Author Topic: People who believe being gay isn't a choice...  (Read 4125 times)

Offline rageaholic

• The Beast
People who believe being gay isn't a choice...
« on: January 23, 2013, 02:27:52 pm »
yet still see them as lesser beings. 

A lot of fundies believe that people choose to be gay.  It's obviously bullshit, but in the fundies mind, it justifies discrimination.

But what about people who aren't ignroant and do see that people are born gay?  How do they justify wanting to prevent them from marrying who they want to and wanting to keep them in the closet?  By their own logic, they can't help who they are, but still deserve to be treated like outcasts?  Unless they are hardcore Calvinists (aka complete monsters), how do they even attempt to justify this? 

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
Re: People who believe being gay isn't a choice...
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 02:59:37 pm »
To be fair, how many people actually hold that position? I imagine the argument would be something along the line of "it's icky so I don't like it"

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 03:01:19 pm »
To be fair, how many people actually hold that position? I imagine the argument would be something along the line of "it's icky so I don't like it"

Or "teh holey babble sez its rong so i dont liek it" which is basically a "justification" for the same thing.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline TheReasonator

• Bishop
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 05:39:11 pm »
Some people believe that gay people should just be celibate. There are even gay people who believe that gay people should be celibate.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 09:11:14 pm »
It's along the lines of; they also know that black people cannot "help" being born black, but they still don't want them to move in next door.

And in a way, this is a more "honest" version of homophobic bigotry. The "hate the sin, not the sinner" faction are lying, and they know they are lying, to themselves and the world. But itz abowt lyin' fer jayzuz, so that's okay, see?
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2013, 03:25:33 am »
The main thinking is that to act on ones homosexual desires is to sin against god. Hence they can accept that someone can be born gay, but they see it as an "opportunity" to join the clergy of a church and become celibate in reverence of god or something.

For someone who is gay to in any way act on those desires is in their eyes to rebel against what god intended for them.

It is pretty strange, and the conditions of complete self denial are dangerous, but as usual for fundies its gods absolute law provided it does not affect them in any way, if it does then its open to interpretation.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2013, 08:52:15 am »
Basically that it's not a choice but they can choose to not have sex.  I dunno these types seem to be missing a logic circut

Offline rageaholic

• The Beast
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2013, 06:35:54 pm »
The main thinking is that to act on ones homosexual desires is to sin against god. Hence they can accept that someone can be born gay, but they see it as an "opportunity" to join the clergy of a church and become celibate in reverence of god or something.

For someone who is gay to in any way act on those desires is in their eyes to rebel against what god intended for them.

It is pretty strange, and the conditions of complete self denial are dangerous, but as usual for fundies its gods absolute law provided it does not affect them in any way, if it does then its open to interpretation.

Ah the "only if you act on it" rule.  That's the go to arguement for Christians who want to be seen as "reasonable".  I've heard the same arguement when it comes to the sin of "lust".  Oh yeah, having the sexual desire isn't a sin, it's acting that well send you to hell.  Even though it's still unreasonable for God to expect us to supress our desires, (since they aren't hurting anyone) and as you said, extremely unhealthy.  It's another fundie mindfuck, they want to make it appear as if they're addressing the point, but what they're addressing is a strawman version of their own arguement! 

Offline TheUnknown

• The Beast
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2013, 06:45:42 pm »

Ah the "only if you act on it" rule.  That's the go to arguement for Christians who want to be seen as "reasonable".  I've heard the same arguement when it comes to the sin of "lust".  Oh yeah, having the sexual desire isn't a sin, it's acting that well send you to hell.  Even though it's still unreasonable for God to expect us to supress our desires, (since they aren't hurting anyone) and as you said, extremely unhealthy.  It's another fundie mindfuck, they want to make it appear as if they're addressing the point, but what they're addressing is a strawman version of their own arguement! 

Isn't there a verse that says if you lust in your heart, it'll be the same as if you'd actually slept with them?  Doesn't that invalidate the "only if you act" argument, since even desiring it is considered acting?

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2013, 05:08:36 am »
I've also noticed in the fundie mentality that there are two kinds of homosexuality: Gay sexual desires and gay sexual acts. No love, no relationships, no commitment. Just sex.

Seriously, when I've argued about homosexuality with fundies, I've always put everything in the context of relationships. Yet I have to keep pulling them back to relationships because they keep trying their hardest to make the conversation about sexual acts instead.

Offline Material Defender

• Food Scientist in Space
  • The Beast
  • Pilot of the Pyro-GX
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2013, 03:47:08 pm »
Even if it wasn't a choice, does it make it right to oppress them? If it was a choice, that means everyone is bisexual. 100% of the population.

Plus, if we made being black a choice, would we be okay in rolling back civil rights? No. That would be insulting to even think that.
The material needs a defender more than the spiritual. If there is a higher power, it can defend itself from the material. Thus denotes 'higher power'.

"Not to know is bad. Not to want to know is worse. Not to hope is unthinkable. Not to care is unforgivable." -Nigerian Saying

Offline rageaholic

• The Beast
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2013, 04:08:39 pm »

Isn't there a verse that says if you lust in your heart, it'll be the same as if you'd actually slept with them?  Doesn't that invalidate the "only if you act" argument, since even desiring it is considered acting?

But that's where apologetics come in.  With apologetics, you can interperate things however the fuck you want while still claiming objectivism. 

Even if it wasn't a choice, does it make it right to oppress them? If it was a choice, that means everyone is bisexual. 100% of the population.

Plus, if we made being black a choice, would we be okay in rolling back civil rights? No. That would be insulting to even think that.

Of course not, but I do think it's even more fucked up to oppress people over things they can't help. 

Offline Material Defender

• Food Scientist in Space
  • The Beast
  • Pilot of the Pyro-GX
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2013, 04:20:53 pm »

Of course not, but I do think it's even more fucked up to oppress people over things they can't help.

I suppose I don't care more or less either way because I'm bisexuality and I'd get rather peeved if someone dictated to me who I could love and who I couldn't.
The material needs a defender more than the spiritual. If there is a higher power, it can defend itself from the material. Thus denotes 'higher power'.

"Not to know is bad. Not to want to know is worse. Not to hope is unthinkable. Not to care is unforgivable." -Nigerian Saying

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2013, 04:03:10 am »
Hence they can accept that someone can be born gay, but they see it as an "opportunity" to join the clergy of a church and become celibate in reverence of god or something.

But if we would insist that every single priest must be homosexual the fundies would still get their panties in a twist.

Just think how logical it would be:
-Many fundies are against abortion and contraception and everything that reduces the amount of babies being born. (but suprisingly have aren't so interested wether or not the babies survive their childhood or have an enjoyable life.) You know, that multiply and prosper, thing.

-In several branches of christianity priests must be celibate and therefore they can't ever have children. Which is bad because of aforementioned "multiply and prosper" thing.

-By demanding that all of these celibate priests (and nuns) are gay we would be killing two birds with one stone.

;)
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Captain Jack Harkness

• Petter, Brony, and All-Around Cartoon Addict
  • The Beast
  • Or as a friend calls him, Captain Jack Hotness!
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2013, 04:59:05 am »
Hence they can accept that someone can be born gay, but they see it as an "opportunity" to join the clergy of a church and become celibate in reverence of god or something.

But if we would insist that every single priest must be homosexual the fundies would still get their panties in a twist.

Just think how logical it would be:
-Many fundies are against abortion and contraception and everything that reduces the amount of babies being born. (but suprisingly have aren't so interested wether or not the babies survive their childhood or have an enjoyable life.) You know, that multiply and prosper, thing.

-In several branches of christianity priests must be celibate and therefore they can't ever have children. Which is bad because of aforementioned "multiply and prosper" thing.

-By demanding that all of these celibate priests (and nuns) are gay we would be killing two birds with one stone.

;)

You forgot to mention that gay == pedophile in fundieland!  Whether they're celibate or not, we can't trust them with our kids!
My friend's blog.  Check it out!

I blame/credit The Doctor with inspiring my name change.