Author Topic: The Newbie Thread  (Read 243351 times)

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
Re: The Newbie Thread
« Reply #675 on: June 06, 2014, 11:21:07 pm »
DON'T FUCKING CARE!

Art Vandelay

« Reply #676 on: June 06, 2014, 11:26:27 pm »
WHY ARE WE TYPING IN ALL CAPS?!

Art Vandelay - I FOR ONE DEMAND ANSWERS!

Offline Second Coming of Madman

• Some of Internet Jesus
  • The Beast
  • Cisscum Internationale Society
« Reply #677 on: June 06, 2014, 11:40:21 pm »
WHY ARE WE TYPING IN ALL CAPS?!

Art Vandelay - I FOR ONE DEMAND ANSWERS!
Well, when two Greater Daemons love each very much...The mama says "Ooh, that looks like a fun torture device!"...Then a thousand rites of evil involving unicorn sacrifice are performed...then a thousand infants cry in shit-spewing terror...then REDACTED Khorne has a dance party with REDACTED Daemonettes of Khorne...Then Stephen King writes a book out of it!

That's where babies come from!
@KanzlerImaginos - Feel free to drop me a line.

Toddlers get too much exercise, they wouldn't make good veal.

Offline Defensor Ineptiarum

• Neonate
« Reply #678 on: June 12, 2014, 10:34:46 pm »
Eh so it looks like there is another new forum for skeptics formerly associated with FSTDT? I've been on previous incarnations of such a forum, at different stages of my life, but I guess I am a newbie here now.

When I was 15-16 years old (circa 2006), my political and religious quotes from Christian Forums made it to FSTDT numerous times, and I even joined the FSTDT forums, where I was an active poster, and from there I provided yet more quotes, I was a goldmine of 'fundie' inanities. I was an extreme Catholic and mainly posted about the evils of Jews, homosodomites, atheists, communists, etc. It was mostly over-the-top rabid nonsense, I'm not sure myself whether I even believed the drivel I was spewing or if I was just trolling for attention, I was a self-parody. I was known then as "Defensor Fidei", "Defender of the Faith". As a homage to my past, in my present incarnation, I've chosen the username "Defensor Ineptiarum", "Defender of Absurdities".  :P

It seemed like there were a whole slew of different FSTDT forums after that, I know I joined one of them long after I had outgrown the stupidity and apologized for my teenage nastiness, but that forum is evidently gone.

I think it's important to be honest and bring up my past just to show that people can wake up and change...especially if those people were self-hating closet-case teenage trolls.  :P

Anyway I just turned 24 and am now a gay atheist dating a Jewish guy (actually I just blew him about an hour ago, sorry if TMI :o).

While I am staunchly opposed to the Abrahamic religions and some of their barbaric practices, coincidentally my maternal grandmother, maiden name Stein, was ethnically Jewish, which by matrilineal descent would I guess technically make me Jewish by their own laws. Weird.

But so my homophobic, anti-Semitic rants really were quite absurd.  ::)

My current political views include anarcho-communist sympathies, although as a pragmatist my job is working for my local Democratic state assemblyman and I am involved in the local Democratic Party, including the county committee and the Young Dems. My 15-year-old self would consider me to be a total Hell-bound abomination, but fuck him ::)...I've long since been banned from Christian Forums, but this seemed like an interesting community to re-connect with.

But anyway I hope you will not judge me based on the idiot troll I was back then.  :-[

So um, hai.  ;D
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 10:49:23 pm by Defensor Ineptiarum »

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #679 on: June 12, 2014, 10:46:01 pm »
Welcome back to what used to be FSTDT's forums, then :D
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #680 on: June 12, 2014, 10:49:23 pm »
Hello, and nice to see you on the dark side.

Yeah, there were a bunch of different incarnations of the FSTDT forums because of, well, a lot of reasons. This is the closest thing that's left.
Σא

• Neonate
« Reply #681 on: June 12, 2014, 10:54:55 pm »
Welcome back to what used to be FSTDT's forums, then :D

Haha thanks. I'm not sure if it's a good thing or a bad thing if people remember the old incarnation of me. :o What happened with all the different FSTDT fora that seemed to come and go? I remember the old FSTDT forum was run by a trans* woman, a 'pretty princess' I believe she called herself.

