Author Topic: Sexist Memes  (Read 12253 times)

Offline Captain Jack Harkness

• Petter, Brony, and All-Around Cartoon Addict
  • The Beast
  • Or as a friend calls him, Captain Jack Hotness!
Sexist Memes
« on: May 23, 2013, 10:56:10 pm »
So you know, the Internet has a lot of irritatingly sexist meme, so I think we should discuss them.  There's plenty of stuff to talk about of course...

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/idiot-nerd-girl
http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/tits-or-gtfo
http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/women-logic
http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/friend-zone

I'm probably missing a few, but I think these are good starting points to rage on a bit.
My friend's blog.  Check it out!

I blame/credit The Doctor with inspiring my name change.

Offline Rabbit of Caerbannog

• He's Got Great Big Teeth and the Holy Hand Grenade!
  • The Beast
  • Hit me with your best shot! Fire awaaaay!
Re: Sexist Memes
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 11:47:59 pm »
Women logic pisses me off to know end. The meme, I mean.

Offline Yaezakura

• The Pokemon Mistress
  • God
  • Little Lesbian Gaming Goddess
    • A Mayor's Tale - The daily trials of an Animal Crossing Mayor
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 11:59:58 pm »
...Is it wrong that in a lot of ways, I just don't care about stuff like this? To me, it's just an easy indicator of a person I never want to bother trying to be friends with.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2013, 12:08:53 am »
The whole "There's No Girls On The Internet" jazz. Apparently I don't exist.

Offline R. U. Sirius

• He Who Must Be Smooched By Cute FSTDT Forumgirls
  • The Beast
  • Just look at me. Who could distrust this face?
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2013, 12:16:59 am »
I've said this elsewhere before...

The term "friendzone" has been horribly overused and abused to the point of worthlessness in any meaningful discussion.

Nobody is obligated to get into a relationship with someone they aren't romantically attracted to.

BUT, I think the derision against it has become so virulent that the effective message being communicated is that it's wrong to even entertain hopes about a relationship beyond friendship.

In the past, I've been called sexist and chauvinist (not on this board) because I was upset and frustrated that a friend I was romantically interested in didn't feel the same way about me. That sort of situation is painful, and while I eventually got over it and we remain friends to this day, I don't feel that I deserved the accusations of sexism and chauvinism that I got for simply using a term that I felt described my situation and that I hadn't, at that point, heard the negative connotations about.
http://www.gofundme.com/kw5o78
My GoFundMe campaign. Donations are greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/user/RUSirius1/submitted
My Imgur account. Upvotes always appreciated

If you look at it logically, cannibalism has great potential to simultaneously solve our overpopulation and food shortage problems.

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2013, 12:23:23 am »
Overly Attached Girlfriend really demonstrates the double standard of the whole friendzone thing. If a guy shows excessive interest in a girl who isn't attracted to him/doesn't want a serious relationship, he's made out to be the victim of an evil friendzoning bitch or, at worst, looked upon as being kind of pathetic, but still an object of pity. If a girl shows excessive interest in a guy who isn't attracted to her/doesn't want a serious relationship, she's portrayed as a selfish psycho and nothing more.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline Yaezakura

• The Pokemon Mistress
  • God
  • Little Lesbian Gaming Goddess
    • A Mayor's Tale - The daily trials of an Animal Crossing Mayor
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2013, 12:27:13 am »

The term "friendzone" has been horribly overused and abused to the point of worthlessness in any meaningful discussion.

Nobody is obligated to get into a relationship with someone they aren't romantically attracted to.

BUT, I think the derision against it has become so virulent that the effective message being communicated is that it's wrong to even entertain hopes about a relationship beyond friendship.

In the past, I've been called sexist and chauvinist (not on this board) because I was upset and frustrated that a friend I was romantically interested in didn't feel the same way about me. That sort of situation is painful, and while I eventually got over it and we remain friends to this day, I don't feel that I deserved the accusations of sexism and chauvinism that I got for simply using a term that I felt described my situation and that I hadn't, at that point, heard the negative connotations about.

Well, the negative implications kind of stem from the fact that when someone says they're "friendzoned", they think they are owed something beyond friendship. And indeed, a lot of the kinds of men who use the term mean it in such a way. "I act so nice and am always there, but she still won't yadda yadda".

Obviously, it's fine to want more than friendship. And it's fine to be upset when it doesn't happen. I think everyone experiences those kinds of things. But when talking about "friendzoning", it just invokes this idea that you're not receiving something you should be receiving.

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2013, 12:52:17 am »

Well, the negative implications kind of stem from the fact that when someone says they're "friendzoned", they think they are owed something beyond friendship. And indeed, a lot of the kinds of men who use the term mean it in such a way. "I act so nice and am always there, but she still won't yadda yadda".

Obviously, it's fine to want more than friendship. And it's fine to be upset when it doesn't happen. I think everyone experiences those kinds of things. But when talking about "friendzoning", it just invokes this idea that you're not receiving something you should be receiving.

This.

I have friends who I've had crushes on, but I know they are not interested in anything beyond a simple friendship. It hurts, a lot, but I can't be mad at them for saying no, since they're simply not attracted to me.
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline Alehksunos

• Transvestite Boo-kin
  • The Beast
  • Gay Witch for Abortion
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2013, 12:54:46 am »
I have ALWAYS hated that "There are no women on the internet" Internet Rule.

That's all I need to say.

Offline TheUnknown

• The Beast
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2013, 01:25:21 am »
. . . I actually skipped over this thread before because I thought it said "Sexiest Memes."

The 'friendzone' meme also has the added bonus of many guys not realizing that 'friendzoning' can apply to girls, too.  Seriously, guys have outright asked if that was possible or if it's ever happened.

Offline mythbuster43

• Pope
    • Northwest View
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2013, 05:33:28 am »
The "Get Back In The Kitchen" meme.

Also, those "humorous" pictures of scantily clad college girls getting drunk with tag lines like"Face Down, Ass Up" or "Hoes before Bros, yo." Just stop it, FaceBook. I've met 12-year-olds that were funnier than you.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2013, 05:48:08 am »
I have friends who I've had crushes on, but I know they are not interested in anything beyond a simple friendship. It hurts, a lot, but I can't be mad at them for saying no, since they're simply not attracted to me.

Yeah, been there-don't understand resentment being part of the equation though.

Why poison the well? Friendship's a valuable thing in and of itself.

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2013, 05:54:02 pm »

Yeah, been there-don't understand resentment being part of the equation though.

Why poison the well? Friendship's a valuable thing in and of itself.

I think the "resentment" part comes in when someone thinks they're owed sex for being someone's friend, or that all friendships naturally lead to sex.
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline Dynamic Dragon

• The Beast
  • Punisher of the Guilty
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2013, 06:00:30 pm »
"Friendzoning" is a term that reeks of an entitlement complex.
Learn from the past, live in the present, prepare for the future.

Offline Reality Warper

• Bishop
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2013, 06:01:30 pm »
"Friendzoning" is a term that reeks of an entitlement complex.
Not always.  I've friendzoned a few people, and they've gotten over it.