Author Topic: 2014 FIFA World Cup thread  (Read 18573 times)

Offline Kat S.

• Pope
  • Repentant sinner, unrepentant knowledge junkie
Re: 2014 FIFA World Cup thread
« Reply #60 on: July 01, 2014, 06:43:09 pm »
...and the United States is out.  Well, better luck next time in 2018 in Russia.  At least we have the women's team to look forward to next year in Canada.

Offline Veras

• The Beast
  • I aim to misbehave
« Reply #61 on: July 01, 2014, 08:12:48 pm »
That was a good game.  Tim Howard is a beast.  Also, this:

RIP Tony Benn (1925 - 2014)

"There is no moral difference between a stealth bomber and a suicide bomber. Both kill innocent people for political reasons."

“If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people.”

"I'm not frightened about death. I don't know why, but I just feel that at a certain moment your switch is switched off, and that's it. And you can't do anything about it."

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #62 on: July 01, 2014, 08:50:02 pm »
Tim Howard....what a beast.

Ironbite-wonder which MLS team has him?

ETA: OH HE PLAYS FOR AN ENGLISH PREMIER TEAM!  BOOO!

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #63 on: July 01, 2014, 09:24:41 pm »
Tim Howard....what a beast.

Ironbite-wonder which MLS team has him?

ETA: OH HE PLAYS FOR AN ENGLISH PREMIER TEAM!  BOOO!

Turns out he's good enough to play there.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #64 on: July 01, 2014, 09:50:44 pm »
FUCK HIM!  GET HIM IN THE RED AND BLACK!

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #65 on: July 01, 2014, 11:18:20 pm »

That boy's name? Albert Einstein.

And then a hyper-realistic skeleton popped out and there was hyper-realistic blood everywhere.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #66 on: July 02, 2014, 02:03:50 am »

EDIT:

« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 02:13:14 am by dpareja »
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Kat S.

• Pope
  • Repentant sinner, unrepentant knowledge junkie
« Reply #67 on: July 02, 2014, 07:10:42 pm »
That was a good game.  Tim Howard is a beast.  Also, this:

I agree.  Also someone updated the Wikipedia article on the U.S. Secretary of Defense yesterday.

However, Wikipedia admins locked and switched it back to Chuck Hagel.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #68 on: July 03, 2014, 12:32:59 am »

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #69 on: July 03, 2014, 12:36:53 am »
Huh?  Really?
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #70 on: July 03, 2014, 12:46:54 am »
Huh?  Really?

Yes.

The term soccer is a shortened form of assoccer, which is itself a shortened form of association football. The abbreviations came from the English schoolboy tradition of taking the name of something (say rugby), chopping off all but the first few syllables and appending "-er" or "-ers"; hence "rugby" became "ruggers" and "association football" became "assoccer" or, eventually, "soccer". The term is used in just about every English-speaking country that isn't England in order to distinguish the sport from other forms of football like the two rugby codes, the two gridiron codes, or Australian Rules.

(As for those being called football even though the ball is typically being carried in the arms or hands, the term comes from the need to distinguish such sports, which were played on foot, from those like polo played on horseback.)

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #71 on: July 03, 2014, 12:48:37 am »

Well I just learned a lot today.

I still feel the need to call it American Football, though.  Instead of just Football.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #72 on: July 03, 2014, 12:49:48 am »

Well I just learned a lot today.

I still feel the need to call it American Football, though.  Instead of just Football.

Players and fans of the world's other six* football codes thank you.

*Yes, I know I only mentioned five other than soccer above; there's also Gaelic football.

Also, I forgot to note that the term "soccer" predates the term "football" (unmodified) as referring to the sport by about a decade.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #73 on: July 04, 2014, 05:07:48 am »
(Double post perhaps, but it's been over a day since the last post in this thread...)

How people around the world watch the World Cup.

(click to show/hide)

EDIT: Meme faces for the quarter-finals.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 02:04:53 am by dpareja »

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #74 on: July 05, 2014, 09:35:20 am »
A clever artist in Japan did up all the World Cup teams as anime girls.

Check it out:  http://imgur.com/gallery/x2DJv
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."