Author Topic: TED - A Case for Introversion  (Read 3716 times)

Offline Whore of Spamylon

• Bishop
TED - A Case for Introversion
« on: March 05, 2012, 04:11:10 am »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0KYU2j0TM4" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0KYU2j0TM4</a>

“Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes.” - William Gibson

Offline Caitshidhe

• The Keeper of the Kupos
  • The Beast
    • Axiom Speaks
Re: TED - A Case for Introversion
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 07:56:28 am »
It was an interesting talk. I'm not sure I agree 100% that introverts are inherently better thinkers and more creative just because we do what we do on our own--there's no rule that says ideas don't 'count' if it was a group effort--but it was refreshing to hear someone else say what I've thought for ages. That the modern world is overwhelmingly biased in favour of the outgoing and extroverted and anybody who doesn't like being surrounded by groups of people and public speaking is somehow faulty or potentially mentally ill or is lacking in some way. You should know how to work in groups but you should also know how to work alone--and the option should always be there for people TO work alone. Being assigned a group project in school was a source of intense anxiety for me--not because I ended up carrying everyone's weight, but because I don't function well in a group. This was treated like some kind of leprosy. Like I had a severe problem that needed fixing.

It would do well for everyone to realize that the whole world doesn't--and can't--do things precisely the same way.
'The idea that things must have a beginning is really due to the poverty of our imaginations.' -- Bertrand Russel

Offline StallChaser

• Pope
  • (Haseen on the old board)
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 08:45:48 am »
This kind of bias is especially bad in college admissions.  It's all about how many clubs and extracurricular activities you do.  In one instance, as I was attempting to fill out my interests in an online form, it went directly to "what club/organization is this for, and what is your position in its hierarchy?"  As if all individual pursuits are invalid. 

Offline Caitshidhe

• The Keeper of the Kupos
  • The Beast
    • Axiom Speaks
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 11:42:54 am »
I remember something similar. I was attending some kind of seminar or other on how to best fill out your applications when you transferred to a four-year school (I went to a two-year college and most people did continue on) and they showed a 'sample' resume and the woman giving the talk point out how only a very small portion of it was actual academic achievements. The rest of it was dedicated to what kind of clubs and activities and volunteer work had been done. The speaker then went on to talk about how important clubs were, and that we should join as many as we wanted, because colleges didn't just care about how you would function in a classroom setting but how you would do in SOCIAL settings as well. Joining clubs was talked about like it was a crucial part of the whole process. It all seemed extremely superfluous and very unfair to me. Not everyone WANTS to be a part of a club--why is something ostensibly 'optional' treated like a serious deciding factor? It shouldn't. There could be a number of reasons people don't join clubs, from not being interested in any of the club activities to being too busy with schoolwork. I understand not wanting an entire student body composed of nothing but hermits, but treating introversion like a fault is as stupid and unfair as treating left-handedness as a fault.
'The idea that things must have a beginning is really due to the poverty of our imaginations.' -- Bertrand Russel

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 12:49:19 pm »
Yeaaaaaaaah...I didn't join any fucking clubs or shit when I was in high school.  We had nothing that interested me.  Considering I grew up in AR and went to LR Central High (REMEMBAR LITTLE ROCK NINE!!!11eleventy), I'm surprised there were any extracurricular activities aside from sports, mostly football.  No tech clubs at fucking ALL.  Course, computers were either seen as a tool/hobby at best, and high-tech sorcery at worst, sooo...yeah.

That, and I personally find large groups of people to be exhausting at the best of times.  God help me if I, through no fault of my own, happen to forget my anxiety meds one day and do that crap...  So, yeah.  Fuck that jank.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 03:32:47 pm »
I attribute my introversion to misanthropy.  I did once join the Army, but that was by special invitation from the draft board.
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline Sixth Monarchist

• God
  • The spirit of 1776.
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 03:48:38 pm »
Yeaaaaaaaah...I didn't join any fucking clubs

There was no Fucking Club when I was a teenager, which only made High School all the more frustrating.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 04:00:32 pm by CtraK »
Marvel reviews, "Last Movie You Watched", p. 75-76.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 03:58:23 pm »
HA, yours had a club, mine had blowjob lines.  Literally, there were girls who would go to out-of-the-way spots (which were numerous, Central is nothing if not huge) and sell blowjobs.  No, I'm not kidding...I wish I were.

Offline gyeonghwa

• Uppity and Proud of It
  • The Beast
  • That angry queer your tone trolls warned you about
    • Queer & Khmer
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2012, 04:11:05 pm »
It's just a tad bit insulting to say that my ideas are somehow inferior just because I'm extroverted.
That may be the single gayest thing I have ever read on this board. Or the old one. ;)

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2012, 06:30:24 pm »
Ain't sayin there's anything wrong with being extroverted.  Least, I'm not...what I'm tryin to say is that, whether introvert or extrovert, we should be viewed, for college admissions, more on our qualifications than our social skills.  Granted, social skills are very important, but so are scholastic skills.

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2012, 07:51:08 pm »
I think that extroversion and introversion come with different advantages that, in the right environment, complement each other. Unfortunately I've seen some idiots - yes, even introverts - devolve this message into "hurr durr introverts are better." It's not that introverts are inherently more logical thinkers, it's that the characteristics and gifts of extroversion are taken for granted in today's society, so it's expected for everyone to have them.
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2012, 08:34:15 pm »
I haven't watched the video yet, I will soon.

However, I have to say, I am an introvert and happy that way, and while I am friendly with you guys, I'm most definitely not extroverted.

I hate how jobs seem to be mostly about people you know (because I don't know anybody, really) rather than what your skills are.  They also tend to judge your performance based on your social ability.  You could be an excellent candidate for the job, but because you don't have any references (because all of your previous references were religious in nature, for instance) or because you stutter a little bit while answering questions, you are somehow not qualified to stock shelves or bring in the carts from outside.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2012, 11:12:27 pm »
I'm an introvert and I do have anxiety/sensory problems when faced with groups or crowds or loud places. However, in one-on-one situations and conversations I am surprisingly eloquent, if I do say so myself. *pats self on back* My only problems are that 1) 99% of "group projects" should just be handled by myself to avoid the waste of time that is "teamwork", and 2) I am soft-spoken to the point where I think I've lost my ability to yell. I don't know, I haven't tried lately.

My self-confidence is actually quite high, I'm fine with the number of friends I have (about three IRL) and I'm not "shy" in the conventional sense of the word - it's just that socializing is incredibly draining and after a while ceases to be fulfilling for me, even while extroverts continue to find it stimulating and want more of it, for some bizarre reason. I need mah batteries recharged.
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.