Author Topic: Intel fucked up. Like. BAD.  (Read 3954 times)

Offline Svata

• Doesn't even fucking know anymore
  • The Beast
  • No, seriously, fuck astrology.
Intel fucked up. Like. BAD.
« on: January 03, 2018, 02:15:00 am »
https://gizmodo.com/report-all-intel-processors-made-in-the-last-decade-mi-1821728240

Long story short. Every Intel processor made in the last decade has a massive security hole, and every OS is gonna have to write a patch to fix around it. It's predicted to cause a 5 to 30% hit to performance. in everything using an intel chip. Everything. Not just consumer-grade processors. Servers too.
"Politician" is the occupational equivalent of "Florida".

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
Re: Intel fucked up. Like. BAD.
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2018, 02:49:05 am »
Ah crap, just looked. Got an intel processor.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2018, 02:55:20 am »
Eep.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2018, 03:04:37 am »
For fuck's sake.

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2018, 05:31:53 am »
Whoa.

*Hugs his AMD-processor system*

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2018, 08:53:49 am »
Holy hellfire.  I feel for the folks that have to deal with this bullshit, even if I'm...not-so-secretly glad I am, have been, and always will be an AMD man.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Svata

• The Beast
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2018, 09:56:12 am »
Bad news, AMD brethren. Looks like since AMD won't let every detail of their CPUs' architecture be publicly known (which is completely understandable) the patches will, in fact, impact AMD-running systems as well, as this is gonna have to be an OS level patch, not something that can be done via drivers or something.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2018, 01:50:48 pm »
Bad news, AMD brethren. Looks like since AMD won't let every detail of their CPUs' architecture be publicly known (which is completely understandable) the patches will, in fact, impact AMD-running systems as well, as this is gonna have to be an OS level patch, not something that can be done via drivers or something.

So, Intel fucked up, and everyone pays the price. Damn.

EDIT: Well, that assumes that AMD users install said patch. Granted, they may not have much of a choice on Windows, since MS has changed its patching regimen. Linux users might be able to avoid it, but maybe not, since I think it's a kernel patch.

EDIT #2: http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/intel-amd-processor-1.4471322

Meanwhile, for those who care about such things, Intel shares have dropped 6%, while AMD shares have gained 9%.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 02:48:35 pm by dpareja »
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Svata

• The Beast
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2018, 04:45:14 pm »
Sure, but that probably means you can never update Windows again, if you want to avoid it.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2018, 04:48:31 pm »
Sure, but that probably means you can never update Windows again, if you want to avoid it.

Which, considering the Shadow Brokers leaks (thanks, NSA!), is Not Advisable.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2018, 08:09:24 pm »
From what I'm reading, there are two attacks, Meltdown and Spectre. Meltdown is only confirmed for Intel but might affect AMD. Spectre definitely affects both. (source)
Σא

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2018, 08:27:08 pm »
From what I'm reading, there are two attacks, Meltdown and Spectre. Meltdown is only confirmed for Intel but might affect AMD. Spectre definitely affects both. (source)

Ew.

EDIT: But are these what are exploiting this Intel vulnerability? The dates (Intel back to 1995?) don't match, and this hole was only discovered in Intel, not AMD (or ARM). which Spectre, at least, can attack.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 08:29:27 pm by dpareja »

Offline Svata

• The Beast
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2018, 09:44:28 pm »
Note: There are, so far, no exploits in the wild that take advantage of the security hole revealed.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2018, 01:00:46 am »
Note: There are, so far, no exploits in the wild that take advantage of the security hole revealed.

Isn't that down to the fact that the discoverers have managed to keep the details mostly under wraps? I think the only reason we know as much about it as we do is because Linux kernel development is open-source, so people can figure out what's being fixed from how the Linux kernel is being patched.

So once someone more nefarious figures it out (which I wouldn't be too surprised to see happen before the patches hit), watch out.

EDIT: https://www.askwoody.com/2018/multiple-reports-of-blue-screens-bsods-0x000000c4-when-installing-the-january-win7-monthly-rollup-kb-4056894/

Looks like there are some major issues with the main Windows 7 patch this month.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 01:32:45 am by dpareja »

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2018, 02:50:54 pm »
Great. More reason I wish I had waited for Ryzen 5.
Who needs a signature?