Author Topic: A Vote for Jeremy Corbyn is a vote against the Jew  (Read 9351 times)

Offline TheContrarian

• Pope
  • Inter faeces et urinam nascimur
Re: A Vote for Jeremy Corbyn is a vote against the Jew
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2017, 03:44:05 pm »
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jul/04/jeremy-corbyn-says-he-regrets-calling-hamas-and-hezbollah-friends

"With hindsight I should have picked slightly different wording".  Is the wording really the most offensive thing here?

"What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist."

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2017, 03:51:15 pm »
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jul/04/jeremy-corbyn-says-he-regrets-calling-hamas-and-hezbollah-friends

"With hindsight I should have picked slightly different wording".  Is the wording really the most offensive thing here?

When you're trying to broker a peace between Israel and Hamas/Hezbollah, you can't call them out because they're likely to just up and walk away from the table. You have to use diplomatic language.

If I were ever elected to Parliament, it would be as an NDP MP. If I were then to speak of a Conservative MP as my "friend," it would be in that diplomatic sense, not because I agree with him or her on (almost) anything, and probably not because we're personal friends despite our disagreements.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2017, 06:45:06 pm »
This must be very difficult for the Contrarian. His party drove the country into recession and played footsie with the racist right to hold government - a decision that caused catastrophe. And now a resurgent firmly left-wing Labour has crushed them horribly in an election they arrogantly thought they had in the bag. The public doesn't want any more of his ignorant thieving bullshit any more. Thatcherism is dead. The public killed it at the ballot box. Everything he believes is wrong and has always been wrong.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 06:51:19 pm by Lt. Fred »
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2017, 03:54:53 am »
Well, none of this seems to have hurt him in the election. Quite the result, eh Conty?

Moar salt pls.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2017, 03:58:35 am »
Well, none of this seems to have hurt him in the election. Quite the result, eh Conty?

Moar salt pls.

Eh, what'll probably end up happening is that the Tories form a government with either a formal coalition with the DUP or an informal working arrangement.

The big question is whether they'll commit regicide against May. ("The Tory Party is an absolute monarchy moderated by regicide.") They can turn on their leaders ferociously and viciously.
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2017, 04:12:12 am »
Could someone explain the results to me?

So the Conservatives still are the biggest party but not big enough to win every vote without help from the others and this is seen as a disaster?

Are all the other parties so opposed to them that they can't make a deal with them, maybe throw the occasional bone and keep on doing what they did before?
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2017, 05:07:48 am »

Moar salt pls.

Eh, what'll probably end up happening is that the Tories form a government with either a formal coalition with the DUP or an informal working arrangement.

The big question is whether they'll commit regicide against May. ("The Tory Party is an absolute monarchy moderated by regicide.") They can turn on their leaders ferociously and viciously.
It's not a good result for Brexiters though, the DUP has only spoken in support of a "soft Brexit". They do not want to nuke the Good Friday agreement or have a hard border with Ireland. If the EU comes back and says it's hard Brexit or nothing it'll get very interesting.

Could someone explain the results to me?

So the Conservatives still are the biggest party but not big enough to win every vote without help from the others and this is seen as a disaster?

Are all the other parties so opposed to them that they can't make a deal with them, maybe throw the occasional bone and keep on doing what they did before?

A hung parliament means you get odd kingmakers because the person who holds the balance of power gets a lot of power relative to the number of seats they hold. Australia has had a couple. Which again, is why the DUP holding the Tories by the balls doesn't bode well for Brexit fans.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 05:10:14 am by Tolpuddle Martyr »

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2017, 05:26:35 am »
It's just that in Finland it is the norm that you have more than one party in the government and that they have to make compromises.

Sometimes a party will storm out and leave because they can't have their way or at least threaten to do so, usually it all works out though.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Svata

• Doesn't even fucking know anymore
  • The Beast
  • No, seriously, fuck astrology.
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2017, 07:01:58 am »
Compromise? In government? What's that?
"Politician" is the occupational equivalent of "Florida".

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2017, 08:02:56 am »
(click to show/hide)

My take on the Tories.
Does anyone take Donald Trump seriously, anymore?

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2017, 08:05:55 am »
(click to show/hide)

My take on the Tories.

...But tell us how you really feel.

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2017, 09:23:01 am »
(click to show/hide)

My take on the Tories.

I think I love you.

Offline Kanzenkankaku

• The Beast
  • Dreamer/Lightner
    • Mastadon Account
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2017, 04:53:51 am »
Compromise? In government? What's that?

I think I read about that in a mythology book once. Right after the page on Unicorns.

Offline TheContrarian

• Pope
  • Inter faeces et urinam nascimur
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2017, 02:28:45 pm »
This must be very difficult for the Contrarian. His party drove the country into recession and played footsie with the racist right to hold government - a decision that caused catastrophe. And now a resurgent firmly left-wing Labour has crushed them horribly in an election they arrogantly thought they had in the bag. The public doesn't want any more of his ignorant thieving bullshit any more. Thatcherism is dead. The public killed it at the ballot box. Everything he believes is wrong and has always been wrong.

Who got crushed?  Last I heard Corbyn's Comrades were still in a distant second.

To pinch a comment I saw on another forum

1979 - Callaghan won 269 seats, he admitted defeat & resigned.
1992 - Kinnock won 271 seats, he admitted defeat & resigned.
2017 - Corbyn wins 262 seats, claims victory and orders the winner to resign.

But yeah don't let a pesky thing like reality get in the way of your marxist fervour.

"What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist."

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2017, 02:33:07 pm »
1979: Callaghan lost 50 seats and the Prime Ministership, and Thatcher won a majority.

1992: Kinnock gained 42 seats, but was expected to win; instead John Major won a shock majority.

2017: Corbyn gained 30 seats even though he had been expected to be wiped out, and May was reduced from a majority to a minority.

EDIT:

1979: Labour received 36.9% of the popular vote to the Conservatives' 43.9%, a 7-point gap.

1992: Labour received 34.4% of the popular vote to the Conservatives' 41.9%, a 7.5-point gap.

2017: Labour received 40% of the popular vote to the Conservatives' 42.4%, a 2.4-point gap.

Further, a big factor that neither Callaghan nor Kinnock had to contend with, but Corbyn did, was the SNP. Labour majorities were often based on their winning most of the seats in Scotland, a task made much harder by the rise of the SNP in recent years, and this time even harder due to the Scottish Conservatives having a popular leader in Ruth Davidson. (As one SNP supporter noted, it really was true in a lot of ridings that "A vote for Labour is a vote for the Conservatives" because those ridings had become SNP-Conservative battlegrounds.)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 04:52:16 pm by dpareja »