Author Topic: Google facing multiple lawsuits  (Read 49139 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Re: Google facing multiple lawsuits
« Reply #45 on: August 13, 2017, 09:58:26 am »
Regarding the LARP thingy, debate/flaming on the Worldcon Facebook page has been building up all day and it looks like it is becoming a hot topic with people on both sides getting way too heated.

EDIT:

Summary: Some people claim that the LARP had a bad summary explanation that made it seem like it was about making fun of Alzheimers. Some people see this as a claim that LARP isn't suitable for serious and sad themes and are defending LARP. Some people blame Worldcon organizers for being too quick to ban the game. Some people complain about "snowflakes" shutting down things that they oppose.

BTW: Earlier in the con there was an AIDS themed LARP. About kids dying in AIDS epidemic. No one complained about that one.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 10:03:42 am by Askold »
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Lana Reverse

• The Beast
« Reply #46 on: August 13, 2017, 10:52:03 am »
b) Lana, that's not really an answer. You continue to ignore evidence that does not support your views.

What evidence? Seriously, what evidence? Even Murdin, for all his/her criticisms, didn't actually disprove any of Damore's statements, and even acknowledged that he was right about a lot of things.

On the other hand, there is a large body of work to demonstrate that yes, plenty of gender differences are at least partly biological.

I already mentioned that male and female brains are structured differently. Women, on average, have thicker corticies, while men generally have higher brain volumes in many key regions, including the hippocampus and striatum. Volumes and cortical thickness also vary more among men than they do among women. This lines up with previous work looking at sex and IQ tests, which demonstrate that while men and women have near-identical mean IQs, women's IQ scores tend to be more clustered around the mean, while men's tend to have a more varied distribution. This means that while men in general aren't smarter or dumber than women, you're more likely to encounter a very smart or very dumb man than you would a very smart or very dumb woman.

These differences appear to be based on gender identity, not on biological sex, as studies of the brains of transgender people indicate that transwomen's brains are more similar to those of women than of men, and vice versa. However, there is the caveat that these studies have small sample sizes, so more research is needed. There are also other studies that cast doubt on this idea, but there are also compelling reasons to take many of those studies with a grain of salt. As is the case with many transgender topics, more research is needed.

And it's not just studies of brains that point in this direction. Studies of sex hormones indicate that they play a role in behavioral and cognitive differences between men and women. Studies also indicate that gender differences in human children can also be found in other primate juveniles (though they may be at least partly social in some cases).

I'm perfectly willing to review any evidence against this. The scientific establishment has been wrong before (cholera, continental drift, etc.) So rather than approaching this ideologically, let's look at it scientifically.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 10:54:11 am by Lana Reverse »
Beware those who hate the rich more than they love the poor.

Offline Skybison

• The Beast
« Reply #47 on: August 13, 2017, 03:09:17 pm »
Well you destroyed that strawman completely, but slight problem: NO ONE SAID THAT THEIR ARE NO BIOLOGICAL DIFFERENCES BETWEEN MAN AND WOMEN.

What we are arguing is that Sexist McSexistface took the genuine science and vastly exaggerated it to justify misogynist, racist, and all around douchey political views.  That he did so is what Murdin and Askold were arguing and for my money proved.  He said that women are biologically worse software engineers then men, which no science whatsoever supports.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #48 on: August 13, 2017, 03:49:19 pm »
Did you even read the counter written by an actual scientist?
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #49 on: August 13, 2017, 04:04:20 pm »
Something tells me he was NOT told how to Dougie.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Lana Reverse

• The Beast
« Reply #50 on: August 13, 2017, 05:55:31 pm »

I have. I've also read a rebuttal to her article:

https://nintil.com/2017/08/10/contra-sadedin-varinsky-the-google-memo-is-still-right-again/

Have you?

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #51 on: August 13, 2017, 06:45:34 pm »

https://nintil.com/2017/08/10/contra-sadedin-varinsky-the-google-memo-is-still-right-again/

Have you?

I also pissed in an old woman's sauce pan when I was a child.

Have you?
Does anyone take Donald Trump seriously, anymore?

Offline Lana Reverse

• The Beast
« Reply #52 on: August 13, 2017, 07:42:31 pm »

Have you?

I also pissed in an old woman's sauce pan when I was a child.

Have you?

No, but now I have a quote for my sig. Thank you!

Offline Svata

• Doesn't even fucking know anymore
  • The Beast
  • No, seriously, fuck astrology.
« Reply #53 on: August 13, 2017, 07:55:22 pm »
Its generally considered polite to ask before sig-quoting something.
"Politician" is the occupational equivalent of "Florida".

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #54 on: August 13, 2017, 08:11:18 pm »
On the one hand, my typical opinion on Lana is best summed up by the phrase "pseudo-intellectual small dog syndrome that can go f itself." But I also don't believe in intellectual property. So go ahead. That makes like five sigs I am in.

Also, FWIW, I appropriated that story from Jean-Jacques Rosseau's Confessions.
Does anyone take Donald Trump seriously, anymore?

Offline Murdin

• Bishop
« Reply #55 on: August 13, 2017, 09:57:10 pm »

Have you?

This was a very interesting article, thanks. It certainly opened my eyes on a few issues with my reason-ing.

Do you have anything to add to it, or do you stand by its words?

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #56 on: August 13, 2017, 11:10:10 pm »
On the one hand, my typical opinion on Lana is best summed up by the phrase "pseudo-intellectual small dog syndrome that can go f itself." But I also don't believe in intellectual property. So go ahead. That makes like five sigs I am in.

Also, FWIW, I appropriated that story from Jean-Jacques Rosseau's Confessions.

Queen, you're just on a roll today providing good potential sig-quotes - could not agree with you more about Lana right now. "pseudo-intellectual small dog syndrome that can go f itself".
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #57 on: August 14, 2017, 02:09:53 am »
The rebuttal to rebuttal dismisses some of her points with little more than an emote when it can't defend the original text, focuses on nitpicking little details while using similarly dubious statements to make their own points.

Offline Lana Reverse

• The Beast
« Reply #58 on: August 14, 2017, 11:24:39 pm »
The rebuttal to rebuttal dismisses some of her points with little more than an emote when it can't defend the original text, focuses on nitpicking little details while using similarly dubious statements to make their own points.

Then why not take that up with the article's author? They have a comments section.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #59 on: August 15, 2017, 12:09:50 am »
...Because YOU linked it here as an answer to the question I made.

If you're gonna use gish gallop as your debate style at the very leaat expect others to look at the sources you provide.