Author Topic: Funny/Stupid/Scary/WTF church signs.  (Read 6135 times)

Offline rageaholic

• The Beast
Funny/Stupid/Scary/WTF church signs.
« on: November 07, 2012, 06:12:51 pm »
A Baptist church I passed this morning had a sign "All that's needed for evil to rule is when good men do nothing" (not a direct quote but close).  Didn't think much of it at first, but then I wondered if the sign was just put up today after the results of the election.  I mean I drove by this church before and saw a sign that said "Heaven and hell are real, which one are you going to?".  So I suspect this is one of the nuttier churches out there. 

I also remember another Baptist church with a sign "Jesus is coming soon, are you ready?".  Same intimidating tone as the hell one.  Baptists are like this I guess. 

Then there's just the stupid ones. 

"God answers knee mail"
"Jesus is the rizzle forthe sizzle"
"A free thinker is Satan's slave"
"I kissed a girl and I liked it, then I went to hell" (though I admit I laughed at this one when I first saw it).

I'd have pictures, but I'm too lazy to link. 

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
Re: Funny/Stupid/Scary/WTF church signs.
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 09:47:43 pm »
Christian Piatt has compiled dozens.  Here's his latest set.
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline Morgenleoht

• The Beast
  • Formerly Known As Runa
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 09:48:38 pm »
The Baptist Church down the road from me has had:
"God uses soular power."
"Vote for Jesus."
Fundie Neighbour: "Pagans don't feel things the same way Christians do."

Me: "Just remember what the Vikings used to do to Christians that annoyed them."

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 11:05:10 pm »
"Autumn leaves, Jesus doesn't"
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 12:09:23 am »
I remember one finnish religious poster that I thought was funny. Basically it could be translated as:

"Believe in Jesus and you will be allowed to live."

Granted, I know that the message they wanted to give was "those who have faith in Jesus will be given life eternal in heaven" or something like that, but the way it had been phrased was a threat.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 02:37:21 am »
One of the classics has always been "Are your worries killing you? Let the church help."

Offline clockworkgirl21

• Day In, Day Out. All the Time. Work, Work, Work
  • The Beast
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2012, 10:35:35 pm »
A Christian pre-school near me had a sign up with the sun wearing sunglasses, with a speech bubble saying, "Come have fun in the Son!"

Art Vandelay

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2012, 10:38:16 pm »
A Christian pre-school near me had a sign up with the sun wearing sunglasses, with a speech bubble saying, "Come have fun in the Son!"
Talk about poor word choice...

Offline Igor

• The Beast
  • Welcome to the velvet room...
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2012, 08:40:32 pm »

Quote from: Quasirodent
The logical response to getting that tingle in his dingle is turning into an asshat, of course.

Les ananas ne parlent pas!

Offline Veras

• The Beast
  • I aim to misbehave
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2012, 12:52:57 am »
There is a Baptist Church in the town I grew up in that quite regularly has stupid or insane shit on their board.  (Un)fortunately, I rarely go by there anymore, and it has been so long that I have that I can only remember two gems.

"Don't be so open-minded your brain falls out"
"Islam:  America's greatest enemy"

I found the second one to be particularly fascinating/offensive.  Despite the fact that I was 15 or 16 and considered myself to be a conservative, my immediate response was something along the lines of, "Wait, what?  No, Muslim terrorists don't accurately represent Islam.  The problem is people who take their religion too seriously and are willing to kill for it.  The problem is radical fundamentalists, like the people of that church."
RIP Tony Benn (1925 - 2014)

"There is no moral difference between a stealth bomber and a suicide bomber. Both kill innocent people for political reasons."

“If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people.”

"I'm not frightened about death. I don't know why, but I just feel that at a certain moment your switch is switched off, and that's it. And you can't do anything about it."

Offline ScrappyB

• Bishop
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2012, 03:31:47 am »
There's a Baptist church around here that sometimes has weird stuff on their sign. A couple of months ago I drove past and they had:

JESUS IS COMING
RESISTANCE IS FUTILE

Yes, we've seen Raptor Jesus and Zombie Jesus, but it's the world ready for Borg Jesus? I'm still kicking myself for not pulling over to take a pic.

The funniest thing is there's a huge Mormon temple that's almost right next door to this church. Both buildings have been there since I moved here four years ago, but apparently the temple just opened about a week ago. I happened to be driving by when they were having. opening services or whatever, and there were at least half a dozen people standing on the sidewalk waving anti-Mormon signs with huge ass long URLs on them.
"All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian, or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit." - Thomas Paine

Offline Star Cluster

• Pope
  • I need my space.
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2015, 01:53:48 pm »
I know this is a necro-thread, but this was just too funny not to share and I didn't want to start a separate thread for it.

But apparently, he can't supply his followers with a spell-checker.
The heavens convince me there is no god.

Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.--Steven Weinberg

Religion can never reform mankind because religion is slavery--Robert G. Ingersoll

I don't know why people compare George Carlin to God. He's great and all, but he's no George Carlin.-Anon.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2015, 02:01:13 pm »
I know this is a necro-thread, but this was just too funny not to share and I didn't want to start a separate thread for it.

But apparently, he can't supply his followers with a spell-checker.

That is funny.

Offline Second Coming of Madman

• Some of Internet Jesus
  • The Beast
  • Cisscum Internationale Society
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2015, 04:48:23 pm »
"2014- the year of "release""

I see one with this every time I go to the grocery store.
@KanzlerImaginos - Feel free to drop me a line.

Toddlers get too much exercise, they wouldn't make good veal.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2015, 12:47:59 am »
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.