Author Topic: 11 year old attempts suicide after being bullied for liking MLP  (Read 9063 times)

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
11 year old attempts suicide after being bullied for liking MLP
« on: January 28, 2014, 12:01:30 am »
http://thedailyoat.com/2014/01/27/donations-requested-for-michael-morones-fund/
There’s been some terrible news regarding a young fan of the show. Michael Morones, an 11 year old Brony from North Carolina, recently attempted to take his own life last week after being harassed and bullied for being a fan of My Little Pony. Although he is in hospital at the moment, he may suffer permanent brain damage in the future – if he recovers at all.

Just... fucking wow.  If anyone ever tells you that bullying is harmless, slap them with reality, please.  It's that mentality that leads to shit like this.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Alehksunos

• Transvestite Boo-kin
  • The Beast
  • Gay Witch for Abortion
Re: 11 year old attempts suicide after being bullied for liking MLP
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 12:15:16 am »
Of all people he could be referred to as, why a "Brony" and not a just fan of My Little Pony?

Also, anyone who says "serves him right", just because most male fans of the show are scum, allow me to punch you out... in the balls.

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 12:18:20 am »
Also, anyone who says "serves him right", just because most male fans of the show are scum, allow me to punch you out... in the balls.

He's a 11. Anyone who expects him to answer for what adult fans do is a psychopath.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 12:20:30 am »
Sad part is I can see the bronies thinking the kid deserved it as no one other then adult men should like the show

Offline Alehksunos

• Transvestite Boo-kin
  • The Beast
  • Gay Witch for Abortion
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2014, 12:28:00 am »
I have a feeling I would have loved this show back when I was 14, and back then I was in love with shows like Camp Laszlo (if only because of the involvement of Joe Murray, who brought the world Rocko's Modern Life, and what a gift to the world that was and in retrospective what a disappointment the former is in comparison to Rocko) and Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends (another project with Lauren's Faust's involvement, although minimal). I also remember the time people in one forum teased me because I liked those shows back in 2006.

And then there are Bronies, who want the whole show for themselves and me, if I were there, I would've been all crushed because they think I'm just some "twinkie". Ignoring the fact that I was an asshole like them back in 2006, with the whole Sonic/Amy vs. Sonic/Sally debacle, let alone a dick to non-shippers. And even so...

(and even so too, I would not have been keen on its shipping community, as I was also both anti-yaoi and anti-yuri then.)

Offline Captain Jack Harkness

• Petter, Brony, and All-Around Cartoon Addict
  • The Beast
  • Or as a friend calls him, Captain Jack Hotness!
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2014, 12:30:07 am »
First of all, this sucks.  Secondly, let's please not let this devolve into some kind of "bash bronies" or brony drama thread.  Seriously, the first three four replies have kinda been a bit on the flamebait side.  More specifically at Alehksunos, I'd appreciate it if you'd not use this as another opportunity/excuse to shit all over bronies.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 12:31:41 am by Captain Jack Harkness »
My friend's blog.  Check it out!

I blame/credit The Doctor with inspiring my name change.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2014, 12:32:07 am »
Sad part is I can see the bronies thinking the kid deserved it as no one other then adult men should like the show

The vast majority of bronies that I have seen are absolutely sympathetic for this kid.

Quite a few of them are taking the opportunity to lament anti-brony sentiments as a whole.  Make of that what you will.

I haven't seen a single person say he deserved it yet.  But then I haven't gone looking.

Regardless, this isn't about bronies or anti-bronies, this is about a kid who was bullied into committing suicide and may end up permanently brain damaged because of it.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2014, 12:33:33 am »
sorry didnt know
i got to really clarify definitons of brony
hides

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2014, 12:35:29 am »
Eh, problem is, you can't really distinguish between the bad bronies or the good bronies in casual dialogue without othering one or the other.

Radbrons, maybe?

Regardless, no harm done, kefka.

Offline solar.

• God
  • Bepis
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2014, 12:59:03 am »
MLP fans can be annoying, but nobody deserves to be bullied. And as far as I'm concerned, bullying somebody until they commit suicide is cold-blooded murder, and the little shits who bullied this poor kid deserve to be treated as such.

Offline syaoranvee

• The Beast
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2014, 01:04:18 am »
Here's another link from EqD about the story.

Only negative thing I've encountered were some people believing this could be a scam and wanting nothing to do with it, although according to this link the story has been confirmed at this time.

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2014, 01:48:59 am »
There is a segment of the brony community that frankly scares me.

However, at age 11, kids shows are just kids shows. It might be aimed at teenage girls, but I can easily see all teenagers enjoying it because most of the show deals with teenage related problems. I expect the show to be quite popular across the board for that age range.

Then again, bullies would probably have bullied this kid regardless, My little pony was just an excuse.

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2014, 01:56:47 am »
They could have also been thinking he was one of dem " faggot queers" or something.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2014, 01:58:27 am »
Yep.  Homophobia harms more than just gay people.

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2014, 04:11:52 pm »
Little kids really can be the fucking worst, but they don't just get that way themselves, I'm absolutely certain their parents are fucking horrible as well.