Author Topic: Gunmen attack offices of French satirical magazine  (Read 13605 times)

Offline starseeker

• God
Re: Gunmen attack offices of French satirical magazine
« Reply #45 on: January 09, 2015, 06:02:53 pm »
1 dead policewoman the day after the attack.

Yeah I remembered that then deleted the post due to being an idiot.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2015, 01:14:05 am »
The uncensored footage of the police raid on the kosher market terrorist is here. I don't think anyone's taken that many bullets since Bonnie & Clyde. Or maybe the last time someone pulled out a wallet too quickly on an American cop.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2015, 09:26:12 am »
The uncensored footage of the police raid on the kosher market terrorist is here. I don't think anyone's taken that many bullets since Bonnie & Clyde. Or maybe the last time someone pulled out a wallet too quickly on an American cop.

That was... interesting. I wonder if the gunman expected to take out several officers and escape unscathed, or if he just realized he was doomed. He sure as fuck didn't get far, though.

I'm thankful more hostages weren't harmed, at least. Some of them were even able to hide and help officers.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2015/01/09/376052770/the-latest-on-paris-attack-police-appear-to-close-in-on-two-suspects
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2015, 01:13:05 pm »

That was... interesting. I wonder if the gunman expected to take out several officers and escape unscathed, or if he just realized he was doomed. He sure as fuck didn't get far, though.

It's unclear exactly how trained he was. I did some research on Amedy Coulibaly, the hostage taker, and found that he was little more than a typical criminal personality. Psychopathic, childish, egotistic, and lacked introspection or morality while desiring to be "all-powerful". On the other hand, the Kouachi brothers who committed the Charlie Hebdo attack demonstrated decent accuracy and had a fairly high body count between them. The Kouachi brothers and Coulibaly also had history, as did their wives, so I'm guessing the Kouachis were a bit better trained than him and possibly helped him get his rifle and load-bearing gear (I unfortunately can't identify the chest rig/body armor in the photos released of his body, so I can't guess at its origin).

Since he was running out his hands over his head rather than firing at the officers and had recently been subjected to explosives, I think he may have panicked after taking the first bullets and attempted to blindly flee out the door.

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2015, 05:16:29 pm »
It's odd the gunmen didn't just kill themselves afterwards (or went out in a "blaze of glory" with the cops) .

I imagine that's gonna be one of the big talking points in the "FFFFFFFAAAAALLLLLLLZZZE FLAAAAG!!!!!111!!!" Shit.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2015, 02:45:04 am »
It's odd the gunmen didn't just kill themselves afterwards (or went out in a "blaze of glory" with the cops) .

I imagine that's gonna be one of the big talking points in the "FFFFFFFAAAAALLLLLLLZZZE FLAAAAG!!!!!111!!!" Shit.

From what I understand, all three gunmen died fighting. Though we do know for a fact that Coulibaly made a suicidal charge right past two lines of cops and got riddled with an obscene amount of bullets for it, it's unclear exactly what his motivation was for running like that.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #51 on: January 12, 2015, 06:28:36 am »
Here is a French view on the "racism" in Charlie http://67-tardis-street.tumblr.com/post/107589955860/dear-us-followers
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #52 on: January 12, 2015, 09:38:57 am »
Here is a French view on the "racism" in Charlie http://67-tardis-street.tumblr.com/post/107589955860/dear-us-followers

that's what i tried to tell you, but way worse worded than this. what's more, i had a bad case of the angries when i wrote it. thanks for bringing up that awesome post, askold. it really gets the point across.
@ guizonde: I think I like the way you think.
Warning: Biohazardously Awesome

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #53 on: January 12, 2015, 01:14:44 pm »
It's also why I posted that old 2008 New Yorker cover cartoon of the Obamas portrayed as terrorists. That cartoon also was mocking the right wingnut bullshit being spewed all over the place during the election campaign.

It's easy for a US citizen to get that sarcasm was what the cartoon intended (well, presuming they are not a moron wing nut), because it was on the cover of the freaking New Yorker - a very old, well-known liberal/literati magazine.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline WatermelonRat

• Apprentice
« Reply #54 on: January 12, 2015, 09:05:15 pm »
Here is the cover of Charlie Hebdo's first issue after the attack:
(click to show/hide)
"All is forgiven"

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #55 on: January 13, 2015, 05:10:38 pm »
And I do believe they've just earned themselves buckets of respect.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #56 on: January 13, 2015, 11:41:20 pm »
Here's a Cracked article I happened to stumble on to today. It highlights some of the reasons we should mock the kind of people who are behind attacks like this as opposed to letting them terrorize us.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/4-reasons-we-need-to-start-making-fun-terrorists/

Also a similar article which I was linked to by the former article. This time from The Atlantic.

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2010/07/the-case-for-calling-them-nitwits/308130/

The first article mentions how one guy's "great plan" was to attach a bunch of swords to a tractor or other farm vehicles. Seriously. Apparently Bin Laden rejected it, because it was too barbaric, not because it was so fucking stupid. Are you all getting the ridiculous mental image of this? A guy riding on an old tractor with a bunch of cheap "mall ninja" swords duct taped to it. The guy's got a fist in the air screaming... as the tractor slowly putters along.
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #57 on: January 14, 2015, 01:31:02 am »
Here's a Cracked article I happened to stumble on to today. It highlights some of the reasons we should mock the kind of people who are behind attacks like this as opposed to letting them terrorize us.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/4-reasons-we-need-to-start-making-fun-terrorists/

Also a similar article which I was linked to by the former article. This time from The Atlantic.

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2010/07/the-case-for-calling-them-nitwits/308130/

The first article mentions how one guy's "great plan" was to attach a bunch of swords to a tractor or other farm vehicles. Seriously. Apparently Bin Laden rejected it, because it was too barbaric, not because it was so fucking stupid. Are you all getting the ridiculous mental image of this? A guy riding on an old tractor with a bunch of cheap "mall ninja" swords duct taped to it. The guy's got a fist in the air screaming... as the tractor slowly putters along.

I remember reading that Cracked article. Great one, by the way.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel