Author Topic: Things That Annoy You  (Read 2024174 times)

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
Re: Things That Annoy You
« Reply #10560 on: August 27, 2017, 12:17:50 am »
[a bunch of stuff about hashes]

You hash the PIN. If it matches the stored hash, great. If it fails, hash the reverse of the PIN. If it matches, then enter the emergency mode. If the reverse also fails, then the PIN is just wrong. Throw an error.

I mean, please don't call something impossible unless you've at least thought about what it would take to implement it. Sure, the scheme I described is vulnerable to timing attacks, but you'd need millisecond timing to detect it.

Doesn't work unless you already know the plaintext.  Ideally, NOBODY knows the plaintext; either way is too insecure for modern use.  Again, just because two strings are the opposite of one another doesn't mean their hashes will be opposites.

Proof:

md5 of 'asdf:' 912ec803b2ce49e4a541068d495ab570
md5 of 'fdsa:' fc2baa1a20b4d5190b122b383d7449fd
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 12:55:36 am by RavynousHunter »
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #10561 on: August 27, 2017, 08:09:47 am »
This headline is a lie and propaganda: http://observer.com/2017/08/court-admits-dnc-and-debbie-wasserman-schulz-rigged-primaries-against-sanders/

The point is that EVEN IF all the claims were true, DNC would not have done anything illegal BUT the court does not comment on whether any of the claims are true.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

pyro

« Reply #10562 on: August 27, 2017, 01:10:37 pm »
[a bunch of stuff about hashes]

You hash the PIN. If it matches the stored hash, great. If it fails, hash the reverse of the PIN. If it matches, then enter the emergency mode. If the reverse also fails, then the PIN is just wrong. Throw an error.

I mean, please don't call something impossible unless you've at least thought about what it would take to implement it. Sure, the scheme I described is vulnerable to timing attacks, but you'd need millisecond timing to detect it.

Doesn't work unless you already know the plaintext.  Ideally, NOBODY knows the plaintext; either way is too insecure for modern use.  Again, just because two strings are the opposite of one another doesn't mean their hashes will be opposites.

Proof:

md5 of 'asdf:' 912ec803b2ce49e4a541068d495ab570
md5 of 'fdsa:' fc2baa1a20b4d5190b122b383d7449fd

I'm not sure where the misunderstanding is, so let's go through it again...

The database server, somewhere far away from the ATM, has '912ec803b2ce49e4a541068d495ab570' stored in it, connected to your debit card number. It does not know the plaintext PIN, just this hash.

You typed in 'fdsa' into the ATM. The ATM hashes it to 'fc2baa1a20b4d5190b122b383d7449fd' and sends that hash to the server. The server, of course, responds that it is not a match.

So the ATM hashes it again, but in reverse ('asdf'), producing the hash '912ec803b2ce49e4a541068d495ab570' which it sends to the server. The server responds that it is a match. The ATM sends another command to the server saying that the cops should be called.

The server never knows the plaintext PIN. The ATM does, temporarily, but even in normal authentication it needs to know the PIN to hash it.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #10563 on: August 27, 2017, 02:31:08 pm »
That is possible, I suppose.  However, it doesn't account for the possibility that the person's either just screwing around (like, let's say they let their kid enter the PIN because parents are like that) or got it mixed up in their head (for example, if its a new PIN).  Eventually, the police are going to start charging the bank for all these false alarms because you can, and will, be fined for wasting their time.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Svata

• Doesn't even fucking know anymore
  • The Beast
  • No, seriously, fuck astrology.
« Reply #10564 on: August 27, 2017, 02:55:35 pm »
Also, palindromes.
"Politician" is the occupational equivalent of "Florida".

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #10565 on: August 27, 2017, 03:08:46 pm »
Also, palindromes.

Hi!

Also, if you have 4-digit PINs, barring palindromes would just cut the number of allowable PINs from 10,000 to 9,900. So it's not that big a restriction, I think. If you have 5-digit PINs, that restriction cuts it from 100,000 to 99,000.

Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

pyro

« Reply #10566 on: August 27, 2017, 08:27:43 pm »
That is possible, I suppose.  However, it doesn't account for the possibility that the person's either just screwing around (like, let's say they let their kid enter the PIN because parents are like that) or got it mixed up in their head (for example, if its a new PIN).  Eventually, the police are going to start charging the bank for all these false alarms because you can, and will, be fined for wasting their time.

I never said it was a good idea.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #10567 on: August 31, 2017, 09:20:03 am »
Got suspended by Twitter today.  I bet it's because I was annoying a Nazi.

Ironbite-dicks.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #10568 on: September 01, 2017, 12:23:07 am »
...I remember reading a rant from an incel how "having daughters is the ultimate cuckoldry." It ws bad and creepy.

