Author Topic: Opinions on how to cook a small turkey?  (Read 3034 times)

Offline ScrappyB

• Bishop
Opinions on how to cook a small turkey?
« on: November 17, 2012, 04:43:33 am »
I usually don't do Thanksgiving because my family is 500 miles away, and I visit them at Christmas. My mom does all the cooking.

I've only tried roasting a turkey once, and it was a disaster because I think my meat thermometer malfunctioned. It said the turkey was at the right temp, but when I cut into it the thigh the meat around the bone was rubbery and pink. I ended up throwing most of it away.

I was at Costco yesterday and found they actually have some smaller turkeys this year in addition to the enormous 20 pounders they usually have. On a whim I decided to try again and came home with an 11 pound bird.

I checked online and there must be about a million ways to cook a turkey. I'm a bit lost on which method I should try. Brining? Oven bag? Flipping it over halfway through? Looking for a recipe that's easy and won't result in turkey jerky.

I have a roasting pan with a V rack, so it think I'm good there.
"All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian, or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit." - Thomas Paine

Offline Material Defender

• Food Scientist in Space
  • The Beast
  • Pilot of the Pyro-GX
Re: Opinions on how to cook a small turkey?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2012, 10:23:04 am »
No Turkey Triangle?

I'd suggest looking up Good Eats or Alton Brown recipes, because my boyfriend and I have always had good luck with his stuff. There might be a full episode of his thanksgiving specials of Good Eats online still. He doesn't cover small birds in his first special, but I think his second one he goes over the differences to some degree. If he doesn't have much on small birds, I wouldn't know what to suggest.

Turkey Cooking has so much urban myth around it.
The material needs a defender more than the spiritual. If there is a higher power, it can defend itself from the material. Thus denotes 'higher power'.

"Not to know is bad. Not to want to know is worse. Not to hope is unthinkable. Not to care is unforgivable." -Nigerian Saying

Offline SimSim

• Lover of Good Beer and Bad Movies
  • The Beast
  • I have a cunning plan
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2012, 11:13:59 am »
If you're not stuffing it, I'd stick a bunch of cloves of garlic inside it. Garlic mellows in flavor as it roasts, so it won't overpower the the turkey. Then rub olive oil, salt, and pepper on the outside of the turkey. Rubbing some more garlic on the outside wouldn't hurt either(no such thing as too much garlic, imo).

For a 11lb turkey you want to cook it for two and three-quarters, or 3 hours unstuffed. 3-3.5 stuffed. Both with oven set to 325F. Internal temp should be 165. Test at both thickest part of breast and inner thigh.

I've heard that tenting the turkey in foil for the first hour of cooking can help keep it moist, but I've never tried that myself.

Offline Material Defender

• Food Scientist in Space
  • The Beast
  • Pilot of the Pyro-GX
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2012, 11:16:52 am »
Never put stuffing in the turkey to cook, always cook it separately. Unless you've always wanted a case of food poisoning.
The material needs a defender more than the spiritual. If there is a higher power, it can defend itself from the material. Thus denotes 'higher power'.

"Not to know is bad. Not to want to know is worse. Not to hope is unthinkable. Not to care is unforgivable." -Nigerian Saying

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2012, 12:11:13 pm »
Firstly, this sounds common sense but, well, you know about common sense. Make sure the damned thing is all the way thawed before you do anything else. Also, preheat your oven. Let it get to temp before tossing your bird in. This part may take a while, but it's so worth it.

Aromatic herbs can be your friend. Stuffing the cavity, sliding them under the skin, sprinkling them on top, whatever floats your boat. My favorite way is every now and again sprinkling the turkey with some black pepper and brushing on some honey. It makes the skin crispy and sweet. And a very yummy.

As far as how long to cook it and at what temperature, whether it's 11 pounds or 25, it's a turkey. I want to say 375 and 20 minutes a pound, but double check that. Then just plan backwards.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2012, 01:14:52 pm »
You can safely force thaw your bird the restaurant way - in a large bowl in the sink, under a drizzle of cold running water. Would take about an hour for an 11lb bird. Only worth doing if you forgot to thaw it in fridge for a day, cuz it wastes a lot of water.

