Author Topic: Far-right *narrowly* loses Austrian election  (Read 7954 times)

Offline Souriquois

• Apprentice
  • Laurentian Elite
    • Playing the Race Card
Far-right *narrowly* loses Austrian election
« on: May 26, 2016, 11:54:04 am »
Norbert Hofer of the Freedom Party, a party founded by ex-Nazis, lost by less than 1% to Alexander van der Bellen of the Green Party

Results:

90% of manual labourers voted for Hofer.

And here is a chart of the rising influence of right-wing populism in Europe. It's not just Austria. Poland and Hungary have such governments.

Let us overthrow the totems, break the taboos. Or better, let us consider them cancelled. Coldly, let us be intelligent. - Pierre Elliott Trudeau

If you're not uncomfortable, you're not growing - Thomas J. Watson

The best defense against bullshit is vigilance, so if you smell something say something - Jon Stewart

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Re: Far-right *narrowly* loses Austrian election
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2016, 12:10:55 pm »
Would have been the first far-right president in the country, instead they got their first green president.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Souriquois

• Apprentice
  • Laurentian Elite
    • Playing the Race Card
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2016, 01:06:55 pm »
Would have been the first far-right president in the country, instead they got their first green president.

It's crazy that Europe is going in this direction. Haven't they learned from history this doesn't work out?
Let us overthrow the totems, break the taboos. Or better, let us consider them cancelled. Coldly, let us be intelligent. - Pierre Elliott Trudeau

The best defense against bullshit is vigilance, so if you smell something say something - Jon Stewart

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2016, 01:12:29 pm »

It's crazy that Europe is going in this direction. Haven't they learned from history this doesn't work out?

When you have stagnant wages combined with a feeling of being under siege, the far-right starts looking increasingly appealing.  These are some of the same factors that led to the rise of fascist governments between the world wars.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2016, 06:54:58 pm »

A lot of parties in democratic countries bought into the neoliberal consensus. Privatisation good, public utilities bad and let the bankers do what they want. Since the bankers royally borked it they've been insisting the only solution is cuts, cuts, cuts-except where bailing out flagging banks is concerned and most mainsteam politicians have been lapping it up. This is why people are getting pissed off with the mainstream and turning to new, often extreme political parties. My two cents.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2016, 08:45:39 pm »

A lot of parties in democratic countries bought into the neoliberal consensus. Privatisation good, public utilities bad and let the bankers do what they want. Since the bankers royally borked it they've been insisting the only solution is cuts, cuts, cuts-except where bailing out flagging banks is concerned and most mainsteam politicians have been lapping it up. This is why people are getting pissed off with the mainstream and turning to new, often extreme political parties. My two cents.

Sounds more-or-less accurate to me.  I think another factor is the "under siege" mentality a lot of Europeans have.

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2016, 09:19:18 pm »
Fear and uncertainty activate Authoritarian followers and make some otherwise non-authoritarian followers behave like Authoritarians.

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2016, 12:00:08 am »
At this point, I should take the time to recommend the book The Authoritarians by Bob Jean Altemeyer. It is a great book, that I've mentioned in the past at a certain Dynamic Dragon, which earn me PM praise from some followers. Nevertheless, it details why right-wing authoritarianism should be a concern of ours, as well as why it is generally more dangers than the existential threat of left-wing authoritarianism.

Additionally, I must add, that this is the ONLY link I have ever said that you all must read. I suggest this, because the tests that Dr. Altemeyer performed show just how likely it is that some like a Trump or Cruz is to destroy our democracy for their own personal ends. While America is a constitutional federalism, as an attorney, those protections are only as strong as the judges that enforce them. Long story short, the book does a good job at highlighting the shortcomings of democracy and how authoritarians (like Trump/Cruz) could take advantage of those shortcomings to shift our democracy to an authoritarian paradigm. If you have the time, I strongly recommend you read the book, as well as recommend it to those who will also read it.
Does anyone take Donald Trump seriously, anymore?

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2016, 06:25:00 am »
They'll get into power eventually. They'll save europe. Or at least we'll gloat.
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Offline Skybison

• The Beast
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2016, 01:07:25 pm »
Save it from what?  Peace? empathy? freedom? prosperity? stability?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 01:09:30 pm by Skybison »

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2016, 01:57:21 pm »
Save it from what?  Peace? empathy? freedom? prosperity? stability?

Emo-kids that try too hard to be edgy?
Does anyone take Donald Trump seriously, anymore?

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2016, 02:06:29 pm »
Shitty techno music?

Offline Souriquois

• Apprentice
  • Laurentian Elite
    • Playing the Race Card
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2016, 03:13:05 pm »

I agree. I have a book on far-right populism and all these parties started up in Europe, United States, Canada, and Australia started up and gained traction during the neoliberal age.

There is also a Dutch professor who studies these movements, Cas Mudde, who says the same.

The only thing I disagree with the book, and Cas Mudde on, is that far-right populism here in Canada has died. It is weak, yes, but what happened is the far-right populist party merged with the Conservative Party, and they adopted neoliberal views. Stephen Harper started out in the far-right populist Reform Party and his government very much had those traits to it. But, he sold out to the corporations and dropped many aspects of his populism. So Canada is a unique situation, though it wasn't a leftist alternative that killed it, it was more neoliberal capitalism that killed it (even though it was neoliberal capitalism that caused their misery). Dunno, maybe Trudeau's embrace of Keynesian deficit spending is a good idea considering the far-right is getting worse in other countries where trickle-down economics and austerity are still the norms.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 03:15:05 pm by Souriquois »

Offline Souriquois

• Apprentice
  • Laurentian Elite
    • Playing the Race Card
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2016, 03:18:17 pm »
At this point, I should take the time to recommend the book The Authoritarians by Bob Jean Altemeyer. It is a great book, that I've mentioned in the past at a certain Dynamic Dragon, which earn me PM praise from some followers. Nevertheless, it details why right-wing authoritarianism should be a concern of ours, as well as why it is generally more dangers than the existential threat of left-wing authoritarianism.

Additionally, I must add, that this is the ONLY link I have ever said that you all must read. I suggest this, because the tests that Dr. Altemeyer performed show just how likely it is that some like a Trump or Cruz is to destroy our democracy for their own personal ends. While America is a constitutional federalism, as an attorney, those protections are only as strong as the judges that enforce them. Long story short, the book does a good job at highlighting the shortcomings of democracy and how authoritarians (like Trump/Cruz) could take advantage of those shortcomings to shift our democracy to an authoritarian paradigm. If you have the time, I strongly recommend you read the book, as well as recommend it to those who will also read it.

That book is very good. Funny, I posted about it on an "anthropology" forum (actually it was an HBD forum so it was full of RWNJs) accused the author of having "libruh bias" and making conservatives look bad.

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2016, 07:55:10 pm »
Hes determined to fist fuck Austria with rapist migrants and wedge their national identity in the EU. Pieces of shit like him will be punted out of the country when the people get sick of their country being dismantled and start putting heads of state that actually give a damn about the nation.
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.