...But just today I saw the rant being used as an erp prompt and I'm afraid to find out if it's the same guy fetishizing his hypothetical daughter or just someone making fun of the original rant...
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Lana Reverse

• The Beast
« Reply #10569 on: September 01, 2017, 07:47:25 pm »
Jerks who make fun of fat people exercising. They're actively trying to lose weight, what more do you want?
Beware those who hate the rich more than they love the poor.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #10570 on: September 06, 2017, 10:17:49 am »
On a different forum I often visit there's a guy spamming pro-pedophilia links and trying to start a conversation on how he thinks people should be allowed to fuck kids.

Aside from being reported, getting his OP deleted by a mod and several people telling him to stfu there was also a couple people playing the devil's advocate and trying to defend him in the name of free speech...

Also by lying about what he said and trying to make it seem that he was merely talking about hypotethical situations or fiction when he was clearly was not being in any way hypotethical...

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #10571 on: September 06, 2017, 05:04:38 pm »
Jerks who make fun of fat people...

That alone is enough for me.  Ha, it's funny coz they have a serious medical condition, often caused by or at least closely tied in with severe mental health issues including but not limited to depression and eating disorders, that will lead to their early death.  Nothing funnier than that, am I right?

pyro

« Reply #10572 on: September 06, 2017, 09:00:32 pm »
You can describe anything in a way that makes it sound unfunny. Having a quick temper is also a comedy staple, but that's also tied to mental health conditions. Johnny Dangerously make fun of smokers, by having them coughing, wheezing, and dropping dead on the spot; I've had family members die from lung cancer connected to smoking, but the way the situation was timed and portrayed was still really funny (the fact that it was sort of making fun of heavy-handed PSAs helped, too). I know a lot of people on this forum make fun of religious fundamentalism, even though it's commonly an outlet for mental health issues and it causes serious and unfunny problems in real people's lives.

Implying that fatness indicates a moral failing is kinda awful, but having a fat guy get trapped in a doorway doesn't imply that any more than having an excessively skinny chick fall through the grates of a sidewalk storm drain.

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #10573 on: September 07, 2017, 03:20:01 am »
You can describe anything in a way that makes it sound unfunny. Having a quick temper is also a comedy staple, but that's also tied to mental health conditions....

False equivalence - there's a big fuckin' difference between laughing at a comedy character and laughing at and making fun of real people to their face, or even behind their back for that matter.  Even if the comedy character is acted by an actual fat guy and the joke is that he's fat it's still two different things.  For one thing the actor in question, say Kevin James for a lazy example, has decided to use his physical appearance as the basis of his career.  He's intentionally and willingly put himself out there specifically for people to laugh at him in return for cash.  That fat person you knew at school?  That fat guy at work?  They haven't done that.  They have not consentually offered themselves to you for your amusement.  And as for characters like Homer Simpson or Peter Griffin?  Well they don't even exist.  For a non body related example of what I mean, using Homer, I'm sure you've laughed at Homer strangling Bart at some point in your life, but would you laugh at a real father strangling his real child?  I bloody well hope not.  I hope you'd call the police.

Have I laughed at the antics and misfortunes of fat/skinny/angry characters in fictional shows and movies?  Yes I probably have.  But IMO there is nothing funny in real life about fat/skinny/angry people (I mean have you ever known someone with a seriously bad temper? They ain't funny, they're fucking terrifying and upsetting) and if you mock and laugh at fat/skinny/angry people in real life then you're an asshole and you can go fuckyourself.

As for fundies - yeah but not all fundies are fundies due to health problems (in fact in my experience most are not mentally ill, I'm from Northern Ireland we got a lot of 'em so I know plenty and none of them are fundies due to mental illness) and the ones that aren't mentally ill are fair game because fundamentalism is basically just an opinion, and opinions are fair game if you're sound of mind.  Opinions are a direct reflection of who you are as a person and if you're a fundie you're likely bad person on some level.  Like being a Nazi - it's an ideology, an opinion...and it makes you a bad person.  Being fat is ALWAYS linked to health problems....being fat IS a health problem, there are no exceptions.  And being fat is not an opinion you hold, it does not automatically demonstrate you are a horrible person.  You can be fat and be a terrible human being, but the two aren't connected.  Plus as far as I know obesity doesn't cause people to deny gay people the same rights as everyone else and tell them they're going to hell or blow up abortion clinics.  Some people who've done such thigns may be fat but it's coincidental, they didn't do it because they're fat.

We have actually had obviously mentally ill fundies being mocked on FSTDT in the past, on at least one occasion that I remember, and I did actually say to everyone basically, "This guy is clearly an actual schizophrenic. I'm not ok with making fun of the mentally ill we should be better than this.  Can we cut it out please?" and people did stop it.  So when we do come across one who is actually mentally unwell, and someone points it out, we drop it.  Coz to paraphrase George Clooney from Dusk 'till Dawn, we may be bastards but we're not fucking bastards.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 03:41:16 am by Katsuro »

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #10574 on: September 07, 2017, 04:18:31 am »
Even ignoring all that - why are you defending bullies?  Can't we all agree to the principle of "Don't be an asshole and if someone isn't hurting anyone then just leave them the fuck alone"?

And don't pull the old and tired, "Well fat people are hurting others coz if they die it will affect their loved ones" horseshit.  You could say that about just about anything.