Author Topic: Softball Coach Sends Team to Get Him Dates  (Read 18404 times)

Offline Caitshidhe

• The Keeper of the Kupos
  • The Beast
    • Axiom Speaks
Softball Coach Sends Team to Get Him Dates
« on: March 09, 2013, 03:55:29 am »
A Seattle high school girl's softball coach sent his team out on a 'scavenger hunt', telling them to 'take pictures of cute girls' and bring him their phone numbers.

Last week, the Roosevelt High School softball coach sent members of his team out on an unusual scavenger hunt. The mission: take photos of “cute girls” and bring them back, with telephone numbers, for his perusal.

Instead of fielding flies, the players were farmed out to snag him a date, according to a string of text messages he sent to one of the young women targeted in the hunt.

Troy Hennum, 25, was placed on unpaid leave just six days into his new job coaching the Roughriders, Seattle Public Schools said Thursday. He was hired despite the school knowing he had been investigated by his former school district, Lake Washington, for sending inappropriate texts to an athlete in 2012, a district spokeswoman said.

Emphasis mine--WHY DID THEY HIRE THIS GUY IF THEY KNEW HE WAS IN TROUBLE ONCE BEFORE FOR INAPPROPRIATE CONDUCT WITH HIS TEAM?? And he was apparently so shit-eatingly smug about the whole thing, congratulating himself on 'using his girls' to meet women.

What I wonder is why the girls complied. Is it a case of them being young and not knowing better, and simply assuming that because some respected adult is instructing them to do it then it must be okay? It doesn't say how old the girls were but since they're in high school they've gotta be at least fourteen. If someone told me to do that at fourteen, I'd be standing there going, HANG ON WAIT A SECOND THAT'S NOT COOL BRO. I'm not blaming them, not at all--he's the creeper here, he's entirely at fault, but that doesn't stop me wondering what these girls were THINKING. Maybe they just thought he was being harmless? I know sport teams sometimes do weird shit for 'team building' exercises.

Still appalled that the school hired him despite knowing he'd been accused of inappropriately texting a student before. Though I'm relieved they axed him following this little situation.

And of course one of the most annoying parts is that he sent a text message to one of the women saying, 'I had to see if your legit.' I know he's just a sports coach, but COME THE FUCK ON HERE.

I'm just gonna be in this corner here weeping.
'The idea that things must have a beginning is really due to the poverty of our imaginations.' -- Bertrand Russel

Art Vandelay

Re: Softball Coach Sends Team to Get Him Dates
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 04:05:08 am »
You know you're pathetic when you need school kids to find you a date.

Offline Captain Jack Harkness

• Petter, Brony, and All-Around Cartoon Addict
  • The Beast
  • Or as a friend calls him, Captain Jack Hotness!
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 10:12:09 am »
Oh come on.  Is this really worth the panty knotting?  So he's asking for help finding a date.  At least he's trying to find a woman his age.  I swear.

Also, I have to ask if you're honestly bitching that he used "your" instead of "you're."  Considering the issue at hand here, that seems like a pretty silly thing to complain about, don't ya think?  Maybe that's not what you're getting at in the second to last paragraph, but it's what I assume by the context and the italicized font for "your."

I'm not saying what the guy did was good, perse.  I'm just saying you need to chill the fuck out.

Also, he's fucking 25 YEARS OLD.  It's not like he's a middle-aged man doing this stuff. 

[Reading the article now.]

Oh come on!  That's what you're bitching about?  Are you fucking serious?  There's not enough facepalms in the world to appropriately express my feelings towards what I think is your [over]reaction.  As far as the "inappropriate behavior with a former team member, I do want to point out a line from the article.

Aagard later found a Times story about Hennum being investigated at Lake Washington for allegedly sending inappropriate texts. At that time, an athlete reported that while the team was at a hotel in Wenatchee, Hennum and another athlete were exchanging a flurry of texts late at night. He later admitted suggesting the athlete meet him alone, but said he was just trying to reach out to the girl, who was having some personal problems, according to the investigative file.

Now he said the girl was having personal problems,but I wonder how things were going in HIS life.  I don't know the circumstances of the texts or the context, but for fuck's sake!  If he was going through a tough time himself, he may not have been thinking clearly.  He wouldn't be the first person to cross the line like a dumbass because he's having issues that he can't seem to cope with well.

Hey, guess what?

He resigned from his position Thursday.

The messages violated school policy, but he was not disciplined. The district did not renew his contract.

You wanna guess why he probably resigned?  I'd wager it was to escape the flak/shame from random people like you, Cait.  You say he was "smug," but have you even fucking met the guy?  No?  Well then maybe you should shut up before you judge him and his character.

