Author Topic: This day in our shameful history  (Read 1463 times)

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
This day in our shameful history
« on: August 19, 2017, 11:10:28 am »
64 years ago today, one of the greatest crimes ever committed against democracy and the right of a people to the free choice of their leaders was committed against Iran and the Iranian people in a coup d'état led by the Shah, backed by the US and UK.

The coup culminated in the removal of the democratically-elected Prime Minister of Iran, Mohammad Mossadegh, from power and imposition of the autocratic rule of the Shah for the next 26 years until the Iranian Revolution of 1979 that installed the current theocratic regime.

Mossadegh had planned to nationalize Iran's oil reserves, leading first Clement Attlee to attempt to undermine his government and then Winston Churchill and Dwight Eisenhower to back the coup.

And I bet this is "Breaking News" you won't see on CNN.

Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
Re: This day in our shameful history
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2017, 07:25:48 pm »
Quote from: Michele de Cuneo
While I was in the boat, I captured a very beautiful Carib woman, whom the said Lord Admiral [Columbus] gave to me. When I had taken her to my cabin she was naked -- as was their custom. I was filled with a desire to take my pleasure of her and attempted to satisfy my desire. She was unwilling, and so treated me with her nails that I wished I had never begun. But -- to cut a long story short -- I then took a piece of rope and whipped her soundly, and she let forth such incredible screams that you would not have believed your ears. Eventually we came to such terms, I assure you, that you would have thought she had been brought up in a school for whores.
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Skybison

• The Beast
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 12:16:46 am »
^Where's that from.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2017, 12:24:49 am »
^Where's that from.

Michele de Cuneo was one of Christopher Columbus' lieutenants. That's a translation of something he wrote about his experiences.

I posted it today, of course, since it's officially Columbus Day in the US.