Author Topic: The power of lightning!  (Read 2009 times)

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
The power of lightning!
« on: October 15, 2013, 11:49:12 am »
http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/is-lightning-the-future-of-clean-energy-1.1931760

Nokia and scientists from the University of Southampton recently announced that they had used simulated lightning to partially charge a Nokia smartphone.

A typical lightning bolt can carry several billion joules of energy, and the power of lightning has captured the imagination of those looking for new clean energy sources in recent decades.

But harvesting it has remained largely elusive, and the only widely publicized commercial attempt was abandoned in 2007 by a company in the U.S. called Alternate Energy Holdings Inc. The company did not respond to CBC’s requests for an interview about those experiments.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Re: The power of lightning!
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 12:13:26 pm »
Of couse it was Nokia...

Other phones would have been deepfried and melted by the thunderbolt. Nokia killed and ate the lightning, absorbing the lethal force of nature and grew stronger!
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
  • Assume I'm crashing & burning at any given moment
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 01:25:56 pm »
"Short Circuit" joke in three... two...
Long Live The Queen.

Burn fire! Hellfire! Now Anita, its your turn! Choose GamerGate, or your pyre!
Be mine or you will buuurn!!

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 02:09:34 pm »
What about that one "art"* piece that used a giant antenna to collect the lightning's charge and shoot it back into the sky.

*because "mad science" looks iffy on a grant proposal.
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline Dan

• Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2013, 02:40:06 pm »
Of couse it was Nokia...

Other phones would have been deepfried and melted by the thunderbolt. Nokia killed and ate the lightning, absorbing the lethal force of nature and grew stronger!
You need that much power to run Windows.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2013, 03:08:07 pm »
The article could be summarised as "Huzzah, power from lightning! Except it's simulated lightning, and it only charged a fraction of the phone's battery. And the method cannot be adapted to deal with natural lightning. And really there wouldn't be any point to doing it anyway, because the power and frequency of lightning is too small for it to be used as a meaningful power source."

There is an actual accomplishment here, true, which is being able to transmit power through a terrible conductor such as air. But it doesn't adequately simulate the conditions of lightning, which is much harder to predict, lasts for a shorter time, has a higher voltage (by a couple orders of magnitude, from what I can find), and so on and so forth.
Σא

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2013, 03:10:50 pm »
Several billion joules of energy per bolt sounds nice, but isn't most of that energy dissipated through explosive breakdown/heating of the dielectric (air)? We would need much taller lightning rods to harvest most of that energy.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2013, 03:11:35 pm »
I already decided on my response before I even clicked on the topic.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_DqV1xdf-Y" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_DqV1xdf-Y</a>
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2013, 03:13:57 pm »
Of couse it was Nokia...

You need that much power to run Windows.
Oh yeah?

Well... Touche.

I shall wait and see if the only thing strong enough to destroy Nokia is Microsoft. (And then we still have Jolla if that happens.)
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline JohnE

• The Beast
  • Heeeere's JohnE!
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2013, 04:14:57 pm »
There is an actual accomplishment here, true, which is being able to transmit power through a terrible conductor such as air.
Meh, Tesla already did it better, about a century ago.

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2013, 04:18:50 pm »
Anyone can do this.  You fasten the phone to the top of a long metal pole.  You find a nice open area.  During the next thunder storm you run about with the pole held high above your head.
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.