Author Topic: Body Shamers Say The Darndest Things  (Read 2968 times)

Offline rageaholic

• The Beast
Body Shamers Say The Darndest Things
« on: May 05, 2014, 12:56:43 am »
You know, fuck body shamers.  These people who seem to have a problem being in the mere pressence of someone who's overweight.  They say such stupid, harmful, shit under the guise of trying to be "helpful".  A couple of years ago, a concern troll wrote an extremely condescending letter to an overweight news anchor. 

Hi Jennifer,

It’s unusual that I see your morning show, but I did so for a very short time today. I was surprised indeed to witness that your physical condition hasn’t improved for many years. Sure you don’t consider yourself a suitable example for this community’s young people, girls in particular. Obesity is one of the worst choices a person can make and one of the most dangerous habits to maintain. I leave you this note hoping that you’ll reconsider your responsibility as a local public personality to present and promote a healthy lifestyle.

The anchor in question, called the guy out on air.  While a lot of people applauded her, there were others who actually sided with the troll.  I read several comments from "apologists" of body shaming basically implying that overweight people should be treated as second class citizens to "set an example" or some bullshit.  The douchebag in the letter was trying to guilt the reporter into losing weight, acting as if it was somehow affecting others. 

Now, I understand obesity is a problem, but so are eating disorders, and shaming people into behaving a certain way has got to cause more harm than the behavior you're trying to curb.  This idea that people need to be flawless if they have any kind of influence is so ridiculous that I don't even know what to say. 

And I haven’t even started on the actresses who are considered “fat” by Hollywood standards.  Bodybuilding.com a site that frequently shows up in google searches, is terrible with this.  IMDB is also pretty bad too.  Apologists for body shaming make some bullshit about how the standards for what is considered fat these days are much higher, but I call bullshit.  If anything, we are more picky about people’s body size.  There is also the argument with regard to actresses that they put themselves in the spotlight and open themselves up to scrutiny.  Again, I say bullshit.  Of course they are going to be scrutinized, but that doesn’t make the body police right.  And lastly, there’s the passive aggressive types who say that they think such and such could be a role model if they’d just shed the pounds (and a lot of the time, they aren’t even close to fat).

To stop myself from rambling, let me just say I’m sick of this shit.  I’m not a little guy myself so I know what it’s like to be self conscious.  But it seems like the females have it even worse, especially if they are actresses. 

And to end this with an example, here’s a daily fail article describing older ads that set these unrealistic standards.  But if you want some examples of douchiness, read the “worst rated” comments. 

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
Re: Body Shamers Say The Darndest Things
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2014, 02:26:12 am »
I know I've said some stuff that could be construed a certain way, but truth is, I've had negative experiences with bodyshaming, and its had a lasting, uh, impact, on how I look at myself and others.

I agree on the subject of bodybuilding.com. I cannot even share photos with people on any fitness sites because I don't want to hear their wisecracks.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014, 04:20:30 am »
Your first mistake was taking things from bodybuilding.com with any sort of seriousness. That place borders on a joke site
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2014, 08:32:56 am »
These people really need to get their priorities in order.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2014, 11:41:37 am »
Hi Jennifer,

It’s unusual that I see your morning show, but I did so for a very short time today. I was surprised indeed to witness that your physical condition hasn’t improved for many years. Sure you don’t consider yourself a suitable example for this community’s young people, girls in particular. Obesity is one of the worst choices a person can make and one of the most dangerous habits to maintain. I leave you this note hoping that you’ll reconsider your responsibility as a local public personality to present and promote a healthy lifestyle.

I'm not sure what's worse, calling obesity a choice or ignoring the 6.2 bajillion things that are much more harmful to your health than obesity.
Σא

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2014, 11:49:47 am »
Jennifer Livingston made such a completely perfect and inspiring rebuttal to the troll, that I thought it's worth embedding the video.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUOpqd0rQSo" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUOpqd0rQSo</a>

And BTW, holey phuck, she's gorgeous!
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline rageaholic

• The Beast
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2014, 02:59:08 pm »
Your first mistake was taking things from bodybuilding.com with any sort of seriousness. That place borders on a joke site

Yeah, it's full of macho jock types who think that only super skinny women can be attractive.  I agree with MellonOR, the reporter is not bad looking. 

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2014, 04:12:20 pm »
The e-mailer displays an all-too-prevalent American mentality.  It's the same mindset that's responsible for toddlers' beauty contests: Your are valued only for your appearance.  Pitiful. 
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2014, 11:49:49 pm »
Jennifer Livingston made such a completely perfect and inspiring rebuttal to the troll, that I thought it's worth embedding the video.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUOpqd0rQSo" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUOpqd0rQSo</a>

She's gorgeous.

Besides, a lady with a bit of meat on her bones is sumptuous & huggable. Society is so backwards from a biological standpoint. We expect women to be sticks while big & husky men are at least tolerated. Biologically, it should be the other way around. Female humans are meant to be curvy, big-hipped & with a bit more adipose tissue. Males are the angular ones.

There's a huge difference between chubby & "morbidly obese bariatric patient". That said, the later shouldn't be shamed, either.

Offline rageaholic

• The Beast
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2014, 01:20:19 am »

She's gorgeous.

Besides, a lady with a bit of meat on her bones is sumptuous & huggable. Society is so backwards from a biological standpoint. We expect women to be sticks while big & husky men are at least tolerated. Biologically, it should be the other way around. Female humans are meant to be curvy, big-hipped & with a bit more adipose tissue. Males are the angular ones.

There's a huge difference between chubby & "morbidly obese bariatric patient". That said, the later shouldn't be shamed, either.

QFT

I still can't believe that there are people who think that the standard for what is considered fat is lower now.  Are these people fucking blind? 

Offline Radiation

• ILLUMINATI...ASSEMBLE!
  • The Beast
  • Just Radiation, I am so uncreative
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2014, 09:53:13 pm »
What the OP said above is exactly what the site ThisIsThinPrivilege talks about and points out. They point out things about body shaming, fat discrimination and fat hatred. They have many valid points and they strive to have a safe space for those that are fat and overweight that have experienced this type of bigotry.

That's why I follow them on Tumblr, they may have been antagonistic towards some people but the ones that they treat like that are usually blatant trolls with mindsets like those that peruse sites like bodybuilding.com

Fat hatred, oppression, thin privilege, whatever is real.
this article talks about how we discriminate fat people in some of the largest sectors such as employment and medical care.

Hell, this whole Google search on "fat discrimination" can give you more information.

I know that there have been studies done on fat shaming and how it doesn't work but actually makes things worse for the people being shamed. Many people think that being fat is a choice, that those that are obese do nothing but sit around and stuff themselves all day when in fact obesity is not that black and white and that there are many factors as to why someone is obese.

Here's and article, I can't seem to find the studies right now but this one talks about the impacts of fat shaming on a psychological scale

I actually wrote an article on FierceFreethinkingFatties about how fat shamers, trolls, etc and the weight loss ideologies are very similar to those of fundamentalist religious people proselytizing.
"Radiation, were beauty measured by the soul instead of the body, you would be legendary on the status of Helen of Troy. Be strong." -The Sandman