Funny thing, I was originally banned from Christian Forums for being too extreme in my rants against gays and Jews and my radical traditionalist version of Catholicism. A few years later I convinced them to unban me, and I ended up getting banned a second time for calling Chick-Fil-A supporters and opponents of marriage equality "bigots".  :P

Offline solar.

• God
  • Bepis
« Reply #682 on: June 12, 2014, 10:59:31 pm »
I joined almost a year ago, but welcome nonetheless.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #683 on: June 12, 2014, 11:33:06 pm »
What happened with all the different FSTDT fora that seemed to come and go? I remember the old FSTDT forum was run by a trans* woman, a 'pretty princess' I believe she called herself.

That was Yahweh. She eventually got burnt out on the whole thing and handed control to Distind (the current owner of FSTDT), and by "handed control" I mean she pulled the plug one day with little warning and had to be tracked down and convinced to give Distind access. Distind then set up a forum in Proboards (which is technically still alive though unused), which was supposed to be temporary but lasted for several years. Eventually most people got tired of Proboards' arbitrary rules and so we moved to a Simple Machines thing. As time went on Distind got tired of dealing with forum stuff so he asked if anyone else wanted to become forum admin while he ran the main page exclusively. I volunteered and got more or less democratically elected, and so for a while the forum and main page coexisted with different admins.

Then Distind said some things, people took offence, there was a lot of fighting, and he no longer wanted to keep the forum associated with FSTDT, but told me that if I wanted to keep it alive as a separate website I could. Digibase provided us with hosting and moved the database to a different domain, so essentially the forum stayed the same but with a different name.

And that is the Abridged History of FSTDT Forums, post-Yahweh era.
Σא

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #684 on: June 12, 2014, 11:37:43 pm »
Yeah, that pretty much sums up all of the important bits.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Kain

• God
  • The Alkaline one
« Reply #685 on: June 13, 2014, 02:28:35 am »
I thought you had another account on here?
In paranoia I find genius / But the ice-dreams have come
with spiritless consequence / A hatchet has been hidden
between my eyes / A hatchet gift-wrapped in paranoia / A
wooden heart never bleeds / A wooden heart never bleeds,
yet inextricable thoughts still weave / Introspection
fabricated for battle / No time has been wasted
/ Neuroleptic seconds marry electroconvulsive hours / In
the cranial freezer, paranoia is the bastard and I
find genius Petrify / Paralyze

• Neonate
« Reply #686 on: June 13, 2014, 11:09:54 am »
I thought you had another account on here?

I don't think so, I had accounts on FSTDT fora, but the only reason I even found out this FQA forum exists was from the link here: http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Fundies_Say_the_Darndest_Things

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #687 on: June 13, 2014, 11:46:46 am »
Welcome, Defensor.  I believe I remember you from both CF and FSTDT.  Indeed true that people can change their views, sometimes radically over the course of their lives.

I used to be known as SpaceProg in both places, but I doubt you'd remember me as I was a lot quieter back in the day.

I'm one of several theistic people here, but as you can see (seeing as how I'm a mod on a predominantly atheistic forum) we don't discriminate unless people are douches about it. 

Again, welcome and I hope you enjoy it here. :)

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #688 on: June 29, 2014, 05:16:45 pm »
So this is the place where I introduce myself, right?

My name is Eiki-mun, though Zach or IO will also suffice. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to say about myself here, but I'm definitely... I dunno. I like math, video games, and pretending to be fictional characters on Tumblr. I was gonna call myself my usual username, IdiotsOpposite, but I've been trying to wean myself away from it because it sounds rather pretentious. My vices are caffeine and, to a lesser extent, alcohol. I'm a Deist, a liberal, and a big fan of strategy games.

And, if I'm honest, I'm not sure what else to say here.
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #689 on: June 29, 2014, 08:39:11 pm »
Hmmm...I'm thinking 340 for 4 hours slowly turning every 15 minutes?

Ironbite-anyone else got any cooking tips?