Author Topic: The Fappening/Celebgate 2014  (Read 10643 times)

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
The Fappening/Celebgate 2014
« on: September 01, 2014, 04:57:23 pm »
http://mashable.com/2014/08/31/celebrity-nude-photo-hack/

A major trove of celebrity images, some including images alleged to be actress Jennifer Lawrence nude, began spreading all over the web and Twitter on Sunday evening.

Early word of the images began spreading on 4Chan earlier in the day, where posters claimed that the images were the result of a hacker intrusion on a number of iCloud accounts and cell phones and that the images included nude celebrities such as Victoria Justice, Emily Browning, Kate Bosworth, Jenny McCarthy and Kate Upton.
When contacted by Mashable, a spokesperson for Jennifer Lawrence issued the following statement:

"This is a flagrant violation of privacy. The authorities have been contacted and will prosecute anyone who posts the stolen photos of Jennifer Lawrence."

In addition to Lawrence, these are the biggest names on the list posted to 4Chan of alleged victims of the iCloud leak:

Aly and AJ Michalka, Aubrey Plaza, Abby Elliott, Avril Lavigne, Amber Heard, Brie Larson, Candice Swanepoel, Cara Delevigne, Emily Ratjakowski, Farrah Abraham, Gabrielle Union, Hayden Pannettiere, Hope Solo, Hillary Duff, Jenny McCarthy, Kayley Cuoco, Kate Upton, Kate Bosworth, Keke Palmer, Kim Kardashian, Kirsten Dunst, Krysten Ritter, Lea Michele, Lizzy Caplan, Mary Kate Olsen, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Rihanna, Scarlet Johansson, Selena Gomez, Vanessa Hudgens, Wynona Ryder, Alison Brie and Dave Franco.
This is the kind of thing that makes me glad I'm not famous.

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
Re: The Fappening/Celebgate 2014
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 05:11:43 pm »
The authorities have been contacted and will prosecute anyone who posts the stolen photos of Jennifer Lawrence.

If there is any statement that could ensure free backups in perpetuity via torrent, it's that. The Streisand Effect doesn't get much better than this.

EDIT: That title reminded me of TIM. I wish he were still around posting crap about Free software.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 05:57:03 pm »
Remember kids, NEVER take nudes of yourself and store them online.

Offline Kat S.

• Pope
  • Repentant sinner, unrepentant knowledge junkie
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2014, 10:07:55 pm »
So now it's no longer what goes up on internet stays on the internet.  Now it's what goes on the computer stays on the internet.

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2014, 10:30:15 pm »
I imagine the media will tweet this like everyone on that list personally lit a kitten on fire.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2014, 11:10:00 pm »
Bill O'Reilly: IMMMMMMOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRAAAAAAALLLLLLIIIIITTTTTY!!

Hannity: UNCHRISTIAN!

Shep: Why am I on this network? I'm sandwiched between the insane.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2014, 11:49:54 pm »
So now it's no longer what goes up on internet stays on the internet.  Now it's what goes on the computer stays on the internet.

"The cloud" is essentially the same thing as the internet. They trusted their data with an online third party that apparently didn't run a tight ship.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2014, 12:30:04 am »
And then people wonder why I don't care about cloud services and prefer to avoid using them for things other than game saves.
Who needs a signature?

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2014, 01:55:05 am »
HOLD YOUR HORSES!

I give you the scribblings of one Nash Bozard.

Today, it happened again: a number of celebrities were targeted, and their private, intimate photos were leaked online.

This is not their fault. You have the right to take whatever pictures of yourself you wish. As long as everyone involved is a consenting adult, then no harm, no foul. The blame doesn’t and should never fall on anyone who has their system hacked and their personal information of any kind thrown out into public.

But I’m also going to tell you this: if you choose to use any form of internet connected device for storing anything, no one will protect you. Your ISP won’t protect you. You cell phone provider won’t protect you. Apple won’t protect you. Google won’t protect you. Law enforcement won’t protect you; at best, there may be a prosecution down the line (if you’re rich and famous enough), but by then the damage will be done.

