Community > Science and Technology

Computer component shenanigans

(1/4) > >>

Cloud3514:
http://wccftech.com/first-amd-ryzen-threadripper-benchmarks/

So, uhhhh, yeah. First AMD scares Nvidia with the RX series of video cards, then Ryzen proves to be a better value than Kaby Lake for anything except 100% pure dedicated gaming rigs and now this. Reminder: Threadripper 1950x is $50 cheaper than the i9 7900X and Tom's Hardware couldn't get the 7900X to overclock without using a $1000 industrial class system cooler.

EDIT: Put "1900X" instead of "7900X." Whoops.

Svata:
Also, the threadripper is just better. 16 core/32 thread as opposed to 10 core/20 thread.

Sure the 7980EX will outclass it (18 core/34 thread) but its also $1999, and will probably have the same heating issues as the 7900X.

dpareja:
Intel processors aren't meant to be overclocked.

Cloud3514:

--- Quote from: dpareja on August 06, 2017, 04:55:14 am ---Intel processors aren't meant to be overclocked.

--- End quote ---
The i9 is. We're looking at enthusiast grade chips here. If you want a chip that isn't meant to be overclocked, you're not looking at the x299 platform.

AMD is on a roll here. If Vega can live up to the hype and match Nvidia's higher class gaming cards, we're likely to see an arms race and that will drive prices down and force innovation. Hell, we're likely to see that even if Vega fails to live up to the hype. This is a very good thing.

Eiki-mun:
Since y'all are talking about processors, I hope you don't mind if I ask, but you said the Ryzen series is apparently a really good value. Does this include the Ryzen 1600? I've been looking at that processor as a highly viable option for the computer I plan to build later this month.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version