Author Topic: Should the USA be balkanized?  (Read 13200 times)

Offline Cataclysm

• The Beast
Should the USA be balkanized?
« on: February 22, 2012, 11:58:40 pm »
Let's face it. We have over 300 million people spread through a great terrain. We are extremely diverse in our needs, beliefs, and values. Many states can't have a certain amount of representatives because they are too big, and many states

So, why the heck not?

Here's my plan. I'm not a geographer, so my opinion probably isn't worth much.

Yeah, I know the names stink, but that's not important.

NNE is made up of many northern states. They tend to have large populations in cities, great businesses, and are considered progressive.

Dixieland is in the south, and they have a similar culture.

Virginia and NC are part of Atlantica instead of Dixieland because they have been influenced by Maryland. Florida shouldn't. It's possible to include Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands.

America Occidental was a bit tricky because Utah and Arizona were very conservative, while California and Nevada were liberal and Colorado and New Mexico are somewhat moderate. However, I'm not going to lump my state with Utah and Arizona without California, so it stays that way.

Heartland is where the plains are, and there are a few big cities, and is mainly focused on natural resources and agriculture.

NPU is generally liberal, with Idaho having more liberal cities. Montana, Alaska and Wyoming are more conservative, but they fit in.

Anyways, I think this will solve a lot of problems and we'll have a government that gets things done, even though this scenario is impossible.

Other ideas are: Put Oklahoma into Heartland, Get rid of Atlantica, make the states (except Maryland, Florida, and Delaware) into Dixieland, make Texas its own country, Put Minnesota, Iowa, and Missouri into NNE, not care about state borders, and a zillion other things.

EDIT: I'll keep updating.

Yeah, América Occidental would likely include the other territories in the pacific.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 11:33:25 pm by Lexikon »
I'd be more sympathetic if people here didn't act like they knew what they were saying when they were saying something very much wrong.

Commenter Brendan Rizzo is an American (still living there) who really, really hates America. He used to make posts defending his country from anti-American attacks but got fed up with it all.

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
Re: Should the USA be balkanized?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 12:11:49 am »
Why did you make Olympia the capital of the NPU? Seattle is much more notable.

Also, seeing as Alaska is really fuckin' huge, it should probably be its own country. It's not split into counties like other states, but boroughs (similar to NYC).
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline Cataclysm

• The Beast
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 12:13:20 am »
Olympia is the capital of Washington.

Alaska has a population of 723,000
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 12:15:26 am by Lexikon »
I'd be more sympathetic if people here didn't act like they knew what they were saying when they were saying something very much wrong.

Commenter Brendan Rizzo is an American (still living there) who really, really hates America. He used to make posts defending his country from anti-American attacks but got fed up with it all.

Offline Da Rat Bastid

• Pope
  • Takes what he can, while he can.
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 12:20:57 am »
Why not, indeed? *smiles and shrugs* I like the NPU layout.  If only L would just get herself used to a little bit of cold weather now and then, she and all her lovers could move out here and become NPU citizens, living rather happily with me. :)  I agree with Wytch, though.  Seattle would be a better choice for the capital city.

Atlantica shouldn't be eliminated, though.  It's too distinct from both NNE and Dixieland.

Nothing wrong with making Texas its own separate nation.  After all, it did join the current union as such. :)
The other Dixielanders might object to not gaining such a politically important piece of land, though.  Might be interesting to watch another civil war break out between Texas and the rest of Dixie.

America Occidental would have to also include the two territories you didn't mention: Samoa, and Guam.  (Where the hell else would they go?)

I'll get back to you on this as I ponder the question further.

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 12:22:39 am »
Also, seeing as Alaska is really fuckin' huge, it should probably be its own country. It's not split into counties like other states, but boroughs (similar to NYC).
I say, we should give it back to the Russians.

Offline Da Rat Bastid

• Pope
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 12:25:25 am »

In exchange for what, pray tell?