Again: this is not their fault. It’s not the fault of anyone who has this happen to them. It’s like seeing someone’s door kicked off its hinges and all their things taken, and instead of a condemnation of the robbers they’re told they should have gotten a stronger door. It shouldn’t happen, but … it does.

With this in mind, you should protect yourself, now and in the future. You have the right to take intimate photos, but both the service providers and the legal system can’t be depended upon to take necessary steps to prevent them from being taken from you.

How do you protect yourself?

Never put intimate photos on devices connected to the internet, and never store them on a cloud service. Never allow them out of your control. Never make copies. Never trust encryption or passwords. When not in use, webcams should be disconnected or covered.

A very cynical voice in my head also inclines me to say not to trust them in the possession of a significant other. Those relationships change in ways you can’t foresee. There are things of a non-intimate nature I wish I hadn’t trusted to an ex; I shudder to think what would have been done with explicit photos. But that’s entirely dependant on your relationship, and how you conduct it.

What was done to these women was wrong. Their expectation of privacy was entirely justified, and it’s not their fault that every safeguard and system let them down. I don’t tell you to protect yourself as a way of assigning blame to the victims. I do it as a way of assigning shame to the people who should have prevented this, but didn’t, and don’t, and won’t.

You have to protect yourself, because the companies and agencies that should aren’t in a rush to do their jobs.

Ironbite-sums it up better then I can.

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2014, 02:26:37 am »
You have to protect yourself, because the companies and agencies that should aren’t in a rush to do their jobs.

This is why I believe so-called "identity theft" at least in the context of the banking system would be better described as criminal negligence on the part of the bank. You'll never hear banks describe it that way because that would mean they'd have to get off their asses and implement secure systems for credit card transactions, etc.

But I digress. That would be an entire thread on its own.

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2014, 05:44:47 pm »
I play it cozy on this.  I've never had nude or otherwise intimate photos taken of me.

Among the advantages of old age: I recognized only three names from the list of victims.   Never heard of the others, and don't care if I continue never hearing of them.
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline Dr. Weird

• Bishop
  • Gentlemen, Behold--Corn!!!
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2014, 04:22:46 pm »
I follow this idea:  if you never want nude pictures of you to make it onto the internet, never have nude pictures taken of you.  The fact that there's nobody who wants to see me naked offers an extra layer of protection.

The funniest thing about this was the way a friend of mine called me three times on Monday with breathless updates of the dumpster fire about it on 4chan.  Honestly, I could barely care less.
Fundie Doublethink:
* The Bible is the inerrant, literal word of God when it talks about the Earth being created in six days and homosexuality being an abomination. The Bible is a flawed work interpreted by errant humans when it talks about loving your neighbor, turning the other cheek, and the evils of greed.
*  All life is sacred and precious from the moment of conception until the moment of birth.
* You're not a sexist.  You just think women are nothing but baby machines and servants.

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2014, 04:34:45 pm »
Taking pictures of yourself naked is never a good idea. Just do what I do and do it in public, can't get hacked that way.

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2014, 04:58:21 pm »
Also, haven't some of the celebs in question appeared naked in film and/or TV?  Not that it makes guessing passwords (which is apparently how this was done according to Apple) and getting access to anyone's private accounts to spread their private stuff around the web okay of course.  But...actually I'm not really sure exactly what my point is, I'll get back to you.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2014, 05:16:01 pm »
I follow this idea:  if you never want nude pictures of you to make it onto the internet, never have nude pictures taken of you.  The fact that there's nobody who wants to see me naked offers an extra layer of protection.

The funniest thing about this was the way a friend of mine called me three times on Monday with breathless updates of the dumpster fire about it on 4chan.  Honestly, I could barely care less.

Amazing.  Indifference and vicitem blaming in the same post.

Ironbite-what will you post next?