Author Topic: Protesters Lockdown Evergreen State College, Situation Spirals Out of Control  (Read 3248 times)

Offline Kanzenkankaku

• The Beast
  • Dreamer/Lightner
    • Mastadon Account
So the past month or so a shit show has been going on for a month or so in a small liberal college called Evergreen State, which is in Olympia, Washington.

The basic gist of things is that there's a designated protest day called "Day of Absence/Day of Presence" that takes place in April, and normally PoC and other disadvantaged students get to go to Activism Workshops for a day instead of attending classes. It was always an optional thing. This year however it was different and all white students & faculty were asked to stay home for the day.

One professor objected to this because he felt the new way the day was set up would make Racism worse instead of better. He has staunchly held to his position that discrimination based on race is wrong. For this, the students have argued that he is actually a racist and a few weeks ago or so interrupted his Biology class to demand his resignation.

Since then he's been interviewed in the media and posted an op-ed in the Wall Street Journal, which I have linked down below with the rest of the sources on this.

The harassment didn't end with the confrontation in the hallway though, and several "activists" have apparently begun to disseminate Dox of students who decided to support their professor in his stance. And Prof. Weinstein has had to hold classes off-campus in public parks because the city police have determined that it is not safe for him to stay on campus.

Weinstein was supposed to be back on campus doing his job today, and then an unrelated shooting threat came from off-campus and shut down the school for a day.

In a funny twist however, the students give more reason for people to disregard them even more by trying to claim that the video recordings of their actions that are spreading across social media as being "stolen" by "White Supremacists", because people started to re-upload it with commentary condemning them.

So on top of being threatening, and attempting to dox and slander people; these "activists" don't know how the internet works either and are in for a Streisand Effect.

Sources:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCZNCmMFwcI (video of confrontation)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bO1agIlLlhg (video of Protests)

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/may/25/evergreen-state-students-demand-professor-resign-f/

http://www.king5.com/news/local/olympia/professor-told-hes-not-safe-on-campus-after-college-protests/443098670

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/may/29/evergreen-state-college-president-expresses-gratit/

https://twitter.com/BretWeinstein/status/867639057819369472?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.thecollegefix.com%2Fpost%2F32813%2F

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-campus-mob-came-for-meand-you-professor-could-be-next-1496187482

http://www.theolympian.com/news/local/education/article152491379.html

http://www.afropunk.com/profiles/blogs/urgent-olympia-wa-students-reportedly-attacked-by-police-for

https://www.thecollegefix.com/post/32824/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/grade-point/wp/2017/06/01/threats-shut-down-college-embroiled-in-racial-dispute/

------------------------
Oh, and some other Evergreen students physically assaulted a couple of other students. Sure, these two with the chalk could be argued as acting like shitheads, that doesn't justify what these students did to them in the below video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-SPKdLZBs0
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 03:51:46 pm by Kanzenkankaku »

Art Vandelay

You guys really need to fix your education system. When you've got, err, some unknown entity telling people not to show up based on race in the name of anti-racism, and a bunch of students who have delusions of being the Vanguard of the Glorious Revolution trying to enforce it through violence, you know something is very very wrong.

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
Streisand effect

ETA: The shooter does not appear to be associated with the university, as Kanzen said the title and the OP. The Olympian reported that the shooter who called in the threat to police said:

Quote from: shooter that sounds eerily like a basement-dwelling, internet-frog lover
Yes, I’m on my way to Evergreen University now with a .44 Magnum. I am gonna execute as many people on that campus as I can get a hold of. You have that? What’s going on there? You communist, scumbag town. I’m going to murder as many people on that campus as I can. Just keep your eyes open, you scumbag.”

Reading what the shooter said, it appears that he is not associated with the campus (says he's traveling to Evergreen, refers to it as "that campus" twice, calls Olympia a "scumbag town," says he will kill as many people as he can or can get ahold of which implies anger at students, and he throws out communist as an insult). In fact, he flat-out states that he is traveling to the campus to shoot up "scumbags" and "communists," which implies to me that he heard about the Evergreen protests on Breitbart or Fox news. This lockdown appears to be caused not by protesters, but by a person upset about the protests. Doesn't really surprise me as the alt-right is angry and easily "triggered," to borrow their terminology.

Now, it is theoretically possible that a protester called this in as a "false-flag," but there is nothing supporting that conclusion at the moment and it relies on rank speculation. So, I must ask, at this point, why did Kanzen ignore critical parts of the story to tell us:

Weinstein was supposed to be back on campus doing his job today, and this lead to violent threats from the protesters that have caused the College to close all day. This has crossed the line, this isn't activism or protesting now, this is bullying, intimidation and bordering on terrorism.

Because this is the fifth or sixth time that you have set off my bullshit detector, Kanzen.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 06:54:16 pm by The_Queen »
Does anyone take Donald Trump seriously, anymore?

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
I've been following this story, it's so goddamn funny how they want the videos to get taken down.

They know how bad they look, they know that even if the videos were not "edited by a white supremacist" theyd still look terrible.
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
...if this keeps up, there will be even more "New member X is secretly Ultimate Whatever" shit going on. And that got irritating when it happened last time.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline Kanzenkankaku

• The Beast
  • Dreamer/Lightner
    • Mastadon Account
Streisand effect

ETA: The shooter does not appear to be associated with the university, as Kanzen said the title and the OP. The Olympian reported that the shooter who called in the threat to police said:

Quote from: shooter that sounds eerily like a basement-dwelling, internet-frog lover
Yes, I’m on my way to Evergreen University now with a .44 Magnum. I am gonna execute as many people on that campus as I can get a hold of. You have that? What’s going on there? You communist, scumbag town. I’m going to murder as many people on that campus as I can. Just keep your eyes open, you scumbag.”

Reading what the shooter said, it appears that he is not associated with the campus (says he's traveling to Evergreen, refers to it as "that campus" twice, calls Olympia a "scumbag town," says he will kill as many people as he can or can get ahold of which implies anger at students, and he throws out communist as an insult). In fact, he flat-out states that he is traveling to the campus to shoot up "scumbags" and "communists," which implies to me that he heard about the Evergreen protests on Breitbart or Fox news. This lockdown appears to be caused not by protesters, but by a person upset about the protests. Doesn't really surprise me as the alt-right is angry and easily "triggered," to borrow their terminology.

Now, it is theoretically possible that a protester called this in as a "false-flag," but there is nothing supporting that conclusion at the moment and it relies on rank speculation. So, I must ask, at this point, why did Kanzen ignore critical parts of the story to tell us:

Weinstein was supposed to be back on campus doing his job today, and this lead to violent threats from the protesters that have caused the College to close all day. This has crossed the line, this isn't activism or protesting now, this is bullying, intimidation and bordering on terrorism.

Because this is the fifth or sixth time that you have set off my bullshit detector, Kanzen.

Huh, well that was a plot twist I wasn't expecting. When I first heard the threats were called in they weren't saying who did it and I guess I just assumed that since there had been previous shit that this was from the same group of students.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
Well if you had bothered to actually read the story you'd have known.

Ironbite-buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut that would require effort.

Offline Kanzenkankaku

• The Beast
  • Dreamer/Lightner
    • Mastadon Account
Sorry about that guys. Since the shooting threat wasn't them, theyve still been threatening to dox other students for disagreeing. I will amend the OP to reflect the fact I've made a mistake.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 03:52:35 pm by Kanzenkankaku »

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
Making the distinction in the first place would have been helpful.

General dickbaggery =/= threats of mass murder and armed terror.

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
I do think you're all being a little harsh on Kanzen, though. And I think it's because you're so used to Ultimate Paragon, who could take abuse like a granite rock.
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
Much like granite, he was poorly suited for his designed purpose and required constant maintenance to keep from getting full of bacteria.  Also, quite porous.

Granite sucks.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
He didn't "take" criticism.  He ignored it if he had no good reply and if he did reply it was more often than not "no you" or some attempt to sidestep it.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
...if this keeps up, there will be even more "New member X is secretly Ultimate Whatever" shit going on. And that got irritating when it happened last time.

No, I'm not saying Kanzen is Dynamic Paragon.* Instead, it is more eyebrow raising position that Kanzen takes, coupled with an evidentiary double-standard. For example, despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary, Kanzen did not believe that Russia interfered in our election, Wikileaks worked with Russia, pro-Donald Reddits doxed people, among other things I can't recall off the top of my head. And this is ignoring the many questionable pro-alt-right posts Kanzen made. Then, in spite of this more-than-healthy skepticism, Kanzen is more than content to completely make up a substantial portion of this story (i.e. "silly social justice warriors commit terror" in her words vs. "silly social justice warriors are targets of a potential mass-shooting"). The more I see from Kanzen, the less I feel there is any interest in good-faithed debate.

*I do not think Kanzen is Paragon. Now, to be entirely honest, when I see Kanzen's posts, much like Paragon's, I don't belief there is a commitment to debate in good-faith. Also, just to say, the use of "streisand effect" was about as subtle as a roundhouse kick to the face. That said, I don't think Kanzen is Paragon because I see enough differences in their posting styles to make me believe they're different people. True, more posts may change my mind on this, but for now I am more than comfortable saying I don't think they're the same. I will also add that it was posting styles that tipped me off that Wrightway was Chi Shiro and that Ultimate Paragon was Dynamic Dragon (a full two years before the mods came to a similar conclusion, I should add).
Does anyone take Donald Trump seriously, anymore?

Offline Kanzenkankaku

• The Beast
  • Dreamer/Lightner
    • Mastadon Account

No, I'm not saying Kanzen is Dynamic Paragon.* Instead, it is more eyebrow raising position that Kanzen takes, coupled with an evidentiary double-standard. For example, despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary, Kanzen did not believe that Russia interfered in our election, Wikileaks worked with Russia, pro-Donald Reddits doxed people, among other things I can't recall off the top of my head. And this is ignoring the many questionable pro-alt-right posts Kanzen made. Then, in spite of this more-than-healthy skepticism, Kanzen is more than content to completely make up a substantial portion of this story (i.e. "silly social justice warriors commit terror" in her words vs. "silly social justice warriors are targets of a potential mass-shooting"). The more I see from Kanzen, the less I feel there is any interest in good-faithed debate.

*I do not think Kanzen is Paragon. Now, to be entirely honest, when I see Kanzen's posts, much like Paragon's, I don't belief there is a commitment to debate in good-faith. Also, just to say, the use of "streisand effect" was about as subtle as a roundhouse kick to the face. That said, I don't think Kanzen is Paragon because I see enough differences in their posting styles to make me believe they're different people. True, more posts may change my mind on this, but for now I am more than comfortable saying I don't think they're the same. I will also add that it was posting styles that tipped me off that Wrightway was Chi Shiro and that Ultimate Paragon was Dynamic Dragon (a full two years before the mods came to a similar conclusion, I should add).

I think you're completely misrepresenting me, I have never posted anything that was pro-altright.

I've owned up to not reading this story correctly, amended my mistake in this thread. There is evidence that Russia took measures to influence our elections much like we've influenced other nations for our own interests, and it was a dick move (look what we wound up with.) I'm just not entirely convinced that WikiLeaks was ON PURPOSE a part of it.

I never payed attention to the Donald reddit, so I knew nothing about them other than they were pro-Trump and on reddit. It was a simple question and I got the answer I was looking for. And the Streisand Effect is a common phrase, I've heard it from my father, several TV commentators, etc. So I have no clue how there is any problem with that.

It really seems like you are the one that isn't interested in discussion if this is what you think of me. You're accusation that I'm a secret alt-righter or being dishonest is flimsy and based on shit I've either already apologized for or owned up to or a very minor disagreement.