Art Vandelay

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 12:28:38 am »
As a non-American westerner who, while feeling very unpatriotic for admitting it, relies on America's hegemony to maintain his own country's rather nice position in the current state of affairs, may I just say that that's a fucking terrible idea?

Furthermore, I think quite a few problems in America would be far better addressed with greater centralisation rather than the exact opposite. That way we wouldn't get issues like Texas making Stupidity 101 an integral part of its curriculum and its overall spending power causing textbook publishers to only print The New Stupid-Friendly Edition of textbooks which other, less mouth-breathingly stupid states have no choice but to use.

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2012, 12:38:45 am »

In exchange for what, pray tell?

Nothing in particular, I was just making a reference to how Alaska used to be part of Russia.

Furthermore, I think quite a few problems in America would be far better addressed with greater centralisation rather than the exact opposite. That way we wouldn't get issues like Texas making Stupidity 101 an integral part of its curriculum and its overall spending power causing textbook publishers to only print The New Stupid-Friendly Edition of textbooks which other, less mouth-breathingly stupid states have no choice but to use.

Silly,don't you know BIG gov't is EVIL!! We can't have that...

Offline Cataclysm

• The Beast
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2012, 01:09:32 am »

Centralisation would be a whole lot easier with less diversity  ::)

If Texas and/or Dixieland want to be the posterboys for historical revisionism, I say let them. They aren't in my country yet, and I think different countries would have different ways of addressing education. America shouldn't have to police the world, and I say it shouldn't police itself now.

Furthermore it is hard to centralise such a large population.

Furthermore, what I really want is... decentralisation.

Silly,don't you know BIG gov't is EVIL!! We can't have that...

That's kind of why America can't get things accomplished. Politicians who live in places where people have this attitude can't really do anything to help their state without risking their position.

However, ironically politicians seem to agree on whether to take our rights away (Patriot act, NDAA)

Art Vandelay

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2012, 01:19:47 am »
Centralisation would be a whole lot easier with less diversity  ::)
Simply remove certain responsibilities from state governments and instead have the federal government handle them. It's certainly a lot easier than carving up the US.
If Texas and/or Dixieland want to be the posterboys for historical revisionism, I say let them. They aren't in my country yet, and I think different countries would have different ways of addressing education. America shouldn't have to police the world, and I say it shouldn't police itself now.
I'm not talking about policing the world, just being the world superpower and being allied to my own country. As for morons in the south, well I would say that no, when morons want to be morons, you don't simply humour them, you correct them. The fact that it's on such a large scale is if anything cause for more rather than less concern, considering the damage that can be done by empowering wilfully ignorant dumbfucks.
Furthermore it is hard to centralise such a large population.
In this day and age of instant communication and bloody fast transport, it's easily doable.
Furthermore, what I really want is... decentralisation.
That's rather silly, but it's your opinion.

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2012, 01:33:37 am »
I'll support this if you carve me out a moderately sized kingdom to reign over.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2012, 02:07:38 am »
I am with Art Vandelay on this one. America really needs to be more centralized. The whole states can have completely screwed up and different laws from each other while trying to be a unified country just does not work. The Federal government needs to step up and hammer out the laws. This will solve so many of the current political and legal issues it will be unbelievable. Similarly the federal government can then set up proper standards for all public services.

Of course the reason the Americans don't want this is the whole big government is bad lie. If the federal government actually took control of the whole state legal issue, the people from mini theocratic crazy-lands wont be able to get away with the kind of middle ages repression they currently do.

Offline Da Rat Bastid

• Pope
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2012, 02:59:33 am »
Bah!  Leave it to Federalists to screw with a perfectly good thought-experiement.  Thanks a LOT, Art. ::)

Art Vandelay

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2012, 03:02:34 am »
What? I thought about it just as much as the next guy. Just because I reached the conclusion that it's rubbish doesn't mean I cocked it up now does it?

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2012, 03:10:32 am »
Which country is less diverse than the US?
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR