Author Topic: Nate Silver Predict's GOP Wins? WHY?  (Read 7994 times)

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
Nate Silver Predict's GOP Wins? WHY?
« on: September 15, 2014, 04:16:40 pm »
I've read about Nate Silver, Mr. Statistics Extraordinaire. Again, he's predicting a big GOP win for the mid-terms. I just want to know...WHY? I assumed the majority of the U.S. were sane Liberals & Centrists and that the hardcore insanity of of the GOP was sure to produce some huge changes for the better in this year's midterms. Even if you had voter suppression tactics here & there in some states, surely it would come to naught because of out Progressive majority.

We can't just say Nate's wrong, because we were all behind Nate when his predictions favored Obama & Democrats, therefore saying he's wrong now would just be sour grapes.

Of course, we could use Nate's predictions and purposefully prove him wrong and REALLY get out to the polls!

I would love to know. Was I delusional for thinking that America was mostly Progressive? Is the USA really a Tealiban majority? How could Nate Silver state something so "wrong" sounding? We Americans have heard the stupid statements from GOPers. We Americans have protested in droves. We Americans do not want to live in a Theocracy. There's a HUGE BACKLASH against the Far-Right! Has Nate been bought by the GOP?

Are Progressives such a minority in this country? Should we move to Canada and start over?

Should we listen to Nate Silver?

I need hope.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
Re: Nate Silver Predict's GOP Wins? WHY?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 04:39:41 pm »
I don't know, I'll have to do some research.

But it's good to have you back, Spuki.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 04:48:45 pm »

Thanks. You're so awesome and understanding. I just don't know what's going on anymore. What's real. What's not. Regressives seem to be coming back with a vengeance all over the world. There must be a solution. I thought this was the 21st Century. Things on Earth are supposed to get more Progressive, not less. Where can anyone be free anymore? Why can't Progressives fight? Are we not the majority? How does one destroy the power of the Corporations & Military Industrial Complex? Why is it so hard to fight and defeat The Power. Karma favors us, not them. The meek are to inherit the Earth, not them. Good is greater than evil. Is this not The New Age? The Ascending Dwapara Yuga? WHEN WILL IT END? WILL WILL BABYLON FALL?

Perhaps it's up to me & other magickal thinkers. I will write a list of the various leaders of these organizations....and kill them with death curses. It's time for Progressives to get in on the "Spiritual Warfare" act. Obviously mundane actions aren't working.

What do you think, Ultimate Paragon?

I know everyone other than you will think I'm looney tunes for saying all this. But you seem to be the only person who's not only understanding but doesn't find spiritual stuff fakey.

I'm thinking of starting a Facebook group based on Progressive Spiritual Warfare & Spellwork to take out the corruption on Planet Earth. Obviously mundane means aren't working anymore & physical warfare would be stupid & dangerous.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 04:53:42 pm by SpukiKitty »

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 05:02:48 pm »

Thanks. You're so awesome and understanding. I just don't know what's going on anymore. What's real. What's not. Regressives seem to be coming back with a vengeance all over the world. There must be a solution. I thought this was the 21st Century. Things on Earth are supposed to get more Progressive, not less. Where can anyone be free anymore? Why can't Progressives fight? Are we not the majority? How does one destroy the power of the Corporations & Military Industrial Complex? Why is it so hard to fight and defeat The Power. Karma favors us, not them. The meek are to inherit the Earth, not them. Good is greater than evil. Is this not The New Age? The Ascending Dwapara Yuga? WHEN WILL IT END? WILL WILL BABYLON FALL?

Perhaps it's up to me & other magickal thinkers. I will write a list of the various leaders of these organizations....and kill them with death curses. It's time for Progressives to get in on the "Spiritual Warfare" act. Obviously mundane actions aren't working.

I know everyone other than you will think I'm looney tunes for saying all this. But you seem to be the only person who's not only understanding but doesn't find spiritual stuff fakey.

