Author Topic: Doomsday Clock Moved 1 Minute Closer to Midnight  (Read 10600 times)

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
Re: Doomsday Clock Moved 1 Minute Closer to Midnight
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2012, 12:50:36 am »
If Fallout happens...start hording bottle caps

Ironbite-you will not regret it.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2012, 07:13:38 am »
If Fallout happens...start hording bottle caps

Ironbite-you will not regret it.

You're an idiot. Who hoards bottle caps after the bombs drop if we know to do it beforehand? I've got a collection already. I feel bad for you folks who don't.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2012, 09:50:25 am »
Lithp, you say it's disingenuous to call it fear mongering. Ok. I'll play along. But it is still called a Doomsday Clock, right? But hey, what's in a name, right? So we'll move on from that rather silly point. It's used to make us aware of how our actions along with natural forces push us towards and away from the precipice of our survival as a species. And they science the hell out of observable data, make models, study them to hell and back. Cool. That's what our scientists should be doing. Then, based on all of the peer reviewed data, they push the minute hand closer or further away as needed. Then someone calls the Washington Post or whoever and announces it, most likely through a press release. That's my summed up understanding from the Wiki article.

The work the Doomsday Clock people do is important. And I do not in the slightest mean to take away from that. As I said earlier, these are the things that should be studied. But the clock counting down to midnight? Really? That rings waaay too much of fire and brimstone. "The end is nigh" and "It's five minutes to midnight for our species" sound eerily similar. Our side is that of Truth and Beauty, theirs is more for revisionist history and a warped morality. Our side uses facts and established peer reviewed processes while theirs is more into myths, strawmen, and shifting goalposts. But the methods are the same. Proclaim a violent painful death unless we change our ways.

But we are the side for truth and beauty. So I'll concede. The Doomsday Clock can be the whatever the happy euphemism for fear mongering is.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline N. De Plume

• Mysterious Writing Implement
  • The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2012, 11:09:07 am »
Well, since midnight is supposed to represent some form of apocalypse, they will only move it to midnight if something that guarantees that apocalypse occurs and they are not killed in the first expression of that event.

That's fucking dedication.
I can only hope they are that dedicated. :D
-A Pen Name