I've always used a roasting bag and a wire rack (your V-rack is fine) in the pan. The trick is simply to poke a couple of small holes in the bag under the turkey, so excess fat will drip out. The bag will still puff out from the bird as it gets hot and steamy in there. Since the bag keeps heat and moisture in,  the turkey cooks more thoroughly and a bit faster.

Absolutely - don't stuff it; waste of time and the stuffing just gets loaded with fatty grease.
The oil and salt rub method is classic French technique for a brown skin. Or, just rub it with a lemon half and sprinkle sugar lightly.

For the last half hour of weight-estimated cooking time of 3:15 @ 350F, slice or scissor the bag open to expose the skin to direct heat, turn the oven up another 25-50 degrees. Nice and crispy, that way.

Once the legs are loose at the hip joint, jam an icepick or kebab skewer deep into the thigh or breast and let the juice run onto a white paper towel; if there is no pink or red on the wet towel, the turkey is done.

Another protip....let-it-rest-let-it-rest-let-it-rest.....If you carve into a piping hot turkey, all the boiling hot juice within the muscle fibres will run out and your meat will be dry. The turkey continues to cook out of the oven for a good 20 minutes...so don't let any know-it-all, moochy relative/guest fuck up all your work by stabbing into it too soon. This goes for any meat or poultry. LET IT REST!
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 01:25:29 pm by mellenORL »
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2012, 04:58:02 pm »
[1] Place turkey in freezer.
[2] Find a restaurant that's open.
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline ScrappyB

• Bishop
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2012, 09:14:50 pm »
Thanks for the advice, everyone. I think I will try the oven bag method, since my oven doesn't have a self-cleaning cycle. On the last attempt, I had to clean the oven of spattered grease and it took forever.

It's a fresh turkey, so I don't have to worry about thawing. Not planning on making any stuffing either, since I can't stand the stuff.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 09:16:49 pm by ScrappyB »
"All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian, or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit." - Thomas Paine

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2012, 09:18:20 pm »
You and I will have words.

Offline clockworkgirl21

• Day In, Day Out. All the Time. Work, Work, Work
  • The Beast
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2012, 01:38:53 pm »
I don't have experience with cooking, but my grandma always oven bags it, and it's delicious.

You aren't supposed to cook the stuffing inside the turkey? We've done that since I've been alive, and no one has ever gotten sick.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 01:40:44 pm by clockworkgirl21 »

Offline Smurfette Principle

• Will Blind You With Library Science!
  • The Beast
  • Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo.
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2012, 02:07:03 pm »
You aren't supposed to cook the stuffing inside the turkey? We've done that since I've been alive, and no one has ever gotten sick.

And I eat raw cookie dough even though it has egg in it. There's a potential for food poisoning even if it hasn't happened yet.

Also... *slaps ironbite with riding glove* Stuffing is gross and mushy and ew. I'll eat it raw like croutons, but never cooked.

Distind

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2012, 02:10:28 pm »

And I eat raw cookie dough even though it has egg in it. There's a potential for food poisoning even if it hasn't happened yet.

Also... *slaps ironbite with riding glove* Stuffing is gross and mushy and ew. I'll eat it raw like croutons, but never cooked.
Yeah, I believe the potential issue with stuffing is much like that with cookie dough, not being cooked means you haven't sterilized the food. Doesn't mean you WILL get sick, but if there's something there that could get you it's got a fighting chance. Though with stuffing it's mostly only the people who don't know how to cook a turkey and wind up with a half frozen turkey and wonder why the stuffing is cold when they pull it out.

And really, stuffing? We thought you were better than that! We raised you better than that! /run!

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2012, 08:05:33 pm »
Stuffing is also a sponge for moisture and will in fact absorb things you'd rather not want from a raw turkey.

Ironbite-now if you'll excuse me.....*breaks out the really big riding glove and slaps Smurfette with it*  FOR HONOR!