Author Topic: Arsonist kills a family, gets away with it  (Read 3503 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Arsonist kills a family, gets away with it
« on: June 09, 2016, 04:29:01 am »
http://newcenturytimes.com/2016/06/06/israeli-who-burned-palestinian-baby-to-death-released-from-custody-without-charge-video/

http://english.pnn.ps/2016/06/01/israeli-muderer-of-dawabsheh-family-released/

TL;DR Israeli man set a house on fire killing three people (18-month old baby and parents) and severely injuring one. After being held in custody for several months he has now been released and the only punishment he got was a ban on entering Palestinian zones or contacting certain people.

An Israeli who burned a Palestinian family to death while they were sleeping in their home was released from custody ten months after he was detained for the incident by Israeli authorities. Meir Ettinger, 20, led the arson attack on the Dawabsheh home in the village of Duma located in illegally occupied Palestine in July, 2015. The attack burned 18-month-old Ali Dawabsha to death instantly. His parents both later died of their burns at a hospital. Their first child, four-year-old Ahmad, was burned over 60% of his body and he spent months in the hospital but he survived the attack and continues to recover.

However, Haaretz reported that Ettinger remains under various restrictions, including a ban from the West Bank and East Jerusalem and a curfew. He is also barred from making contact with 93 people.

Following his detention, a judge noted that Ettinger encouraged acts of violence that harmed Israel’s security, and that he organized a violent revolt aimed at toppling the state.

...What the hell is wrong with these people? Three murders and all he gets is a slap on the wrist? AND it seems like he is punished only for making people not like Israel.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
Re: Arsonist kills a family, gets away with it
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2016, 04:47:12 am »
Remember, if you commit a crime, but you're one of the people we like (or your victim was one of the people we hate, or especially both), you didn't really commit a crime.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2016, 06:49:46 am »
And I thought the Stanford Rapist who got six months was the most rage inducing thing Id see today. I was wrong.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2016, 09:03:27 am »
Its an Isreali that killed a Palestinian.  What, did you think they'd actually get charged with something?  My sweet summer child, Israel and her people can do no wrong against the untermenschen subhumans Palestinians.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2016, 10:17:14 pm »
Its an Isreali that killed a Palestinian.  What, did you think they'd actually get charged with something?  My sweet summer child, Israel and her people can do no wrong against the untermenschen subhumans Palestinians.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/057b152f06f44961b63698c6971152c8/israel-demolishes-home-palestinian-who-killed-2-israelis

Granted, it would be nice to see this applied more consistently, but Israelis do get punished for the murders of Palestinians.

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2016, 10:31:11 pm »
ITT, Ultie proves he does not understand exaggeration for effect. Though I find it amusing that even in his article, the prosecutor seems more angry about the damage done to Israel than to the Palestinian teenager's family.
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2016, 11:14:44 pm »

This arsonist learned the act of malignity from the very best at it.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Art Vandelay

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2016, 12:02:32 am »
It does kind of make sense. International reputation is the only reason Israel isn't simply having the Palestinians lined up and shot. Naturally, the same reasoning in applied at both the governmental and individual levels.

Heh, it's kind of both a single standard and a double standard at the same time.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2016, 12:13:45 am »
Allow me to present Exhibit B: Asher Weisgan.

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2016, 12:15:38 am »
I want to point out this:

From the first article linked in the OP. Now, it's small, but we can still see that over 90% of complaints by Palestinians against Israelis don't even result in an indictment, much less a conviction. In fact, of those cases that do result in an indictment, almost a fourth of those are listed as "found guilty but not convicted", which is pretty damning on its own. The key line is "Only 2.5% of complaints by Palestinians result in an identification, indictment, and conviction".

But this statistic is useless without a comparison. So how about we compare it to the general conviction rate of the 75 largest countries in the world, in 2006?

Thankfully, we have a convenient study there that gives us that number.

It's 2/3. 66% of felony defendants are convicted. Even if we only count cases with an indictment, Israel isn't even managing half that. And to me, that's pretty damning.

And it's not hard to damn Israel.

To Ultimate Paragon, I have three words: statistics over anecdotes.

EDIT: Fixed broken link.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 12:18:08 am by Eiki-mun »
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2016, 12:39:59 am »

From the first article linked in the OP. Now, it's small, but we can still see that over 90% of complaints by Palestinians against Israelis don't even result in an indictment, much less a conviction. In fact, of those cases that do result in an indictment, almost a fourth of those are listed as "found guilty but not convicted", which is pretty damning on its own. The key line is "Only 2.5% of complaints by Palestinians result in an identification, indictment, and conviction".

But this statistic is useless without a comparison. So how about we compare it to the general conviction rate of the 75 largest countries in the world, in 2006?

It's 2/3. 66% of felony defendants are convicted. Even if we only count cases with an indictment, Israel isn't even managing half that. And to me, that's pretty damning.

Yeah, it looks damning, but let's not jump to conclusions.  If you don't mind, I'd like to do some research, see if there are other possible explanations.

Still, I have to admit, you present a good case.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2016, 03:11:32 am »
Is this going to be like the Canadian law thread?

Oh, what am I saying? Of course it's going to be like that.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2016, 03:20:16 am »
Is this going to be like the Canadian law thread?

Oh, what am I saying? Of course it's going to be like that.

Israel is one of UP's bugbears, along with countries that have superior systems of government and That Topic We Shall Not Mention.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2016, 04:30:33 am »

Yeah, it looks damning, but let's not jump to conclusions.  If you don't mind, I'd like to do some research, see if there are other possible explanations.

Still, I have to admit, you present a good case.
Reaching a conclusion based on statistical evidence does not require us to wait on you to dig  up a barely related link to present.to us in a fortnight first.

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2016, 07:23:04 am »
This case is much more understandable than it seems at first.

The asshole in question is an extremist leader who incites violence but there is no evidence he was directly involved in the attack or even knew about it beforehand. Yes, he encourages such actions and should be kept accountable for it but he is not an actual arsonist himself. He was detained for almost a year without charges so it seems there actually wasn't enough evidence against him. It seems that the international community put enough pressure for Israel to take this investigation seriously. There are even claims about torture of the suspects after UN admonished Israel for the slow pace of the investigation.

Whether the Israeli justice systems gives a fair deal to Palestinians - it seems it doesn't - is a separate issue. The facts of this particular case are more complicated.