Author Topic: "Good lord, Internet! Cut it out!" On Excessive Beiber Hate  (Read 44799 times)

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
Re: "Good lord, Internet! Cut it out!" On Excessive Beiber Hate
« Reply #195 on: August 19, 2013, 10:02:10 pm »
Pop music isn't about quality. It's about entertainment.

Maybe talentless hacks are chosen over skilled musicians because they are easier to mold into the generic entertainer of the week by the producers that are in the business of making mindless bland fluff. Real talent can often be a pain in the ass to work with because they want to make art, and make bold statements, and change the world.

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #196 on: August 20, 2013, 01:23:49 am »
I think Autotune depends on how it's used. It can be used badly (to give a hack singer fake talent) or for good (as a legitimate sound effect that adds to the atmosphere of the song).

It can be used a joke, or inappropriately.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
« Reply #197 on: August 20, 2013, 01:28:32 am »
I think Autotune depends on how it's used. It can be used badly (to give a hack singer fake talent) or for good (as a legitimate sound effect that adds to the atmosphere of the song).

It can be used a joke, or inappropriately.
Agreed. There's no way to use it to sound good. And, I'd like to bring up, a study was done that found that Lil Wayne listeners scored the lowest on the SATs. Whether that means something is up to people to decide for themselves.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline lord gibbon

• That Weird Guy in the Corner
  • The Beast
  • living trivia machine
« Reply #198 on: August 20, 2013, 02:01:47 am »
Eh, Autotune is nice when used for stuff like the symphonies of science. If you haven't seen those, they're quite beautiful. But I agree that it's rare that it improves music.
Excuse me, sir, do you have a minute to talk about your lord and savior, Hannibal Barca?

Quote from: Seneca
Religion is regarded by the common man as true, by the wise man as false, and by the powerful man as useful
Yeah, if the pagans are so smart, why did Jesus invade Pagan-land on the back of a dragon and kill them all!

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
« Reply #199 on: August 20, 2013, 03:49:37 am »
No competent performance has ever been improved by auto-tune*.

* With some exceptions, funny noises, jokes, ect.

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• The Beast
« Reply #200 on: August 20, 2013, 04:30:08 am »
No competent performance has ever been improved by auto-tune*.

* With some exceptions, funny noises, jokes, ect.
Agreed. I agree, the Symphonies of Science are awesome, but they had to deal with talking, and the amazing part is the lines and videos, I think. Also, any incompetent performance does not deserve respect. Someone appearing to do something well by faking it shouldn't be respected. Hopefully everyone can agree on that. If someone can feel that fake talent deserves respect, then someone screwed up when raising them. At this point, we need an Oompa Loompa song about the pitfalls of teaching that everyone is an amazing, talented, skilled winner who can do no wrong.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".

Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline Canadian Mojo

• The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #201 on: August 20, 2013, 08:40:11 pm »
I think you fail to appreciate that faking it well is a talent in and of itself.

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• The Beast
« Reply #202 on: August 21, 2013, 10:55:26 am »
I think you fail to appreciate that faking it well is a talent in and of itself.
Bow chicka bow wow! Really, for the sake of my remaining sanity, I have to hope it's a sex joke. I can't imagine someone actually considering autotuning a talent. None of them "fake it well". They're all obviously shallow, autotuned and fame-obsessed.

Offline Silhouette

• Neonate
  • Something clever belongs here...
« Reply #203 on: August 21, 2013, 01:00:41 pm »
There is a channel on Youtube called bliix. They turn pop songs into rock songs. Same lyrics, same voice, and yet, people are saying they aren't shit anymore simply because the instrumentals were changed. If those were the original versions, they would likely be claiming they were ruining the genre.

I can enjoy both versions.

Also this:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fc9uWnkToE0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fc9uWnkToE0</a>
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 03:05:36 pm by Silhouette »
WTF should I put here?!               was gaptt

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
« Reply #204 on: August 21, 2013, 06:16:36 pm »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmPOnxR68OU" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmPOnxR68OU</a>

What are you going to do about it?

-FDR

Offline Canadian Mojo

• The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #205 on: August 21, 2013, 08:45:45 pm »
Bow chicka bow wow! Really, for the sake of my remaining sanity, I have to hope it's a sex joke. I can't imagine someone actually considering autotuning a talent. None of them "fake it well". They're all obviously shallow, autotuned and fame-obsessed.

Oh my, but the does the world have some hard lessons in store for you my son for you my son.

If you can understand why Gordon Ramsey doesn't work in McDonalds then you should understand why real (voice) talent isn't needed for bubblegum pop.

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• The Beast
« Reply #206 on: August 22, 2013, 02:23:12 am »
There is a channel on Youtube called bliix. They turn pop songs into rock songs. Same lyrics, same voice, and yet, people are saying they aren't shit anymore simply because the instrumentals were changed. If those were the original versions, they would likely be claiming they were ruining the genre.

I can enjoy both versions.

Also this:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fc9uWnkToE0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fc9uWnkToE0</a>
With the video you actually posted, I imagine it's related to a real human being playing the instruments, and a real human being singing. Not all the music I listen to has meaning. Lordi is absurd as possible, but fun as shit because it's good music and talent. Sure, the lyrics are about schizophrenic dolls or monster attacks or Mr. Lordi wanting to be a woman so he can fuck Gene Simmons, but they're awesome.

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• The Beast
« Reply #207 on: August 22, 2013, 02:24:55 am »

Oh my, but the does the world have some hard lessons in store for you my son for you my son.

If you can understand why Gordon Ramsey doesn't work in McDonalds then you should understand why real (voice) talent isn't needed for bubblegum pop.
Sorry, let me rephrase that. I can't imagine someone who is not an idiot, which is how I view you (as in, you are not an idiot), calling it a talent.