I'm thinking of starting a Facebook group based on Progressive Spiritual Warfare & Spellwork to take out the corruption on Planet Earth. Obviously mundane means aren't working anymore & physical warfare would be stupid & dangerous.

If you really think it'll work, go ahead.  And don't worry.  I've never really been a judgmental person.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2014, 05:20:52 pm »

If you really think it'll work, go ahead.  And don't worry.  I've never really been a judgmental person.

Cool.

Y'know? I just thought of something. I think Nate Silver's guess is based on the past. Usually, in the past, Dems never really voted in droves during mid-terms. Also, Nate's predictions can be a catalyst to boost "Get Out The Vote" efforts among the Democratic party. There has been an upswing of "Get Out The Vote" efforts, lately. I'm definitely voting this Nov. 5th.

That said, I'll still do the "Progressive Spiritual Warfare" thing, anyway.

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2014, 05:26:49 pm »
I've read about Nate Silver, Mr. Statistics Extraordinaire. Again, he's predicting a big GOP win for the mid-terms. I just want to know...WHY?

Probably because loyal Republicans are more likely to vote in midterms. Democrats as a whole, and especially progressives, are notoriously lazy midterm voters. It's still a ways away from election day, though, so there's still a bit of fuzziness (last I heard, his prediction of a GOP Senate takeover was 60%) but good predictions will hone in on 100% one way or the other as November approaches.

Let me know if that works at all. JREF has a million dollars sitting around for whoever can write clear instructions for how to accomplish this.

That said, I'll still do the "Progressive Spiritual Warfare" thing, anyway.

Honestly, I wouldn't hold my breath :/
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2014, 05:31:28 pm »
Let me know if that works at all. JREF has a million dollars sitting around for whoever can write clear instructions for how to accomplish this.

Though that begets the question.

Let's say Spuki did this.

Let's say some of the actually ended up dying.

Is there any way to actually prove that these things are related?
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2014, 05:34:17 pm »

Though that begets the question.

Let's say Spuki did this.

Let's say some of the actually ended up dying.

Is there any way to actually prove that these things are related?

That's why JREF requires clear instructions for how to replicate this in a testable environment. Something specific enough to rule out coincidence.

If I had those powers, I'd donate the million dollars to charity because I'm such a nice guy.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2014, 06:08:21 pm »
Spuki, isn't there some sort of rule against using curses to do harm/deal death to people?

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2014, 06:16:50 pm »
Nate Silver's predicting a GOP victory, huh?

Ah well. I'll have to get used to the capitalist theocratic hellscape that is GOP America, I suppose.
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2014, 06:22:20 pm »
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public.

H. L. Mencken

I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2014, 06:42:27 pm »
Spuki, isn't there some sort of rule against using curses to do harm/deal death to people?

There is in Druidic Wicca, as memory serves...
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2014, 07:11:22 pm »
Well, I see myself more as a greywitch. Not all NeoPagans & Witches go by the Rede.

That said, death is rather rash. Perhaps a good binding spell would be more ethical.

But most of you don't believe in that stuff, anyway. I understand completely.

Well, Nate's predictions are based on the past, where Progressives were lax with mid-term votes. That said, THIS current crop of GOPers have a major case of The Crazies not to mention all the nuttiness with deranged killer cops & other junk. The Dems have been doubling down on the "Get Out The Vote" stuff.

I re-edited some MRA cartoon in the "Worst Cartoon" thread. Check out my Progressive correction!

Art Vandelay

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2014, 07:13:33 pm »
So let me get this straight. You wonder why your side is so ineffectual to the point of near irrelevancy, and your solution to this is to cast spells at people you don't like.

I think you just answered your own question there, Voldemort.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2014, 07:31:44 pm »
As I remember from a TV Show, if a druid becomes malicious and uses his / her spells for evil or the harm of others, they become a hideous Darach, only able to be slain by Tyler Posey./ColbertVoice
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer