Author Topic: # BanBossy  (Read 4266 times)

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
Re: # BanBossy
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2014, 03:09:44 pm »
Let's ban the phrase "Past Due."
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline rageaholic

• The Beast
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2014, 11:44:11 pm »
Here's the thing, is there really a double standard where boys are encouraged to be assertive?  Okay, maybe in some contexts (bible belt towns), but it seems to be a dying trend.  That's not to say that women aren't being held back in other ways, but this doesn't sound like a good solution. 

Offline Rabbit of Caerbannog

• He's Got Great Big Teeth and the Holy Hand Grenade!
  • The Beast
  • Hit me with your best shot! Fire awaaaay!
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2014, 01:07:28 am »
Here's the thing, is there really a double standard where boys are encouraged to be assertive?  Okay, maybe in some contexts (bible belt towns), but it seems to be a dying trend.  That's not to say that women aren't being held back in other ways, but this doesn't sound like a good solution. 

Well, yes. Boys are encouraged to be aggressive and are penalized if they show signs of sensitivity or weakness - i.e., "Show them that you're a man!" I've seen a lot of guys who are very aggressive and pushy who get praised for how "tough" they are, but if a girl is anything less than sugar-sweet in a conversation people assume that she's "bitchy."

I strongly encourage you to watch Miss Representation if you get the chance because it provides many examples of how women who attempt to seek "male" roles (such as politicians) are degraded in the press in uniquely sexist ways that men don't face. For instance, Hillary Clinton being called a "nag" simply for speaking her view in a debate, Condoleeza Rice being described as a "dominatrix," Sarah Palin being asked if she had breast implants, and so on.
In the business world the phenomenon is referred to as "think manager, think male." The same attributes that would pay off for a man work to the detriment of a woman. In fact, one of the most famous SCOTUS cases on the subject was Price Waterhouse v. Hopkins. Give it a read if you wanna have your blood boil.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2014, 05:36:30 pm »

Well, yes. Boys are encouraged to be aggressive and are penalized if they show signs of sensitivity or weakness - i.e., "Show them that you're a man!" I've seen a lot of guys who are very aggressive and pushy who get praised for how "tough" they are, but if a girl is anything less than sugar-sweet in a conversation people assume that she's "bitchy."

I strongly encourage you to watch Miss Representation if you get the chance because it provides many examples of how women who attempt to seek "male" roles (such as politicians) are degraded in the press in uniquely sexist ways that men don't face. For instance, Hillary Clinton being called a "nag" simply for speaking her view in a debate, Condoleeza Rice being described as a "dominatrix," Sarah Palin being asked if she had breast implants, and so on.

That being said I still don't like Sheryl Sandberg.
This kind of thinking hurts both men and women.  If somebody wants to conform to gender roles, fine.  But it's also good if they want to do something that goes against the grain.

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2014, 05:39:21 pm »

That being said I still don't like Sheryl Sandberg.
This kind of thinking hurts both men and women.  If somebody wants to conform to gender roles, fine.  But it's also good if they want to do something that goes against the grain.
Feminism is about choice, if a girl truly wants to do something, then let her do it.
Some restrictions may apply.

Offline TheUnknown

• The Beast
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2014, 04:49:46 pm »
Just saw a news segment about this.  The headline at the bottom said "More politically correct garbage the world doesn't need to hear - especially from them" (I'm assuming 'them' is referring to the female celebrities who endorse it).  It didn't say where the quote was from, or if we're just supposed to assume it was said by the guy they were currently interviewing (though he didn't say it during the interview).

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2014, 04:58:01 pm »
Just saw a news segment about this.  The headline at the bottom said "More politically correct garbage the world doesn't need to hear - especially from them" (I'm assuming 'them' is referring to the female celebrities who endorse it).  It didn't say where the quote was from, or if we're just supposed to assume it was said by the guy they were currently interviewing (though he didn't say it during the interview).
I'm going to pretend it means jews.