Author Topic: Partial solar eclipse tonight!  (Read 1440 times)

Offline Her3tiK

• Suffers in Sanity
  • The Beast
  • Learn to Swim
    • HeretiK Productions
Partial solar eclipse tonight!
« on: May 20, 2012, 10:29:19 am »
From about 5:30 to 7:45. So I've got my plans for the evening. Griffith Observatory has an entire wing devoted to watching the sun; the cameras they've got aimed at it should have some spectacular footage.
Her3tik, you have groupies.
Ego: +5

There are a number of ways, though my favourite is simply to take them by surprise. They're just walking down the street, minding their own business when suddenly, WHACK! Penis to the face.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Re: Partial solar eclipse tonight!
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 11:29:34 am »
In Finland the eclipse is only visible in the most northern part of our country so I'm gonna miss this one.

And considering that the eclipse starts 02:24 the sun is going to be pretty low. (But still visible. Midnight sun and all that.)
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Zygarde

• Black trans queen of FQA
  • The Beast
  • Fuck trees, I climb clouds, motherfucker!'
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2012, 01:08:46 pm »
I doubt I will be able to see it but if I can it will be spectacular.

Offline starseeker

• God
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012, 01:13:19 pm »
Don't think I can see it from here. I wish I both could and that I had access to the solar telescopes I used at uni.

Offline Star Cluster

• Pope
  • I need my space.
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2012, 04:53:53 pm »
I'm on the east coast so I'm S-O-L on this one (hmmm, unintended pun there, but it works.)  But I'd have my scope out with the solar filter on if it were visible here.
The heavens convince me there is no god.

Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.--Steven Weinberg

Religion can never reform mankind because religion is slavery--Robert G. Ingersoll

I don't know why people compare George Carlin to God. He's great and all, but he's no George Carlin.-Anon.

Offline Her3tiK

• Suffers in Sanity
  • The Beast
  • Learn to Swim
    • HeretiK Productions
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2012, 11:21:07 pm »
Here's the only pic I managed to capture before my phone died (bad planning on my part). The screen is a live image from the observatory's solar telescope. Due to the angle of reflection from the mirrors that brought us the image, the sun is rotated around 100 degrees counterclockwise, putting the actual eclipse at the lower right corner. I'm sure better pics will show up online later, but here's something for you east coasters who wanted to see it.
Her3tik, you have groupies.
Ego: +5

There are a number of ways, though my favourite is simply to take them by surprise. They're just walking down the street, minding their own business when suddenly, WHACK! Penis to the face.

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2012, 11:45:21 pm »
Wouldn't have been able to see it even if it was visible round here.  It was pretty cloud-shrouded all day.
EDIT: As it is here just about EVERY memorable celestial event.  Yay.