Author Topic: Random Thoughts Thread  (Read 159513 times)

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
Re: Random Thoughts Thread
« Reply #735 on: May 06, 2017, 09:45:21 am »
I have come to the conclusion that straight tequila is terrible, much like straight gin.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #736 on: May 06, 2017, 09:56:23 am »
Gay tequila, on the other hand, is quite nice.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #737 on: May 06, 2017, 09:59:24 am »
If nothing else, it can present itself well.

Only downside to last night's alcoholic experiments was that the crap I had soured my taste for booze, so I didn't have the desire to crack open my bottle of Appleton Estate.  I plan on correcting this tonight, as I have heard from reliable sources that it is quality rum.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

pyro

« Reply #738 on: May 10, 2017, 11:41:23 am »
There are twothree things that I have learned to never discuss with people: religion, politics, and child rearing. Seriously, if you imply that people are raising their kids wrong, they can get as frothy at the mouth as any street preacher.

Offline Skybison

• The Beast
« Reply #739 on: May 12, 2017, 06:47:39 pm »
I came across a website today reviewing bad webcomics, and on it I learned something.  There are/were three (three!) wikis dedicated to mocking Sonichu with a combined total of 2819 articles.

And I'm just staring at that figure going "Okay I know Chris-chan is an awful person but seriously if you're putting that level obsession on this one guy who has no real power at all you are not much better.  I'm all for mocking assholes but jesus have some sense of proportion."

pyro

« Reply #740 on: May 12, 2017, 10:10:31 pm »
1,160 DJS quotes isn't too shabby. Though I guess they don't quite count as "articles..."

Offline Skybison

• The Beast
« Reply #741 on: May 12, 2017, 10:34:25 pm »
To be honest I'm sick of DJS quotes on FSTDT, I think he's been run into the ground and there's nothing new to say about him.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #742 on: May 28, 2017, 12:33:18 am »
Chicken schnitzel are giant chicken nuggets.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #743 on: May 28, 2017, 01:19:02 am »
^^ yeah - he basically know everything about him, and why he's awful. Can we get a new guy to fill his role?
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #744 on: May 29, 2017, 05:56:02 am »
This isn't so much a random thought as a random question, but it doesn't warrant it's own thread so I'm asking here.

For those of you who know such things, if I wanted to convey to a Japanese person that I don't speak/understand Japanese would I say Nihon-go wa wakarimasen or Nihon-go ga wakarimasen? The internet seems to be providing me with both versions.  Also, should I stick Watashi wa... at the start or is that redundant?  I've read somewhere native speakers often leave out that part of a sentence when it's obvious you're talking about yourself, the other person, your cat's mum etc etc.

Also, if you don't need watashi wa because that's not how fluent/native Japanese speakers talk, could it be advisable to include it so it's obvious I actually don't speak/understand Japanese, as telling saying it to someone in perfect, fluent Japanese might seem...weird?

A 2nd also - is it better to say I don't understand Japanese or I don't speak Japanese?  Which one conveys the same meaning as saying I don't speak x language in English, or does it even matter?

Am I over thinking this?  Maybe looking like a confused idiot will convey the same thing lol.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #745 on: May 29, 2017, 06:37:56 am »
A simple "que" would probably get the point across.

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #746 on: May 29, 2017, 08:40:09 am »

Do many Japanese people speak Spanish and/or are fans of Fawlty Towers?  I would love it if Fawlty Towers was  big in Japan

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #747 on: May 29, 2017, 11:30:15 am »
This isn't so much a random thought as a random question, but it doesn't warrant it's own thread so I'm asking here.

For those of you who know such things, if I wanted to convey to a Japanese person that I don't speak/understand Japanese would I say Nihon-go wa wakarimasen or Nihon-go ga wakarimasen? The internet seems to be providing me with both versions.  Also, should I stick Watashi wa... at the start or is that redundant?  I've read somewhere native speakers often leave out that part of a sentence when it's obvious you're talking about yourself, the other person, your cat's mum etc etc.

Also, if you don't need watashi wa because that's not how fluent/native Japanese speakers talk, could it be advisable to include it so it's obvious I actually don't speak/understand Japanese, as telling saying it to someone in perfect, fluent Japanese might seem...weird?

A 2nd also - is it better to say I don't understand Japanese or I don't speak Japanese?  Which one conveys the same meaning as saying I don't speak x language in English, or does it even matter?

Am I over thinking this?  Maybe looking like a confused idiot will convey the same thing lol.

Using わたしは (watashi wa) in your statement isn't really necessary, because when you speak, it'll be obvious that you're referring to yourself. I suppose using it would further convey your lack of fluency, but it'd be overly redundant.

With the wa versus ga part, it doesn't really matter because particles are generally dropped in conversational Japanese. There's no need for a particle in the sentence to mark what part of speech "nihongo" is because it'll be obvious from context. So if you don't understand what someone's saying, you could say:

すみません、わかりません。
Sumimasen, wakarimasen.
I'm sorry, I don't understand.

すみません、にほんごはなせません。
Sumimasen, nihongo hanasemasen.
I'm sorry, I can't speak Japanese.

すみません is important for politeness. はなせません is conveying that you don't have the ability to speak Japanese. There are more natural conversational ways of saying it, but that'll get the message across.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 11:32:07 am by Sleepy »
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Art Vandelay

« Reply #748 on: May 29, 2017, 08:52:41 pm »

Do many Japanese people speak Spanish and/or are fans of Fawlty Towers?  I would love it if Fawlty Towers was  big in Japan

Not to my knowledge. You say pretty much anything to them in a confused tone of voice that very much isn't Japanese and they'll probably get the idea.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #749 on: June 02, 2017, 01:45:07 am »
Social media unites people in strange ways. I just learned that a Finnish parliament member reads the same webcomic as I do because I saw him comment on Girl genius FB-page...
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!