Author Topic: Andrew Garfield wants male MJ  (Read 8977 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Andrew Garfield wants male MJ
« on: July 15, 2013, 12:29:11 am »
http://insidemovies.ew.com/2013/07/10/andrew-garfield-spider-man-gay/

Garfield has suggested half-jokingly that Spiderman's love interest MJ should be a dude. Apparently it is partially because he believes it would be a fresh interpretation of the superhero and partially because he already has a guy he wants to play that role.

The thing that really interests me in this suggestion is, why not? Some comments are just "no gay heroes!/whine" or "gay agenda"/conspiracy" complaints, but seriously, why not?

There have been so many versions of Spiderman and other comicbook heroes and so many retcons that why would it be so bad if one version is gay or bisexual? I'm not saying it should be done because of shock value or simply to bait LGBT viewers into the movies, I'm just saying that I would not be bothered if the hero of the movie is gay.

I mean if they would do a whole movie about "OH LOOK HE'S GAY ISN'T THAT COOL!" then it would be wrong, but if it's just a spiderman movie and the romance subplot has a guy, then why should that be a problem?

(This is all hypotethical though, I doubt they'll do it. Besides I already know why half the fundies in the world would spontaneously combust if there was a gay superhero in a movie. And approximately 73% of comic book geeks would also start frothing at the mouth. But they do that everytime there is a tiniest change in a movie.)
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
Re: Andrew Garfield wants male MJ
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 12:34:54 am »
I don't want him to be gay because it would be irritating. He should be bisexual. If a character is established to be attracted to the opposite sex, you can't make them gay no matter how much you call them gay. They're bi. Same thing goes with Willow Rosenberg in Buffy the Vampire Slayer. She was legitimately attracted to Oz and Xander, so making her "gay" is just silly, because it makes an entire plotline even more stupid. If she was legitimately gay, she never would have cheated on Oz with Xander in the first place, because she wouldn't be into either of them. So yeah, I want Spider-Man to be bisexual, not gay, because I hate illogical retcons.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 12:43:50 am »
I don't want him to be gay because it would be irritating. He should be bisexual. If a character is established to be attracted to the opposite sex, you can't make them gay no matter how much you call them gay. They're bi. Same thing goes with Willow Rosenberg in Buffy the Vampire Slayer. She was legitimately attracted to Oz and Xander, so making her "gay" is just silly, because it makes an entire plotline even more stupid. If she was legitimately gay, she never would have cheated on Oz with Xander in the first place, because she wouldn't be into either of them. So yeah, I want Spider-Man to be bisexual, not gay, because I hate illogical retcons.

You are forgetting that the new Spiderman movies started all over again. So theoretically, you could disregard everything that the comics had about his sexuality. So we have one movie where he was admittedly dating a girl, which could imply that he is either bi or straight. (or demisexual or any of those 1546 tumblr sexualities.)

I do agree that if they would go with bi they would not have to make awkward explanations on why he was clearly interested in what's-her-face. (Repressing his homosexual side? Being so deep in the closet that he tried to have a heterosexual relationship? Yeah, either start from scratch with spiderman, or with a different hero or make him bi.)
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• The Beast
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2013, 12:46:43 am »

You are forgetting that the new Spiderman movies started all over again. So theoretically, you could disregard everything that the comics had about his sexuality. So we have one movie where he was admittedly dating a girl, which could imply that he is either bi or straight. (or demisexual or any of those 1546 tumblr sexualities.)

I do agree that if they would go with bi they would not have to make awkward explanations on why he was clearly interested in what's-her-face. (Repressing his homosexual side? Being so deep in the closet that he tried to have a heterosexual relationship? Yeah, either start from scratch with spiderman, or with a different hero or make him bi.)
Yeah, that's my point. He was with Gwen Stacey. Make Amazing Spider-Man 2 have her do the bridge drop from the comics, and him end up meeting male MJ and falling for him.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".

Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2013, 05:14:39 am »
Can he be an otherkin instead?
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2013, 05:33:30 am »

Spiderkin
Spiderkin
Does whatever a spider can.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2013, 05:36:10 am »

Spiderkin
Spiderkin
Does whatever a spider can.

...That would actually be quite fitting. I mean at some point in the comics it really was that Parker got his powers from the spirit of spider, being some kind of chosen champion of an animal totem. I'm not sure how many times that has been retconned by now but at that point at least Parker being spider-kin otherkin/therian would fit into the story.

Scary.

Offline erictheblue

• The Beast
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2013, 07:03:14 am »

Or he could have just not figured out his orientation yet.

It isn't uncommon for people to have a heterosexual relationship - maybe even heterosexual marriage - before coming out as gay. Sure, some people know all their lives that they are gay. Others don't, for any number of reasons.
[Anonymous is] like... an internet Cthulu... you don't want to rouse them, but at the same time... woah think of the beautiful chaos! - SpaceProg

Offline Yla

• The Beast
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2013, 06:58:26 am »
Disclaimer: I don't read Spiderman comics, and I eventually lost interest in the movies. I'm also not particularly gay myself. Disagreeing opinions and statements are welcome.

I wouldn't like a new Spiderman incarnation that is just like the previous ones, just with Martin John instead of Mary Jane. It'd be very obvious pandering, but not bring anything new into it. Gay people are not defined by being gay, but are (and in case of comic book characters, should be) well rounded, multifaceted personalities. In short, only making him gay is boring. Which is what askold said.

I want to see something new and radical. Let Peter live on a space habitat. He isn't bitten by a magic spider, but develops a fascination with the evolved-for-zero-gravity spiderites that live in the station machinery. He equips himself with homemade augs and biomods, and takes up the good fight against the criminal underbelly, against corrupt habitat-nation officials, against external threats, against his personal troubles. Oh, and his eventual love interest is another man, too. Or, what the hell, a fugitive genderless AI that fled into a mobile android platform.

I'd read that.
That said, I've stopped trying to anticipate what people around here want a while ago, I've found it makes things smoother.
For I was an hungred, and ye told me to pull myself up by my bootstraps: I was thirsty, and ye demanded payment for the privilege of thine urine: I was a stranger, and ye deported me: naked, and ye arrested me for indecency.

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• The Beast
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2013, 12:14:34 pm »
I would suggest something like The Night Gwen Stacy Died happening either at the end of 2 or midway through it, and the guy helping him through the emotional pain, with Peter developing emotions for him (and at first questioning himself and stuff).

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2013, 04:13:11 pm »
I'm ok with as long as doesn't come out looking like some really bad slash fic.

Distind

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2013, 04:16:34 pm »
I really think my biggest issue with it has to be why bother retelling the same story only changing the sexes. Tell a new damn story. Please, the remakes are getting painful.

I'd say there has to be a decent gay hero out there, then I remembered most of them wound up with HIV to stay relevant in the 90s. Maybe some newer ones? Haven't really followed comics in ages. Hell, if there isn't one, make one. And please give him a remarkably immature bro for a partner. It'd just be funny.

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2013, 04:31:16 pm »

Actually, Willow seemed like she was bi, but in denial about still being attracted to men.
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• The Beast
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2013, 08:04:55 pm »

Actually, Willow seemed like she was bi, but in denial about still being attracted to men.
That was my point. They only called her gay, and if her being in denial about being bi was supposed to be a think, then they should have brought it up.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2013, 08:20:05 pm »
I found some reactions to such an idea:

Wow.

Anyways, there are already gay, lesbian, bisexual superheros. You could easily focus on them. Wolverine's own son is bi. I'd love to see more Daken.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!