Author Topic: Helicopter parents invades your workplace  (Read 10873 times)

Offline N. De Plume

• Mysterious Writing Implement
  • The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
Re: Helicopter parents invades your workplace
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2012, 08:58:07 am »
I have had my dad ride along to an interview…

…When that interview is out of town and I would like company for the ride…

…And then he hangs out at a mall or other attraction on the other side of town while I have the actual interview…

…And the person I am interviewing with never knows my dad was even in town.
-A Pen Name

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2012, 05:13:53 pm »
My parents had more of a sink-or-swim attitude.  When I returned after two years in the Army my dad said, "Where have you been?  We haven't seen you around much lately."
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline Dantes Virgil

• Bishop
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2012, 06:05:32 pm »
My parents had more of a sink-or-swim attitude.  When I returned after two years in the Army my dad said, "Where have you been?  We haven't seen you around much lately."

LOL

I've missed you.

Offline Bezron

• a mysterious riddled spicy burrito wrapped enigma...stuck in some hot chick's colon dreaming of fanginas
  • Pope
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2012, 06:12:38 pm »
A Director I am friends with told me recently that she had a parent of a new Associate (entry level, college grad, so usually 23 or 24) call her up to argue something that was discussed in the girl's review.  Needless to say, my friend told the parent that her call was inappropriate (and apparently hung up on her) and then told the Associate that this type of thing was unacceptable and if it happened again she would be moved to a different team.  The girl left the company (voluntarily) 3 weeks later.

Offline Dantes Virgil

• Bishop
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2012, 08:02:01 pm »
Damn.

Yeah, I'd think the standard reply would be that company policy and sometimes law indicates you can't discuss employees' reviews with outside folks, even if they're parents!  I'm just amazed sometimes at what parents think they're entitled to for their kids.

Offline Caitshidhe

• The Keeper of the Kupos
  • The Beast
    • Axiom Speaks
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2012, 11:01:41 pm »
...okay, from what I can tell the 'millennium' generation aren't any less mortified by the fact that their parents exist than any previous generation. So... how the fuck do they square this kind of parental behaviour with their natural inclination to be completely humiliated by the fact that their genetic donors exist?

Holy cognitive dissonance, Batman!

Except, I dunno, maybe the kids don't like it either.
'The idea that things must have a beginning is really due to the poverty of our imaginations.' -- Bertrand Russel

Offline affirmedatheist

• Neonate
    • Writings of an Affirmed Atheist (my blog)
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2012, 12:58:21 am »
...okay, from what I can tell the 'millennium' generation aren't any less mortified by the fact that their parents exist than any previous generation. So... how the fuck do they square this kind of parental behaviour with their natural inclination to be completely humiliated by the fact that their genetic donors exist?

Under their breath they're probably muttering

Mum, dad, I love you, but GO AWAY! YOU'RE MAKING IT WORSE!

Offline Bezron

• a mysterious riddled spicy burrito wrapped enigma...stuck in some hot chick's colon dreaming of fanginas
  • Pope
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2012, 06:46:58 am »

It's probably related to the fact that things have been this way thier entire lives, so they just think it's the norm.  These are the same parents that yell at teachers, coaches, etc. 

Offline Star Cluster

• Pope
  • I need my space.
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2012, 08:22:10 am »

It's probably related to the fact that things have been this way thier entire lives, so they just think it's the norm.  These are the same parents that yell at teachers, coaches, etc.

I tend to agree with this.  My sister pretty much fits the mold of a helicopter mom.  Her son is 13 years old and has never really had to do anything for himself.  He now expects her to do damn near everything for him.  I really don't see how, if things don't change radically soon, how he will be able to cope with anything once he has to go out into the world on his own.  He's fairly smart when it comes to school grades, but I think that's because she really pushes him to do well in school.  But the kid doesn't have a lick of common sense.  And when I try to explain something to him, the expression and responses I get from him indicate that everything I told him just flew right over his head.

His father is a useless lug when it comes to parenting.  He is out of town most of the time due to his business and even when he is home he rarely gets his ass off the sofa to do anything.  He has let himself go and is very overweight.  His father died off a heart attack at age 50 and my BiL is now 54, so is probably living on borrowed time.  He even asked me a while back that, if anything should happen to him, not to let my sister ruin their son.  I asked him, "How the hell could I keep her from ruining him if you're not going to do anything yourself?"  He just sort of shrugged and didn't answer.

My wife and I have tried to be a positive influence on him, but unfortunately, he's with his mom a lot more than he is with us.
The heavens convince me there is no god.

Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.--Steven Weinberg

Religion can never reform mankind because religion is slavery--Robert G. Ingersoll

I don't know why people compare George Carlin to God. He's great and all, but he's no George Carlin.-Anon.

Offline Podkayne

• Pope
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2012, 11:07:24 am »
Are the parents attending job interviews just tagging along for moral support and waiting outside while the interview is conducted? Or actually showing up and attempting to take the interview on the child's behalf?
Don't make vague, generic threats, or else!

Offline Auri-El

• Raxacoricofallapatorian
  • Pope
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2012, 11:43:32 am »
Are the parents attending job interviews just tagging along for moral support and waiting outside while the interview is conducted? Or actually showing up and attempting to take the interview on the child's behalf?

Even if it's just for moral support, that should end about the time the kid finishes high school. By 19 or so, kids should be able to go to an interview by themselves. Gotta grow up eventually.

Offline gyeonghwa

• Uppity and Proud of It
  • The Beast
  • That angry queer your tone trolls warned you about
    • Queer & Khmer
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2012, 12:07:05 pm »

According to the article, I'd go with the latter.
That may be the single gayest thing I have ever read on this board. Or the old one. ;)

Offline Yla

• The Beast
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2012, 06:12:42 pm »
I'd guess that in most cases it's only the first. I have read accounts of the latter happening, though, so that's that.
That said, I've stopped trying to anticipate what people around here want a while ago, I've found it makes things smoother.
For I was an hungred, and ye told me to pull myself up by my bootstraps: I was thirsty, and ye demanded payment for the privilege of thine urine: I was a stranger, and ye deported me: naked, and ye arrested me for indecency.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2012, 06:15:20 pm »
In my own personal case for the first type of situation, it's because I don't drive due to a crippling fear that, due to my lack of experience, I'm going to end up killing someone or someone's pet.  (Ironically, in order to get that experience, I need to keep driving)

I'm slowly overcoming this fear, but that's the case.

And no, I don't fancy the idea of being shepherded around my entire life, either.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline armandtanzarian

• God
  • Sad tropical monkey
    • My band's music
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2012, 10:49:07 am »
And no, I don't fancy the idea of being shepherded around my entire life, either.
I know some people who welcome it. It shows in the women they date (for me they tend to be men, or maybe because guys who expect their women to do everything, including wake them up, are generally more socially abhorrant than the opposite case here).