Author Topic: Russia won't let USA use the ISS after 2020  (Read 8421 times)

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
Re: Russia won't let USA use the ISS after 2020
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2014, 11:52:20 am »
*sigh*

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2014, 12:03:09 pm »
Now, that's a train wreck! Did the bridge collapse cause it? Anyway, someone somewhere will pick up the slack in re ISS transport vehicles. Six years can bring a lot of new developments.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2014, 07:55:10 pm »
It's just like old times. Back when going from the ISS to Harry Potter within a single page was business as usual.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2014, 09:49:01 am »
It's just like old times. Back when going from the ISS to Harry Potter within a single page was business as usual.

Harry Potter is serious business!
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2014, 04:56:27 pm »
Sorry to be the derailer, now I'll put the train back on track.....

So! How 'bout them petulant Ruskies & the ISS?!

Offline Svata

• Doesn't even fucking know anymore
  • The Beast
  • No, seriously, fuck astrology.
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2014, 01:36:18 pm »
As many others have said, hopefully this will get our government up off its lazy ass when it comes to the space program. Hopefully the Russians holding out on us will fire up the spirit of competition in us and get us off this rock, sending people into orbit by our own virtue and merit, rather than just hitching a ride.
"Politician" is the occupational equivalent of "Florida".

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2014, 02:05:54 pm »
I've seen it put that a big problem with the US space program is that every President comes in with a different vision of what it should be, and so the wheel keeps being reinvented. In Russia, they've just kept using the same design since they started.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Dr. Weird

• Bishop
  • Gentlemen, Behold--Corn!!!
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2014, 04:45:58 pm »
I've seen it put that a big problem with the US space program is that every President comes in with a different vision of what it should be, and so the wheel keeps being reinvented. In Russia, they've just kept using the same design since they started.

That's quite true.  The American Apollo program was cut short by a combination of the expenses of the Vietnam War, and (reportedly) Richard Nixon's desire to stamp out something associated with JFK (who of course beat his ass in the 1960 election).  Werner Von Braun's ambitious Apollo Applications Program was chopped down to Skylab, and the United States didn't make a single manned space flight from mid 1975 through April 1981 because NASA was developing Nixon's darling, the Space Shuttle.  Hell, two complete Saturn 5s and two complete Saturn 1Bs went completely unflown (you can see components of them at Cape Canaveral, Houston, and Huntsville)

During the Duhbya Administration, Project Constellation was announced to be the post-Space Shuttle manned space flight program.  In 2010 the Obama Administration cancelled Constellation, and announced the Space Launch System.

The Russians, meanwhile, have been using essentially the same Vostok launch vehicle since 1961 (modified and modernized over time, but essentially the same).  The Soyuz spacecraft that ferry cosmonauts and astronauts to the ISS has gone through three design upgrades, but is essentially the same spacecraft that first flew in 1967, about the same time Apollo was getting ready for its first mission.

So, yeah, NASA's been a poliitical football for a long time.  If Obama's successor is a Republican, the SLS will undoubtedly be cancelled and replaced with something else.  If Obama's successor is a Democrat, well, it might still be cancelled and replaced with something else.
Fundie Doublethink:
* The Bible is the inerrant, literal word of God when it talks about the Earth being created in six days and homosexuality being an abomination. The Bible is a flawed work interpreted by errant humans when it talks about loving your neighbor, turning the other cheek, and the evils of greed.
*  All life is sacred and precious from the moment of conception until the moment of birth.
* You're not a sexist.  You just think women are nothing but baby machines and servants.

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2014, 01:00:43 am »

That's quite true.  The American Apollo program was cut short by a combination of the expenses of the Vietnam War, and (reportedly) Richard Nixon's desire to stamp out something associated with JFK (who of course beat his ass in the 1960 election).  Werner Von Braun's ambitious Apollo Applications Program was chopped down to Skylab, and the United States didn't make a single manned space flight from mid 1975 through April 1981 because NASA was developing Nixon's darling, the Space Shuttle.  Hell, two complete Saturn 5s and two complete Saturn 1Bs went completely unflown (you can see components of them at Cape Canaveral, Houston, and Huntsville)

During the Duhbya Administration, Project Constellation was announced to be the post-Space Shuttle manned space flight program.  In 2010 the Obama Administration cancelled Constellation, and announced the Space Launch System.

The Russians, meanwhile, have been using essentially the same Vostok launch vehicle since 1961 (modified and modernized over time, but essentially the same).  The Soyuz spacecraft that ferry cosmonauts and astronauts to the ISS has gone through three design upgrades, but is essentially the same spacecraft that first flew in 1967, about the same time Apollo was getting ready for its first mission.

So, yeah, NASA's been a poliitical football for a long time.  If Obama's successor is a Republican, the SLS will undoubtedly be cancelled and replaced with something else.  If Obama's successor is a Democrat, well, it might still be cancelled and replaced with something else.

It's more a problem with Congress insofar as NASA's budget has to be approved every year. Space exploration isn't as popular as war profiteering for the big wigs so NASA inevitably has to accept drastic budget cuts. After several decades of budget cuts, many long-term missions get canned or repurposed and the public eventually notices a few differences.

Not to mention this is perhaps the most hostile Congress in recent history for budget proposals (again, war profiteering notwithstanding.)
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2014, 08:43:55 am »
I'm sure, if we could phrase it in nothing but baby talk, that they'd pour a tonne of money into it if we said we could use it to intimidate the nasty brown countries.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2014, 02:56:13 pm »
I'm sure, if we could phrase it in nothing but baby talk, that they'd pour a tonne of money into it if we said we could use it to intimidate the nasty brown countries.

Alternatively, this:

SMBC
Σא

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2014, 05:08:27 pm »
That or the Russkies.  After all, Putin seems hell-bent on restarting the Cold War.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #42 on: June 06, 2014, 10:06:08 pm »
That or the Russkies.  After all, Putin seems hell-bent on restarting the Cold War.

He's, likely incorrectly, assuming we give a fuck about his antics beyond the human rights violations.  Outside that, the man's a pathetic fucking clown.