Author Topic: Updated: Spain looking at possibly sueing US Govt over MegaUpload takedown  (Read 7837 times)

Offline CaseAgainstFaith

• Pope
  • Smartass with a Dunce Hat
Spanish privacy attorney Carlos Snchez Almeida, who's based in Barcelona, said the takedown may have violated people's privacy rights under Spanish law. Accordingly, he's threatened to file suit over the Megaupload takedown. On his Jaque Perpetuo blog, Almeida wrote Friday that "Spanish citizens who had accounts in Megaupload should collect as much information about the files that they had hosted, for the purposes of a possible claim" against the U.S. government. In particular, the U.S. government's actions may conflict with Spanish data-access and privacy laws, especially if U.S. authorities begin accessing data that was stored by Megaupload.

source - http://informationweek.com/news/security/client/232500305

I bet the Feds didn't take this into account when they did this.  I wonder should Spain actually file a lawsuit, will other countries join them?
This might of just opened up a giant can of worms that won't end well for the US once everything is said and done.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 09:12:39 am by CaseAgainstFaith »
Reasoning with a fundie is like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it is victorious - Anonymous
Let us drink like dwarves; Smoke like wizards and party like hobbits!

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
Re: Spain looking at possibly sueing US Govt over MegaUpload takedown
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 04:21:24 pm »
Last time there was a multi-national takedown people got mad and it violated laws. I didn't expect it would happen again. Interesting development.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Star Cluster

• Pope
  • I need my space.
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 05:36:19 pm »
See, this is another aspect of what I was talking about in the other thread.  When the US government starts going after people all around the globe, it becomes an enormous cluster fuck.  This thing is going to get nastier and nastier the further they get into it because not every country has the same laws the US does.  Nor are they all going to be willing to participate with or even co-operate with the US government in dealing with this if it is in opposition to their own laws. 
The heavens convince me there is no god.

Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.--Steven Weinberg

Religion can never reform mankind because religion is slavery--Robert G. Ingersoll

I don't know why people compare George Carlin to God. He's great and all, but he's no George Carlin.-Anon.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 05:43:30 pm »
Sánchez Almeida is saying Spanish citizens (who had something stored in Megaupload) might be able to sue, not Spain itself.
Σא

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 06:30:01 pm »
OH SNAP!

Ironbite-bet they didn't see this coming.

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 09:25:30 pm »
Sánchez Almeida is saying Spanish citizens (who had something stored in Megaupload) might be able to sue, not Spain itself.

Damn.  If the actual nation sued, they'd have a chance of stopping this madness.

The individuals in question don't have deep enough pockets to win in court, and would stand to lose quite a lot even in an out-of-court settlement.
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline DasFuchs

• God
  • Ruler of his own little world since 1977
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 11:43:40 pm »
GOOD

I'm glad someone in this, especially a country, has the balls to stand up and bitch slap the US government for overstepping bullshit
"To a New Yorker like you, a hero is some type of weird sandwich. Not some nut that takes on two Tigers!" "You gotta hit'em point blank in the ass!" Oddball

Offline VirtualStranger

• Blinded with Science
  • The Beast
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2012, 12:22:52 am »
IN RELATED NEWS

In a leaked letter sent to Spain’s outgoing President, the US ambassador to the country warned that as punishment for not passing a SOPA-style file-sharing site blocking law, Spain risked being put on a United States trade blacklist . Inclusion would have left Spain open to a range of “retaliatory options” but already the US was working with the incoming government to reach its goals.

Offline DasFuchs

• God
  • Ruler of his own little world since 1977
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2012, 03:30:58 am »
IN RELATED NEWS

In a leaked letter sent to Spain’s outgoing President, the US ambassador to the country warned that as punishment for not passing a SOPA-style file-sharing site blocking law, Spain risked being put on a United States trade blacklist . Inclusion would have left Spain open to a range of “retaliatory options” but already the US was working with the incoming government to reach its goals.

Someone needs to send a truckload of chill pills to the Feds
"To a New Yorker like you, a hero is some type of weird sandwich. Not some nut that takes on two Tigers!" "You gotta hit'em point blank in the ass!" Oddball

Art Vandelay

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2012, 05:47:05 am »
Doesn't sound to me like Spain actually has a case here. The laws violated were Spanish laws, not international. Megaupload is not a Spanish site, nor is it owned by Spanish citizen(s). In my (rather limited, admittedly) knowledge of law, it just looks more like a "fuck you, you dickhead" from the Spaniards than a serious legal challenge.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2012, 01:10:22 pm »
MegaUpload may not be Spanish, but its takedown affected Spanish citizens adversely, not just in a "denied service" sense, but in a "stolen information" sense.  Imagine if there was a global bank, and the USA shut it down... and in doing so, denied citizens in other countries the money they had stored in that bank.

And now the the USA is threatening Spain...

It really is true.  The United States of America is the country equivalent of a bully.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2012, 07:06:17 pm »
MegaUpload isn't Spanish or American. It was started by a musical artist from Hong Kong. America had no business taking it down to begin with, seeing as the owners 1) aren't American citizens and 2) were not consciously complicit in any piracy that occurred. If a guy owns a club where people get away with distributing drugs without his knowledge, do you arrest the club owner?
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2012, 07:34:52 pm »
MegaUpload isn't Spanish or American. It was started by a musical artist from Hong Kong. America had no business taking it down to begin with, seeing as the owners 1) aren't American citizens and 2) were not consciously complicit in any piracy that occurred. If a guy owns a club where people get away with distributing drugs without his knowledge, do you arrest the club owner?

Their claim is that the owners WERE complicit.
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

Offline starseeker

• God
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2012, 07:57:34 pm »

Their claim is that the owners WERE complicit.

And there's some very incriminating internal e-mails saying they were.

Offline Jack Mann

• Gold Bugger Jihad Pony
  • God
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2012, 08:15:19 pm »
And it was an international effort, involving law enforcement from numerous jurisdictions including Hong Kong.
اللغة العربية صعبة ، ولكنها جميلة جدا