Author Topic: Team Fortress 2: Mann vs Machine  (Read 18584 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Re: Team Fortress 2: Mann vs Machine
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2012, 01:40:23 pm »
WHY DIDN'T ANYONE TELL ME ABOUT THIS SOONER!

I'm gonna have to reinstall TF2 to try this.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2012, 04:36:58 pm »
Also, I saw the price of a ticket.

99 cents...

That's about what I paid to enable trading and increased drop rate all of that awesome shit, so it really isn't a big deal to me... :V (I mean, sure, I don't trade, but I like the increased drop rate and not being considered a Froob)
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Yaezakura

• The Pokemon Mistress
  • God
  • Little Lesbian Gaming Goddess
    • A Mayor's Tale - The daily trials of an Animal Crossing Mayor
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2012, 05:44:39 pm »
Also, I saw the price of a ticket.

99 cents...

That's about what I paid to enable trading and increased drop rate all of that awesome shit, so it really isn't a big deal to me... :V (I mean, sure, I don't trade, but I like the increased drop rate and not being considered a Froob)

Well, it's 99 cents per ticket. A a single ticket lets you play 1 mission of "Mann Up Mode". Winning gives you a normal drop (there's a slim chance this will be a hat or misc. item, it will usually be a common weapon). If you complete all 6 missions, you get a rare item (These rare items seem to be "Botkiller" weapons, reskinned stock weapons that have a robotic Heavy head hanging from them).

Saturn500

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2012, 09:54:06 pm »
Yaez, you forgot to mention that the tickets are only consumed if you win.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2012, 10:14:11 pm »
...If it's a guaranteed drop-on-win, then yeah, I can see why they'd charge money for it.

It sounds like since the Botkiller weapons are more or less reskins anyways... are they tradeable, I wonder?

Regardless, since the guaranteed drops you get are basically the same drops you'd get from just playing a normal match of TF2... you're more or less paying for guaranteed drops.

Honestly, they have to make money somehow, and this is actually really clever.  It's insanely cheap and affordable by cash shop standards, which encourages people to buy in bulk.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Yaezakura

• The Pokemon Mistress
  • God
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2012, 11:10:18 pm »
Yes, the Botkiller weapons are supposedly able to be traded. Especially since the reward is a random one, and there's 1 for each class (technically 2 for each class, a normal Botkiller Weapon and a Gold Botkiller Weapon).

I finally managed to play a round of the new mode. It can get surprisingly difficult, especially when you have a Giant Heavy with 8 Quick-Fix Medics trained on it... But, it's also pretty damned hilarious when you're a demoman spamming a million Lock 'n' Load pipes.

I also found that a sticky trap laid ahead of time takes care of all those Medic-bots pretty quickly.

Offline Mechtaur

• The Beast
  • Ladies, contain your orgasms.
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2012, 11:56:22 pm »
I haven't played in almost a month, maybe this will finally get me off my ass to dust off my Iron Curtain again.

Offline Yaezakura

• The Pokemon Mistress
  • God
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2012, 12:02:48 am »
I haven't played in almost a month, maybe this will finally get me off my ass to dust off my Iron Curtain again.

Miniguns can get pretty ridiculous. You can do the fairly common damage and ammo upgrades, but you can also upgrade Miniguns to pierce multiple targets and knock enemies back.

Offline syaoranvee

• The Beast
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2012, 12:45:58 am »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6KatJHmbIE" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6KatJHmbIE</a>

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2012, 02:21:43 am »
Having played it with a good chunk of my WoW guild... yeah, I'm BACK!

*rests sniper rifle on shoulder* Be courteous, be efficient, have a plan to kill everyone you meet, am I right?
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Yaezakura

• The Pokemon Mistress
  • God
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2012, 02:28:12 am »
Having played it with a good chunk of my WoW guild... yeah, I'm BACK!

*rests sniper rifle on shoulder* Be courteous, be efficient, have a plan to kill everyone you meet, am I right?

Be polite*.

Yes, I am that big a fucking TF2 nerd these days.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2012, 02:30:11 am »
I've been up 24 hours straight, I knew it was one or the other.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Yaezakura

• The Pokemon Mistress
  • God
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2012, 03:46:43 am »
If anyone's interested, here's a stream of someone playing the Mann Up Mode (the one you need a ticket for): http://www.twitch.tv/4o4star

Not sure how long they'll be going.

Offline syaoranvee

• The Beast
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2012, 04:11:42 am »
Got my Tour of Duty Badge:

(click to show/hide)

Played spy:

Had fully upgraded sapper and +100% backstab damage on big enemies(It takes out a fifth of their health with one backstab.).
Sapped the medics as soon as they spawned healing the large enemies as so they can't uber.  They only begin to uber when attacked.  Fully upgraded sapper will sap all of them. 
Backstab them all but make sure to look out for what they were healing, it'll whip right around and blast your ass.  Which is why you should wait until it turns a corner before backstabbing sapped medics.
Later in the round had 50% blast and bullet resistance, plus 10% speed increase.  I would run in and sap a large enemy like a multi rocket soldier, backstab them twice before they noticed and then run around them jabbing at them with the knife while they tried to keep up while taking sustained sentry fire.  (We had 3 engineers.)

Our medic believed it was doomsday brought upon by "Roboprincess Celestia", we all believe him to be mad.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 05:28:44 am by syaoranvee »

Offline Yaezakura

• The Pokemon Mistress
  • God
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2012, 11:33:25 am »
...and, it turns out Botkiller Weapons are all Strange.

Which makes them go from "worthless novelty" to "ZOMG I WANT EVERY ONE OF THEM" in my mind.

*sighs* Damn you, Valve. Damn you and your kill-tracking ways.