Author Topic: "Psychic" Sally Morgan Sues Critics for £150,000 After Refusing $1 Million to Pr  (Read 11695 times)

Offline Radiation

• ILLUMINATI...ASSEMBLE!
  • The Beast
  • Just Radiation, I am so uncreative
Got this over from another forum. I thought that it was pretty entertaining. A British psychic refuses to go on a show and show off her powers whereas she would gain $1mil, however she decides to sue a news agency for criticizingher.

Last week, Sally Morgan -- a performer who bills herself as "Britain's best-loved psychic" -- sued the publisher of the Daily Mail for £150,000 for printing an article suggesting that she and other self-proclaimed psychics might be using trickery rather than mystical powers when they appear to talk to the dead.

Maybe the Mail's article (by magician and former psychic Paul Zenon) really did damage Sally Morgan's reputation so much that she needs the money. The irony is that just after that article was published, when the allegations that "Psychic Sally" was a cheat were front-page news, our organization along with peer organizations in the UK offered her $1,000,000 and the chance to clear her name, simply by proving her powers were real. Yet, she declined. Why?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dj-grothe/psychic-sally-morgan-sues_b_1244151.html
"Radiation, were beauty measured by the soul instead of the body, you would be legendary on the status of Helen of Troy. Be strong." -The Sandman

Offline Mechtaur

• The Beast
  • Ladies, contain your orgasms.
Maybe she's doing it because she foresaw that no one would believe her?

Offline syaoranvee

• The Beast
James Randi: Take my free million dollar challenge.

Psychics: Later.

Offline Jodie

• Cyborg Wannabe
  • Pope
  • WTF???
    • Doodles and stuff
I hope she foresaw how unlikely a victory in court is for her. But then again, if she had, she would not be suing* now would she? Way to prove yourself a fraud, moron.

(*edit to fix spelling)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 02:29:01 am by Jodie »
Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Corinthians 13: 4-7

Art Vandelay

I'm just amazed that "psychics" still exist in this day and age. Cold reading is pretty much common knowledge (or at least, I like to think it is).

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
I don't like psychics that are loud about their 'gift'. They're more often than not frauds.

Have fun in court, utreekov.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
I've yet to come across a psychic who wasn't a fraud.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
I'm just amazed that "psychics" still exist in this day and age. Cold reading is pretty much common knowledge (or at least, I like to think it is).

There are still people dumb enough in this world to believe these people.

Ironbite-ain't that a shame?

Offline shadowpanther

• Sod it, this'll do.
  • Bishop
  • FOR SCIENCE!
On the one hand psychics.

On the other The Daily Mail.

Whatever happens, schadenfreud will ensue.
Fight Spam! Click Here!
"Kick logic to the curb and do the impossible!"- Kamina, Gurren Lagann.

"Telling someone they know a lot is like telling a man with a few grains of sand clinging to him that he possess much sand."-Stephen Fry

They say an Englishman's home is his castle; which is handy as my home IS a castle and I LAUGH from the top of the turrets.

Offline Star Cluster

• Pope
  • I need my space.
A psychic refusing to prove her powers, even for a million bucks?  Who couldn't have seen that coming?
The heavens convince me there is no god.

Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.--Steven Weinberg

Religion can never reform mankind because religion is slavery--Robert G. Ingersoll

I don't know why people compare George Carlin to God. He's great and all, but he's no George Carlin.-Anon.

Offline Ian1732

• Neonate
  • In my dream, I am the star. It's me.

Somewhat off topic, but it's always good to see another Homestuck fan on this board.
"That was the plan. To give you a boner. And you've got one." -Nic Cage
YES GLORIOUS LEADER IS EXCELLENT BEYOND ALL MORTALS IN EVERY WAY INCLUDING HOW MANY BILLIARD BALLS HE CAN FIT IN HIS MOUTH

Offline Kain

• God
  • The Alkaline one

Yep, sounds about right. :D
In paranoia I find genius / But the ice-dreams have come
with spiritless consequence / A hatchet has been hidden
between my eyes / A hatchet gift-wrapped in paranoia / A
wooden heart never bleeds / A wooden heart never bleeds,
yet inextricable thoughts still weave / Introspection
fabricated for battle / No time has been wasted
/ Neuroleptic seconds marry electroconvulsive hours / In
the cranial freezer, paranoia is the bastard and I
find genius Petrify / Paralyze

Offline MisterMuncher

• 6061 Aluminium Chef
  • Neonate
On the one hand psychics.

On the other The Daily Mail.

Whatever happens, schadenfreud will ensue.

Quite. Can't they both lose?

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
I just figured out a perfect way for the psychichs to respond to this "Prove that you are a psychic and get €€€€ or else you are a fake" deal.

Just say that you do not use your abilities to gain money because that would be unethical. Tadaa! Then again I guess that would mean that they have to stop making money by faking to be a psychic...
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Lithp

• Official FSTDT Spokesman
  • The Beast
That logic would quickly be shot full of holes because it suggests making money by using a skill is inherently evil.