Author Topic: Marines Desecrate Afghan Corpses  (Read 13949 times)

Offline Rabbit of Caerbannog

• He's Got Great Big Teeth and the Holy Hand Grenade!
  • The Beast
  • Hit me with your best shot! Fire awaaaay!
Marines Desecrate Afghan Corpses
« on: January 15, 2012, 02:46:23 am »
Four Marine snipers were videotaped urinating on the corpses of Taliban members in yet another PR nightmare for the U.S. (Don't worry, there's no actual video in the link and everything is censored.) The four are pretty much guilty of not only monumental stupidity (seriously, having it filmed and putting it online?!) but also breaching the laws of armed conflict which prohibit "defiling, desecrating, mocking, photographing or filming for personal use insurgent dead." Oops.

As disrespectful and disgusting as this was, however, Hamilton Nolan of gawker.com puts everything in the proper perspective.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
Re: Marines Desecrate Afghan Corpses
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 03:08:27 am »
Gotta go with what Mr. Nolan said.

Ironbtie-war is disgusting and the sooner we leave this quagmire the better.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 04:58:59 am »
Well a corpse is essentially just an inanimate object, and as such I don't have any ethical/moral issues with this. It is, however, monumentally stupid since these people are essentially representing America over there and since the locals largely don't share my views on the (lack of) importance of dead bodies. In any occupation, endearing yourself and by extension your country to the locals is just as, if not more important than fighting insurgents.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 06:19:07 am by Art Vandelay »

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2012, 06:11:20 am »
Yeah, when I first heard about this I couldn't help by slam my head against a wall.  THESE are the people the insurgents will remember.  Not the soldier that kicked around a ball with some of the local children.  Just another way the idiots in our country just give these people more ammo.
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2012, 08:40:42 am »
Well a corpse is essentially just an inanimate object, and as such I don't have any ethical/moral issues with this.

Dude.  A corpse is not the same thing as a brick.  You do not disrespect the dead.  Even if they were your enemies in life, once they die, they are what YOU will eventually become.  To defile a corpse is to doubly defile yourself.
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline TenfoldMaquette

• Pope
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2012, 10:42:15 am »
Dude.  A corpse is not the same thing as a brick.  You do not disrespect the dead.  Even if they were your enemies in life, once they die, they are what YOU will eventually become.  To defile a corpse is to doubly defile yourself.

A corpse is just dead meat. There is nothing clean or respectful about a corpse; they twitch, burp, fart, shit, sit up, slough off their skin, and otherwise embarrass themselves perfectly well on their own. Whatever there was of the person within dissipated with the cessation of brain activity; respect for the memory of the dead is one thing, but the corpse itself is insensate.

Offline rosenewock21

• The Snuffleupagus of the Satanic Sesame Street
  • God
  • Holder of the sleepy time rag
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2012, 10:48:45 am »

A corpse is just dead meat. There is nothing clean or respectful about a corpse; they twitch, burp, fart, shit, sit up, slough off their skin, and otherwise embarrass themselves perfectly well on their own. Whatever there was of the person within dissipated with the cessation of brain activity; respect for the memory of the dead is one thing, but the corpse itself is insensate.

I must politely disagree with you.  How we treat our dead is a reflection of who we are as a society. How we treat the "enemy" dead even more so. What they did was extremely taboo in the society they are currently in. It reflects badly on the United States as a whole. Even if it didn't reflect badly on us politically it was still insensitive and down right inhumane in the eyes of the people of the region.
Matthew 22:39 "And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself." God's own "don't be a dick" rule.

Lithp and Vene really need to have some kind of confusing sexual encounter where Vene spends the entire session lovingly insulting Lithp's technique, then cums on his face, ruffles his hair, says, "You're all right, kid!", and then punches him in the nuts.

Offline Vene

• AKA Vene-Eye the Science Guy
  • Pope
  • Patronizing Know-It-All Snotnose
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2012, 11:20:18 am »
I'm pretty sure that if the snipers viewed the corpse as a pile of meat, they wouldn't have urinated upon it. Even if you believe that it's just an inanimate object at that point, it's pretty clear the soldiers in question intended to insult the deceased (and possibly their family and friends).

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2012, 01:34:52 pm »
How dare you disrespect our troops! These are all necessary strategic maneuvers and sacrifices needed to keep our country safe from Islamists! You don't want the Islamists to take over, do you? /freeper
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2012, 02:18:48 pm »
Pissing on the corpse doesn't cause much direct damage, but it's a powerful symbolic gesture (much like, say, burning a few copies of a book in the post-printing press era). And people being what they are (that is, stupid), they can attribute more meaning to (and be more outraged about) pissing on the corpse than turning a person into the corpse.
Σא

Art Vandelay

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2012, 02:21:17 pm »
Well a corpse is essentially just an inanimate object, and as such I don't have any ethical/moral issues with this.

If you want to actually prove otherwise (with actual logic and/or evidence), I'm all ears.

Offline rosenewock21

• The Snuffleupagus of the Satanic Sesame Street
  • God
  • Holder of the sleepy time rag
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2012, 02:30:24 pm »

If you want to actually prove otherwise (with actual logic and/or evidence), I'm all ears.

This is a brick:

This is a corpse: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadaver (linked to err on the side of caution)

The first is a brick. It has been a brick from the moment of its creation. It is nothing more than a building block.

The second was, at one point in time, a living, breathing human being. When it was alive it had friends and family that loved it. When it died it was mourned by those it left behind. Social species that we are, no one dies truly alone. There will always be one other human being who noticed their passing. Who now misses them.

When you piss on a corpse you are symbolically saying "Your loved one is unworthy of respect. This person that you cared about is now no more than my latrine."

And the L was correct. You might never be a brick (some freaky cremation aside) but we will all one day be a corpse. To disrespect your fellow man in such a manner is to disrespect yourself.
Matthew 22:39 "And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself." God's own "don't be a dick" rule.

Lithp and Vene really need to have some kind of confusing sexual encounter where Vene spends the entire session lovingly insulting Lithp's technique, then cums on his face, ruffles his hair, says, "You're all right, kid!", and then punches him in the nuts.

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2012, 02:50:36 pm »
Throw the book at them. Preferably the hardcover large print version.
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

Offline KZN02

• The Beast
  • The Master of Tediousness
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2012, 03:36:39 pm »
Question: has there been any known incidents of Taliban doing the same or similar to American corpse?
What is, is not; what is not, is.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2012, 04:33:28 pm »
2 wrongs don't make a right.