Author Topic: Serb war criminal Radovan Karadžić found guilty  (Read 5110 times)

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
Serb war criminal Radovan Karadžić found guilty
« on: March 24, 2016, 03:38:49 pm »
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/25/world/europe/radovan-karadzic-verdict.html?_r=0

Better late than never.  Here's hoping Mladić won't take much longer.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 03:40:43 pm by Ultimate Paragon »

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
Re: Radovan Karadžić found guilty
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2016, 03:39:54 pm »
Who?

UP's grasp of context at its finest, I see...
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Re: Serb war criminal Radovan Karadžić found guilty
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2016, 03:46:26 pm »
Who?

UP's grasp of context at its finest, I see...

I'm not surprised that you don't know this but he was a pretty big deal during the war in former Yugoslavia.

Shame that it takes this long for the wheels of justice to turn but I guess he's not getting out of jail alive.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2016, 03:55:13 pm »
I know about him because Sabaton wrote a song about him:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wik-Xv9uD7I" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wik-Xv9uD7I</a>

I guess we finally get an answer of "who will drag me to court", huh?
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline Delirium

• Bishop
  • "i choose my own way to burn." - sophie scholl
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2016, 07:46:56 pm »
I know about Karadzic because of "Serbia Strong". It's really depressing how many people I've seen who support him just because of a stupid Internet meme.

Offline Skybison

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2016, 09:26:22 pm »
^I've never heard of the meme, but seriously people support him?  WTF?  Are they just clueless idiots who don't know who the guy is? 

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2016, 03:21:46 am »
He committed a genocide against Muslims (Bosnians). I'm not all that surprised there are people who would side with him. There most certainly are people who are willing to excuse things like a genocide against an other group (Croats) if you attack a demonized group. Extreme-right Serbians would see no flaw in the latter action either, of course.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2016, 03:43:15 am »
Doesn't make up for the fact that the international community sat on it's hands while the deed was done, but good he's going down I guess.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2016, 11:26:21 am »
I still can't stomach how the term "genocide" was white washed into "ethnic cleansing", and that the media actually preferred to use the latter in reporting about it.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2016, 12:34:01 pm »
I never thought that ethnic cleansing would be a white wash term since it still describes the same atrocity and has always been equally horrible in my eyes.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2016, 02:05:04 pm »
Ethnic cleansing is making an area ethnically "pure" by whatever method - mass murder is just one option, others means can be for example forcibly moving population elsewhere or forced mass sterilization. As such, what the Serbs did was ethnic cleansing by the means of genocide. Which term you choose to use is a matter of taste, not white washing.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2016, 05:25:43 pm »
The term was unknown here in the states until the 1990s, the Balkan wars. And all three aspects of "ethnic cleansing" were employed during WW II. I've always equated it with gilding a rotten lily.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline TheContrarian

• Pope
  • Inter faeces et urinam nascimur
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2016, 02:18:47 pm »
Doesn't make up for the fact that the international community sat on it's hands while the deed was done, but good he's going down I guess.

Kinda.

The UN troops at Srebrenica stood by and did shit all because they weren't given the mandate to act.

It was NATO's intervention after that that put a stop to the bastard.

"What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist."

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2016, 06:02:51 pm »
Srebrenica was 1995, NATO didn't step in until '98 so they didn't act until after the ethnic cleansing of Srebrenica was well and truly over.

Offline TheContrarian

• Pope
  • Inter faeces et urinam nascimur
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2016, 08:36:16 am »
Srebrenica was 1995, NATO didn't step in until '98 so they didn't act until after the ethnic cleansing of Srebrenica was well and truly over.

Well yeah, nobody said NATO were quick off the mark.

But then it's an organisation largely run by Americans.  This is the country that used the sinking of a ship 23 months previously as a casus belli for joining a war...

"What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist."