Author Topic: Arizona Stat Senator wants mandatory Church Attendence  (Read 2194 times)

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
Arizona Stat Senator wants mandatory Church Attendence
« on: March 27, 2015, 05:07:30 pm »
I cannot believe the amount of stupid that is coming out of Arizona these days.  First there's the lawmaker who thinks cancer is a type of fungus, then there's the fact they think you can "reverse" an abortion.  Now we've got this lady who seems to think that in order to solve the problems facing us with guns we need mandatory Church attendance.  I'm not even joking.

Source: http://www.kpho.com/...y#ixzz3VVpj6fVa

PHOENIX (KPHO/KTVK) -
Each year a few ideas get proposed at the state Capitol that have people shaking their heads.

This year: Mandatory church attendance.

An Arizona state senator thinks it is a good idea for the American people.

State Sen. Sylvia Allen, R-Snowflake, brought it up during a committee meeting Tuesday while lawmakers were debating a gun bill concerning concealed weapons permits, not religion.

Allen explained that without a "moral rebirth" in the country, more people may feel the need to carry a weapon.

"I believe what's happening to our country is that there's a moral erosion of the soul of America," she said.

"It's the soul that is corrupt. How we get back to a moral rebirth I don't know. Since we are slowly eroding religion at every opportunity that we have. Probably we should be debating a bill requiring every American to attend a church of their choice on Sunday to see if we can get back to having a moral rebirth," she told the committee.

Moral rebirth?  Really?  I'm at a point that the more stupid that comes out of this state, the more we as a country can't move on past whatever roadblock the GOP has put in front of us.  For hug's sake people, this was at a meeting about gun control.

Ironbite-at least she had the sense to realize that it would never happen though I'm sure she would like it to.

Offline Damen

• That's COMMODORE SPLATMASTER Damen, Briber of Mods
  • The Beast
  • The Dark Sex God
    • John Damen's Photography
Re: Arizona Stat Senator wants mandatory Church Attendence
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2015, 05:20:32 pm »
Wow...I just...wow. You know, I'm pretty sure the problems with violent crime (whether or not guns are involved) has more to do with gang activity and poverty than it does with the Sky-Daddy. But, frankly, who the fuck would think this was in any way an okay thing for a public official to say no matter the event considering that actually passing that law would be the most blatant violation of the 1st Amendment that could be thought of?

I think Arizona is going the rout of Florida with politicians: the sun had finally baked their brains.
"Fear my .45"

"If the liberties of the American people are ever destroyed, they will fall by the hands of the clergy" ~ Marquis De Lafayette

'Till Next Time,
~John Damen

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2015, 09:26:43 pm »
State Sen. Sylvia Allen, R-Snowflake

Great. So, that's already a thing....as well as a town. Is she on Tumblr yet?
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline lord gibbon

• That Weird Guy in the Corner
  • The Beast
  • living trivia machine
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2015, 09:33:05 pm »
Also, why is there a town called Snowflake in Arizona? wouldn't a name like More Fucking Sand be more appropriate?
Excuse me, sir, do you have a minute to talk about your lord and savior, Hannibal Barca?

Quote from: Seneca
Religion is regarded by the common man as true, by the wise man as false, and by the powerful man as useful
Yeah, if the pagans are so smart, why did Jesus invade Pagan-land on the back of a dragon and kill them all!

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2015, 02:04:20 am »
Also, why is there a town called Snowflake in Arizona? wouldn't a name like More Fucking Sand be more appropriate?
Maybe they saw a single snowflake once and thought it was so rare in the region that the town was renamed for this incident? Or maybe it is an ironic name? (Even though irony does not work like that, then again... Arizona.)
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2015, 11:09:24 am »
Okay, what the hell is wrong with Arizona?

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2015, 11:18:48 am »
Sunstroke?
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2015, 01:12:06 pm »
This is your brain... (Egg)
This is your brain in Arizona. (Frying egg in pan)

Any questions?

Yes, I'm showing my age with that, but whatever.

Offline Damen

• That's COMMODORE SPLATMASTER Damen, Briber of Mods
  • The Beast
  • The Dark Sex God
    • John Damen's Photography
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2015, 05:14:01 pm »
This is your brain... (Egg)
This is your brain in Arizona. (Frying egg in pan)

Any questions?

Yes, I'm showing my age with that, but whatever.

Yeah, can I get a side of bacon with my Arizona fried brain? And please be careful, I just redecorated the kitchen.

Now my own age is showing through.
"Fear my .45"

"If the liberties of the American people are ever destroyed, they will fall by the hands of the clergy" ~ Marquis De Lafayette

'Till Next Time,
~John Damen

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2015, 02:17:23 am »
It is really sad that quite often you come across a story that leave you stupefied. You just stand there mouth agape as you stare in mild horror at the sheer level of stupidity.
I honestly dont even know what to say about this story other than to just softly repeat "wow" while shaking my head.

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2015, 06:33:51 am »
Just another attempt by some GOP moron to pass a stupid law so later he can point to the Democrats and say, "We tried to pass bills to improve this country, but they kept blocking them!"  Then the Democrats make zero attempt to point out the obvious and the GOP comes out looking like the saviors. 
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2015, 11:51:26 am »
Does anyone else think it's a little sad and more than a bit telling that this asshat (along with others) think that just going to church makes you a better person? Like once you pass through the doors you hit that beam of light and all of a sudden the hardest hearts lighten and you become a Good Guy. Kind of like how some idiots think going to college makes you smarter.

You know, I wonder what Snowflake would think if all the people forced to go to church decided to be Catholic or Jewish. Or Unitarian.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline Star Cluster

• Pope
  • I need my space.
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2015, 04:21:24 pm »

Actually, Arizona gets quite a bit of snow.  Snowflake gets around 17" of snow each year.  However, Flagstaff, AZ is one of the snowiest incorporated cities in the USA, even more so than Anchorage, Alaska.  Flagstaff averages just over 100" of snow per year while Anchorage averages around 75".

Now, that being said, even suggesting such a thing displays this woman's total lack of knowledge of what the Constitution says and guarantees where religion is concerned.  I could actually see such a law increasing violence, and not just with guns.

The heavens convince me there is no god.

Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.--Steven Weinberg

Religion can never reform mankind because religion is slavery--Robert G. Ingersoll

I don't know why people compare George Carlin to God. He's great and all, but he's no George Carlin.-Anon.

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2015, 05:54:02 pm »
It would add excitement to not going to church.
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.