Still not convinced he feels like shit for all this?  How's this for another piece of evidence?

He did not return three phone messages and two emails from a reporter. By Thursday afternoon, his photo and biography had been removed from the school’s softball team website.

Yeah, I'm sure he's not in the mood to defend himself or talk to reporters right now.  I don't blame him.  He's already been treated like shit in this thread, and I'm sure that our "assessment" of him isn't an isolated event!  Shame on the haters.  They just latch on the idea of "Oh, a guy who's too awkward/shy to directly talk to women?  He's a coach and therefore obviously not nerdy?  HOW DARE HE!"  Give the guy a fucking break.  Hell, I'm sure he'd get chewed out if he was an obvious nerd.  Hell, the flak might be worse.

Hm...I wasn't expecting my defense to be so long and passionate.  I just have been coming up with this stuff out of the blue, pretty much.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 10:37:08 am by B-Man »
My friend's blog.  Check it out!

I blame/credit The Doctor with inspiring my name change.

Offline Caitshidhe

• The Keeper of the Kupos
  • The Beast
    • Axiom Speaks
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2013, 11:02:02 am »
...what the flagnard? o.0
'The idea that things must have a beginning is really due to the poverty of our imaginations.' -- Bertrand Russel

Offline Auggziliary

• The Beast
  • Queen of the birdies
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2013, 11:05:10 am »
What.
BITCHES! YOU BITCHES! Killing me won't bring back your God damn honey!

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2013, 11:20:15 am »
It just really fucking pisses me off to see us defending gays and other such groups, only to turn around and rag on a straight guy for some shit he did without any consideration for his side.  Is being straight but too awkward to talk to women an unspeakable crime?  Are we taking the rage of the "anti-friend zone" mentality to it's inevitable conclusion?

Seriously, you guys should be ashamed of your reactions.  Also, I'd appreciate longer responses than:

and

What.

I took the time to write a defense of this guy because I felt he was being unjustly ragged on.  The least you could do is actually dignify my response with more than just a few words.  Note that "unjustly ragged on" doesn't make him some kind of perfect angel.  I'm just saying that I think you guys need to not take such a knee-jerk "OMG WHAT A CREEPY LOSER!" attitude about shit like this.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 11:22:07 am by B-Man »

Offline Auggziliary

• The Beast
  • Queen of the birdies
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2013, 11:33:07 am »
It just really fucking pisses me off to see us defending gays and other such groups, only to turn around and rag on a straight guy for some shit he did without any consideration for his side.  Is being straight but too awkward to talk to women an unspeakable crime?  Are we taking the rage of the "anti-friend zone" mentality to it's inevitable conclusion?

Seriously, you guys should be ashamed of your reactions.  Also, I'd appreciate longer responses than:

and

What.

I took the time to write a defense of this guy because I felt he was being unjustly ragged on.  The least you could do is actually dignify my response with more than just a few words.  Note that "unjustly ragged on" doesn't make him some kind of perfect angel.  I'm just saying that I think you guys need to not take such a knee-jerk "OMG WHAT A CREEPY LOSER!" attitude about shit like this.

Wait. Wait. Are you seriously comparing him to a guy whos too shy to ask a girl out?
He wasn't just telling his team he wanted a girlfriend, he was sending them out to take pictures of women and give him their phone numbers. He also got in trouble for sending inappropriate texts.
That isn't OK. I have no idea why you brought up gay rights in this either. If a male teacher was sending inappropriate texts to a male student and asking his students to do the same but with men, I would have a problem. Same with a straight woman.

There are much less creepy ways of dealing with shyness. Being shy is never an excuse to ask others to take pictures of strangers and give away cell phone numbers for you.

• The Beast
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2013, 11:37:21 am »

and

What.

Wait. Wait. Are you seriously comparing him to a guy whos too shy to ask a girl out?
He wasn't just telling his team he wanted a girlfriend, he was sending them out to take pictures of women and give him their phone numbers. He also got in trouble for sending inappropriate texts.
That isn't OK. I have no idea why you brought up gay rights in this either. If a male teacher was sending inappropriate texts to a male student and asking his students to do the same but with men, I would have a problem. Same with a straight woman.

There are much less creepy ways of dealing with shyness. Being shy is never an excuse to ask others to take pictures of strangers and give away cell phone numbers for you.

Did you read my post?  I'm not saying what he did was "okay."  I'm just saying that comments like this:

are kicking the guy when he's down.  I provided evidence for why I think the OP and first response are too harsh.  Look, the guy fucked up.  He felt guilty.  He resigned.  He's not fucking taking calls or e-mails because he's PROBABLY ashamed of his actions, and not "smug" about it as the OP so (ironically) smugly put it.

