General Category > Suggestion Box

Possible New Rule?

(1/2) > >>

Ghoti:
I have an idea for a new rule that might make it easier for debaters to debate without getting sidetracked by irrelevant bullshit: the Specific Citation Rule. It would simply be that citations should be as specific as possible - instead of linking to a site, link to an article; instead of linking to a blog, link to a specific post, etc. For example:

Bad: "The Bible says you're a sinner!"
Better: "It says in the book of Romans that everyone sins."
Best: "For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God - Romans 3:23"

It seems pretty obvious, but I've noticed that there have been several instances where someone opted to give a very broad source, forcing the other person to dig through a bunch of unrelated crap in order to find where and if so-and-so actually said such-and-such. What do you guys (and gals, and people not otherwise specified) think?

davedan:
The Ultimate Paragon rule of Citation Excellence.

Ironchew:

--- Quote from: Ghoti on November 04, 2015, 11:48:33 pm ---I have an idea for a new rule that might make it easier for debaters to debate without getting sidetracked by irrelevant bullshit: the Specific Citation Rule. It would simply be that citations should be as specific as possible - instead of linking to a site, link to an article; instead of linking to a blog, link to a specific post, etc. For example:

It seems pretty obvious, but I've noticed that there have been several instances where someone opted to give a very broad source, forcing the other person to dig through a bunch of unrelated crap in order to find where and if so-and-so actually said such-and-such. What do you guys (and gals, and people not otherwise specified) think?

--- End quote ---

I'm happy with a link and a summary of the point said link backs up; at least I know what I'm looking for and I can make an objective decision whether or not the citation is accurate. On the other hand, posting walls o' links on their own annoys me to no end primarily because I don't know what I'm looking for.

The most egregious abuses of link-spamming remind me of evangelists that hand out their literature instead of engaging in a conversation with targets they hope to convert.

Svata:

--- Quote from: Ironchew on November 05, 2015, 03:09:47 am ---
--- Quote from: Ghoti on November 04, 2015, 11:48:33 pm ---I have an idea for a new rule that might make it easier for debaters to debate without getting sidetracked by irrelevant bullshit: the Specific Citation Rule. It would simply be that citations should be as specific as possible - instead of linking to a site, link to an article; instead of linking to a blog, link to a specific post, etc. For example:

--- End quote ---

I'm happy with a link and a summary of the point said link backs up; at least I know what I'm looking for and I can make an objective decision whether or not the citation is accurate. On the other hand, posting walls o' links on their own annoys me to no end primarily because I don't know what I'm looking for.

The most egregious abuses of link-spamming remind me of evangelists that hand out their literature instead of engaging in a conversation with targets they hope to convert.

--- End quote ---

"Here, have more links."
"No, there is to much. Let you sum up."

mellenORL:
I'd add that all links must have a quote paste of the relevant portion being cited in the argument. Otherwise, as 'Chew stated, the wall of links effectively act as a sort of anti-homing missile chaff. A lazy man's obstructionism.

If you're gonna start a dog fight, then defend your point. Don't just shit and run.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version