Author Topic: Evolution and the Hymen  (Read 11999 times)

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
Re: Evolution and the Hymen
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2012, 08:28:40 am »
chimpanzees, elephants, manatees, whales, and horses all apparently have them. But I couldn't begin to tell you about them. Maybe the chimps if I set my mind to it and studied it.

If there's someone who is more knowledgeable about the above animals then maybe they can help and I welcome their knowledge. Anything outside of primates is beyond me for the most part (unless it's wolves and snakes).

Elephants and manatees are so distantly related to all the other mammals above that it's likely a primitive condition for most placental mammals.

Which means it's been around anywhere from the Late Jurassic to the Early Paleocene depending on phylogeny, so it's unlikely to be vestigial.

In them you mean?

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2012, 06:05:43 pm »
chimpanzees, elephants, manatees, whales, and horses all apparently have them. But I couldn't begin to tell you about them. Maybe the chimps if I set my mind to it and studied it.

If there's someone who is more knowledgeable about the above animals then maybe they can help and I welcome their knowledge. Anything outside of primates is beyond me for the most part (unless it's wolves and snakes).

Elephants and manatees are so distantly related to all the other mammals above that it's likely a primitive condition for most placental mammals.

Which means it's been around anywhere from the Late Jurassic to the Early Paleocene depending on phylogeny, so it's unlikely to be vestigial.

In them you mean?

I meant that if it's been around for that long, it would probably have been lost completely rather than being retained.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2012, 06:11:29 pm »
Ah. Yeah, I'm not sure the hymen itself is. But, I'm not an expert in that area (herf derf).

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!