Is it that hard to understand why the OP rubbed me the wrong way?  I ask you, did you READ my post?  You sure the fuck didn't seem to address ANY of the points I made in the first reply.

Offline Nightangel8212

• The Wicked Witch of the Great White North
  • The Beast
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2013, 11:40:52 am »
“Are you single? Or am I wasting my time,” he wrote in another message.

At first, Aagard said, “I was a little bit flattered” by the attention.

But as she thought more about it, she began to see the dozens of messages differently. When she asked him to send her a photo, he joked and stalled.

“Hahaha. Pics coming child,” he wrote.

Child? Aagard was taken aback.

“Figure of speech loser,” he wrote.

B-man, would you consider this behavior on par with one who is simply "too shy" to ask girls out, or someone who needs a swift kick to the balls?

Edit: Also, I'm pretty sure he knew he was going to wind up being fired anyway, which is why he just resigned to get it over with.

And would YOU bother trying to justify your actions to reporters if you had done the same thing as this guy? Maybe 'smug' isn't the way to describe how he might be feeling... I'd choose something more along the lines of 'indifferent'. I think he's just trying to stay out of the limelight and hoping this whole thing blows over and that people forget about it.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 11:48:04 am by Nightangel8212 »

• The Beast
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2013, 11:46:24 am »

But as she thought more about it, she began to see the dozens of messages differently. When she asked him to send her a photo, he joked and stalled.

B-man, would you consider this behavior on par with one who is simply "too shy" to ask girls out, someone who needs a swift kick to the balls?

Just a bit.  Was he a bit abrasive?  Yes.  Was that maybe a sign of insecurity?  Yep.  By the way.  He said "child" but the girl he was texting was 21.  That's only four years his junior, ya know.  However, little miss "Aagard" had to be taken aback by his comment and instead of directly taking it up with the guy, go above his head and bitch to the principal of the school.  I think that's a pretty fucking underhanded way to cope.  Granted, there may be more to it and I'm just pulling thoughts out my ass.  However, I'd rather give the guy a fair shot and not assume the worst about him when I don't fucking know him.  You could argue that I shouldn't judge the woman either, but all I'm doing is asking why she had to get butthurt over a fucking single word.

Seriously.  Using the word "child" playfully set her off?  Is that it?  Is that what made her report him?  Are you for serious?  I wouldn't doubt he did it in a tongue-in-cheek way as a way to lighten the mood/break the ice more.  Yet he's a HORRIBLE human being for it, isn't he?

Offline Nightangel8212

• The Beast
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2013, 11:56:04 am »

B-man, would you consider this behavior on par with one who is simply "too shy" to ask girls out, someone who needs a swift kick to the balls?

Just a bit.  Was he a bit abrasive?  Yes.  Was that maybe a sign of insecurity?  Yep.  By the way.  He said "child" but the girl he was texting was 21.  That's only four years his junior, ya know.  However, little miss "Aagard" had to be taken aback by his comment and instead of directly taking it up with the guy, go above his head and bitch to the principal of the school.  I think that's a pretty fucking underhanded way to cope.  Granted, there may be more to it and I'm just pulling thoughts out my ass.  However, I'd rather give the guy a fair shot and not assume the worst about him when I don't fucking know him.  You could argue that I shouldn't judge the woman either, but all I'm doing is asking why she had to get butthurt over a fucking single word.

Seriously.  Using the word "child" playfully set her off?  Is that it?  Is that what made her report him?  Are you for serious?  I wouldn't doubt he did it in a tongue-in-cheek way as a way to lighten the mood/break the ice more.  Yet he's a HORRIBLE human being for it, isn't he?

If he's so shy he can't bring himself to ask out a woman, then has he never heard of speed dating? Blind dates? These things exist and do not involve using teenage girls to fan out in the neighborhood to take pictures of women and get their phone numbers for him. Also, I have to question his views on women when he says things like “Genius, great way to meet a girl, use my girls lol,” and “Figure of speech loser.

Nice way to make a good first impression.

Offline Auggziliary

• The Beast
  • Queen of the birdies
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2013, 11:56:48 am »

and

What.

Did you read my post?  I'm not saying what he did was "okay."  I'm just saying that comments like this:

are kicking the guy when he's down.  I provided evidence for why I think the OP and first response are too harsh.  Look, the guy fucked up.  He felt guilty.  He resigned.  He's not fucking taking calls or e-mails because he's PROBABLY ashamed of his actions, and not "smug" about it as the OP so (ironically) smugly put it.

Is it that hard to understand why the OP rubbed me the wrong way?  I ask you, did you READ my post?  You sure the fuck didn't seem to address ANY of the points I made in the first reply.

