Author Topic: Creationism apologist Ray Comfort stumped  (Read 8800 times)

Offline one-shot

• Bishop
  • Zen is...
Creationism apologist Ray Comfort stumped
« on: February 20, 2012, 10:26:36 pm »
This is an hour long, but it's worth it.  The Atheist Experience debates with Ray Comfort (I'm assuming no introductions are necessary for him), about evolution, and Matt Dillahunty give an allegory to understanding the real concept of evolution, which stumps good ol' Ray.  It's probably not as epic as I think it is, but it's still good nonetheless.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyzF8SMQOxU" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyzF8SMQOxU</a>
All things are no-thing.

Offline Lithp

• Official FSTDT Spokesman
  • The Beast
Re: Creationism apologist Ray Comfort stumped
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 12:07:27 am »
Stumping him is easy.

Getting him to ADMIT he's been stumped is very, very hard.

Also, I'd prefer a short lead-in to the coup de grace. YouTube's still acting funny. Not "ha-ha" funny, either.

Offline one-shot

• Bishop
  • Zen is...
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 12:11:17 am »
Yeah, I've noticed that about Youtube recently.  But you're right, it should be obvious to anyone that Ray is a moron, even to himself.  I don't understand wanting to live in that kind of ignorance.  And I've been there before, I think most people here have been at some point.  At least we were lucky enough to get out of it.
All things are no-thing.

Offline Lithp

• The Beast
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 12:14:52 am »
YouTube has been shutting down your computer?

Do you know how the whole banana fiasco resolved itself?

Offline one-shot

• Bishop
  • Zen is...
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 12:16:39 am »
Youtube is always having tech farts on my computer.  No idea about the banana thing though.  I'd be interested to find out.
All things are no-thing.

Offline Lithp

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 12:27:37 am »
Interesting, we both have that issue. Do you use IE too?

Ray "Bananaman" Comfort once went on a lengthy explanation proclaiming that the banana was proof of intelligent design by a loving God. He cited that it fit well in the hand, it was easy to peel, it tasted good, it fit in the mouth, it didn't have seeds, & that the peel protected it from pests.

Of course, the usual arguments were mounted. This ignored things that were difficult to eat, inedible, or even deadly; this was not proof of design; fruits are a seed dispersal strategy; it sounded suspiciously like he was describing a penis; etc.

Then some people started coming forward with articles about the history of the banana. As it turns out, the modern dessert banana was specifically cultivated by humans to have all of that. Wild bananas are frankly like eating cotton plants. It was a wonderful example all right--of a real-world experiment into the evolution of a plant.

Well, without skipping a beat, Bananaman declared that he never actually said the banana was designed by God (he totally did), & that this only proved his original point (bullshit goal post shift), that the banana HAD to be designed, because the banana WAS designed. He also said that God probably inspired it. And then went right back to knocking down the "lol sounds liek a dick" comments.

Offline one-shot

• Bishop
  • Zen is...
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 12:31:54 am »
I don't use IE, I used Firefox for a long time, and switched over to Chrome a few weeks ago.  But it's not just Youtube I sometimes have trouble with.  It's any video.  I have problems with Hulu, and anything else video-related.  But it's not all of the time, just sometimes. 

Anyway, I think I do remember reading about the banana incident now.  I don't think Ray ever did come clean about what he actually said, and, as can be expected, never changed his views.  One good thing came of it though, I bet he got lots of exercise with all that back-pedaling he had to do.
All things are no-thing.

Offline Lithp

• The Beast
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2012, 12:37:27 am »
Also sex therapy, with the banana as a stand-in.

I asked because I was wondering if my video problems were related to that (as everyone keeps insisting), or if they might be from something else. I tend to have problems with all video sources, but mah damn animes have improved somewhat, as of late.

Offline one-shot

• Bishop
  • Zen is...
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2012, 12:39:54 am »
I'm not sure.  I know I had problems with video on Firefox, which is one of the main reasons why I switched to Chrome.  It got better, but it's still not great.  But it doesn't screw up as much.  I know, as far as web browsers go, IE is one of my least favorites, and I hear nothing but bad reviews about it.  That's something I would try first, switch web browsers. 
All things are no-thing.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2012, 02:45:29 am »
Regarding the YT problems, try right clicking on the video, and when the flash options come up, disable hardware acceleration.  I haven't had a problem since, barring the usual strain on the servers when there's lots of folks on.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2012, 03:30:38 am »
Regarding the Banana fiasco, didn't Ray later say that God gave humans the technology to make dogs smaller so they could fit into cars?
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline Lithp

• The Beast
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2012, 07:51:10 am »
If he did, that's mighty stupid, on any number of levels.

What does hardware acceleration even do?

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2012, 02:47:11 pm »
What does hardware acceleration even do?

It amps up your computer's video card and other hardware to run things faster and smoother, usually.

YT, in my case, was working my card to death to the point of overheating.  I disabled the acceleration, haven't had a problem since.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Caitshidhe

• The Keeper of the Kupos
  • The Beast
    • Axiom Speaks
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2012, 08:45:42 pm »
To pick a small, small part out of this entire steaming pile of poop----why do Born-Agains (Christians in general, I guess, but I see it more in Born-Again varieties) always seem to know the exact time and date they 'Came to Christ'? Ray says he 'was saved' on April first 1976 at 1.30 in the morning? What point is there knowing such an exact thing? I don't remember the exact time and date I realized I was bisexual or an atheist. Does that make me somehow not an atheist or not bisexual or something?

Can any former fundies here explain??
'The idea that things must have a beginning is really due to the poverty of our imaginations.' -- Bertrand Russel

Offline one-shot

• Bishop
  • Zen is...
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2012, 09:57:05 pm »
To pick a small, small part out of this entire steaming pile of poop----why do Born-Agains (Christians in general, I guess, but I see it more in Born-Again varieties) always seem to know the exact time and date they 'Came to Christ'? Ray says he 'was saved' on April first 1976 at 1.30 in the morning? What point is there knowing such an exact thing? I don't remember the exact time and date I realized I was bisexual or an atheist. Does that make me somehow not an atheist or not bisexual or something?

Can any former fundies here explain??

I don't know.  When I was an evangelical xtian, I couldn't tell you the WEEK I was "saved", much less the day or time.  And I've only been a Buddhist for about a year, and I can't even tell you exactly when that really happened.  I'm not even sure I could give a ballpark answer.
All things are no-thing.