Author Topic: Pope Francis I: "All Are Redeemed, And All Can Do Good"  (Read 11679 times)

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
Pope Francis I: "All Are Redeemed, And All Can Do Good"
« on: May 22, 2013, 02:23:43 pm »
http://en.radiovaticana.va/news/2013/05/22/pope_at_mass:_culture_of_encounter_is_the_foundation_of_peace/en1-694445

“Doing good” is a principle that unites all humanity, beyond the diversity of ideologies and religions, and creates the “culture of encounter” that is the foundation of peace: this is what Pope said at Mass this morning at the Domus Santae Martae, in the presence of employees of the Governorate of Vatican City. Cardinal Bechara Boutros Rai, Patriarch of Antioch of the Maronites, concelebrated at the Mass.

Wednesday’s Gospel speaks to us about the disciples who prevented a person from outside their group from doing good. “They complain,” the Pope said in his homily, because they say, “If he is not one of us, he cannot do good. If he is not of our party, he cannot do good.” And Jesus corrects them: “Do not hinder him, he says, let him do good.” The disciples, Pope Francis explains, “were a little intolerant,” closed off by the idea of ​​possessing the truth, convinced that “those who do not have the truth, cannot do good.” “This was wrong . . . Jesus broadens the horizon.” Pope Francis said, “The root of this possibility of doing good – that we all have – is in creation”:

"The Lord created us in His image and likeness, and we are the image of the Lord, and He does good and all of us have this commandment at heart: do good and do not do evil. All of us. ‘But, Father, this is not Catholic! He cannot do good.’ Yes, he can. He must. Not can: must! Because he has this commandment within him. Instead, this ‘closing off’ that imagines that those outside, everyone, cannot do good is a wall that leads to war and also to what some people throughout history have conceived of: killing in the name of God. That we can kill in the name of God. And that, simply, is blasphemy. To say that you can kill in the name of God is blasphemy.”

“Instead,” the Pope continued, “the Lord has created us in His image and likeness, and has given us this commandment in the depths of our heart: do good and do not do evil”:

"The Lord has redeemed all of us, all of us, with the Blood of Christ: all of us, not just Catholics. Everyone! ‘Father, the atheists?’ Even the atheists. Everyone! And this Blood makes us children of God of the first class! We are created children in the likeness of God and the Blood of Christ has redeemed us all! And we all have a duty to do good. And this commandment for everyone to do good, I think, is a beautiful path towards peace. If we, each doing our own part, if we do good to others, if we meet there, doing good, and we go slowly, gently, little by little, we will make that culture of encounter: we need that so much. We must meet one another doing good. ‘But I don’t believe, Father, I am an atheist!’ But do good: we will meet one another there.”

“Doing good” the Pope explained, is not a matter of faith: “It is a duty, it is an identity card that our Father has given to all of us, because He has made us in His image and likeness. And He does good, always.”

This was the final prayer of Pope Francis:

"Today is [the feast of] Santa Rita, Patron Saint of impossible things – but this seems impossible: let us ask of her this grace, this grace that all, all, all people would do good and that we would encounter one another in this work, which is a work of creation, like the creation of the Father. A work of the family, because we are all children of God, all of us, all of us! And God loves us, all of us! May Santa Rita grant us this grace, which seems almost impossible. Amen.”

Well, he didn't come right out and say it, but he heavily implied that all you need to do in order to get into heaven is be good. You don't even have to believe in G-d, let alone be Catholic.

Yeah, I think Pope Francis I is now my favorite pope of all time.
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

Offline Dynamic Dragon

• The Beast
  • Punisher of the Guilty
Re: Pope Francis I: "All Are Redeemed, And All Can Do Good"
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 02:24:59 pm »
Yes!

I hope this means the Catholic Church will stop saying homosexuality is a sin.
Learn from the past, live in the present, prepare for the future.

Distind

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 02:38:15 pm »
Just the "we're all children of god" shtick with sugar on top. If anything this is an internal memo to get catholics not to act like utter assholes to people of other beliefs. I'm certain they have scholars who could wrap the word redemed into a holy garlic knot to avoid saying atheists who are good still get into heaven, if they didn't why bother going to church? Of course, we have to remember, it's still patterned after their assumption of good.

Pretty nice execution though, certain to garner good will from some corners and isn't a horrible thing to say. Which is a start.

wrightway

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 02:41:20 pm »
Well, this is refreshing. Let's see where he goes from here.

Offline R. U. Sirius

• He Who Must Be Smooched By Cute FSTDT Forumgirls
  • The Beast
  • Just look at me. Who could distrust this face?
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 02:59:20 pm »
Welp, if I weren't almost sure he was heading for excommunication based on this sermon alone, I'd almost be ready to convert just based on Pope Frankie here.

Despite the flippant tone, I am actually serious. This is great.
http://www.gofundme.com/kw5o78
My GoFundMe campaign. Donations are greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/user/RUSirius1/submitted
My Imgur account. Upvotes always appreciated

If you look at it logically, cannibalism has great potential to simultaneously solve our overpopulation and food shortage problems.

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 03:10:13 pm »
Tedious.
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2013, 03:25:47 pm »
Yes!

I doubt we'll see that shift anytime soon, but I do think that Francis will be spending less time denouncing homosexuals and more time on charity works.
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2013, 03:52:08 pm »
Well, he didn't come right out and say it, but he heavily implied that all you need to do in order to get into heaven is be good. You don't even have to believe in G-d, let alone be Catholic.
Eh. If he wanted to say that, he would have. All he said was that we can all work together to do good, which is nice and all but isn't any major departure from Catholic doctrine.

Still, nothing in that speech made me want to burn the Vatican to the ground, so, progress!
Σא

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2013, 06:28:49 pm »
Still quite a ways to go to make up for scolding the nuns though.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline m52nickerson

• Polish Viking
  • The Beast
  • Winning by flying omoplata!
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2013, 07:50:00 pm »
Yes!

I doubt we'll see that shift anytime soon, but I do think that Francis will be spending less time denouncing homosexuals and more time on charity works.

Perhaps his grandmother told him "If you have somthing nice to say, don't say anything."
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. ~Macbeth

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2013, 08:11:18 pm »
Glad to hear at least some level of sensibility coming from a pope.
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2013, 01:14:10 am »
Only words I want to hear is "So how hot do we have to make it to send these bastards to hell?"

Ironbite-and he lights the first bonfire in St. Peter's square.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2013, 03:05:03 am »
Still quite a ways to go to make up for scolding the nuns though.

Along with the some 2,000 years of...well, to put it bluntly, evil, the Church has perpetrated.  But, like others have said, at least he wasn't a complete dickhead, soooooooo...progress, maybe.  Then again, I'm always wary around the big boys in the Vatican.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2013, 03:32:34 am »
Welp, if I weren't almost sure he was heading for excommunication based on this sermon alone, I'd almost be ready to convert just based on Pope Frankie here.

Despite the flippant tone, I am actually serious. This is great.

Is it even possible to excommunicate the Pope?

Art Vandelay

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2013, 03:44:39 am »
Platitudes, platitudes and yet more fucking platitudes. Until they actually, you know, do something like lift their condom ban, stop hoarding immense wealth or crack down on kiddy fiddlers, I'll not take them seriously.