I'm pretty sure Art was joking, as he always does. Also how do you know he felt guilty? Just because someone resigns doesn't mean he felt guilty.
Your first post was pretty dickish. I mean why did you mention him being 25? Is it suddenly better to do creepy things if you're younger? What the fuck does his age have to do with anything? Plus what exactly makes you think his shame is bad? Of course he should be fucking ashamed. I'm not sure if he is even ashamed, but that's not society's responsibility to coddle repeated inappropriate behavior.

Also you didn't fucking read the post. It was the girl who was having problems, not him.

He sent inappropriate texts to an athlete not too long before too. That doesn't sound very "guilty" to me.

I just read your last post. WHY THE FUCK DOES HER AGE MATTER? It's not OK to do that.

Do you not realize how sexual harassment works? Of course she's going to tell the principle of the school.

Why are you defending all of his actions as "shy" too? That doesn't make it OK at all. This guy obviously isn't shy. I mean he was too "shy" to ask a girl out, but he wasn't too "shy" to send his fucking team to take photos of women and give him their phone numbers.
I'm sorry, but that is not the shyness that anyone should feel sorry for.

• The Beast
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2013, 12:02:07 pm »
Oh you.  You need to learn to read!

First, the age matters because he wasn't hitting on some underage girl.  As a coach I think that says SOMETHING.  He was going after people close to his age.

Secondly, I SAID he said the girl he texted that was a player had problems.  Is it so hard to imagine that he may have had problems of his own/been projecting?  I don't think so.

As far as using his girls as recon, I'd wager that he's obviously comfortable enough with his own fucking team to ask them a favor.  He sees them almost every day I bet.  When you do shit like that, you forge relationships.  Even "shy" people can grow comfortable with people they constantly fucking interact with.

(Who wants a bet this gets moved to Flame and Burn?)

Also, his age matters because he's not old and set in his ways.  Furthermore, as much as you don't like to admit it, being a "creepy old man" is more frowned upon than being a "creepy young man."  Now if he doesn't get better and learn from his mistakes, that's another matter entirely.  I personally think he could turn his life around.  I'm not saying we should "coddle" repeat offenders (even if it's for two distinct and different things).  I'm saying we should lay off the haterade.  What the fuck happened to concepts like "understanding" and "forgiveness?"  Are you just gonna hound the guy to the ends of the earth for his mistakes, or are you going to realize that he's a human that fucked up?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 12:07:20 pm by B-Man »

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2013, 12:10:07 pm »
Do you not realize how fucking inappropriate it is in the first place to ask your students to take pictures of women and give you their phone numbers? Such a subject isn't appropriate between students and teachers/coaches in the first place, and yet you're saying, "Oh, he's just asking help to find a date." Um, no. He's using his students to collect women's numbers so he can browse them like a fucking catalog. How is that okay? Jesus fucking christ. And just because the guy didn't respond to messages doesn't mean he feels guilty. He could be wanting to lie low so he doesn't look like any more of a creep. He could simply not care. You accuse us of making assumptions, but then you go ahead and do it there. Stop it.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline Nightangel8212

• The Beast
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2013, 12:11:31 pm »
Oh you.  You need to learn to read!

First, the age matters because he wasn't hitting on some underage girl.  As a coach I think that says SOMETHING.  He was going after people close to his age.

Secondly, I SAID he said the girl he texted that was a player had problems.  Is it so hard to imagine that he may have had problems of his own/been projecting?  I don't think so.

As far as using his girls as recon, I'd wager that he's obviously comfortable enough with his own fucking team to ask them a favor.  He sees them almost every day I bet.  When you do shit like that, you forge relationships.  Even "shy" people can grow comfortable with people they constantly fucking interact with.

(Who wants a bet this gets moved to Flame and Burn?)

Also, his age matters because he's not old and set in his ways.  Furthermore, as much as you don't like to admit it, being a "creepy old man" is more frowned upon than being a "creepy young man."  Now if he doesn't get better and learn from his mistakes, that's another matter entirely.  I personally think he could turn his life around.  I'm not saying we should "coddle" repeat offenders (even if it's for two distinct and different things).  I'm saying we should lay off the haterade.  What the fuck happened to concepts like "understanding" and "forgiveness?"  Are you just gonna hound the guy to the ends of the earth for his mistakes, or are you going to realize that he's a human that fucked up?

He did this only six days into his job. And how can it not be considered inappropriate for him to text a his student in the middle of the night on an overnight trip, asking her to come into his room?

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highschool-prep-rally/washington-softball-coach-leave-sending-players-scavenger-hunt-224911822.html

And I'll frown upon ANY creep, young or old. I give understanding and forgiveness to those who learn from their mistakes, which he obviously didn't.