get him hospitalized under false pretenses. Said hospital is not the one the gay man regularly uses & is run by homophobes. The whole thing from the hospitalization onwards screams HOMOPHOBIC KIDNAPPING HATE CRIME!

This is PURE EVIL!

Something must be done! No wonder the other husband went bonkers! I'd be postal, too! My man was basically kidnapped!

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2013, 12:17:49 pm »
Taking the daughter's lengthy eyewitness report to heart, I am again going to call the nurse - who had treated the patient many times before (this was the same ward in the same hospital he got his periodic shock therapy at), who knew his partner, who knew about the medical POA, who was Not in the least confused as to who was who in that hospital room > boom! She is ground zero, she called in security against the legal spouse, knowing full fucking well it was wrong. She's a homophobic cunt! And the security and the cops were total thugs to the husband. And I want to strangle the patient's brother, who in my opinion, committed kidnapping by way of a malicious false report to the EMTs and cops that hauled the patient from his home in the first place.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline TheUnknown

• The Beast
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2013, 02:29:42 pm »

Ah, she's one of those: scream free speech when receiving backlash for comments she made, because it somehow exempts her from criticism.  Why am I not surprised?  Though from the comments, she was probably told not to say those things if she valued her job, thinking that she can get away with doing whatever when she's not on the clock.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 02:32:04 pm by Iosa the Invincible »