Author Topic: Xbox One  (Read 27051 times)

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
Re: Xbox One
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2013, 04:47:04 am »
On a different note, is it just me or is the X-box One massive and very ugly?  I know those things don't really matter but it's an added bonus when my electronic devices don't make me wish I was blind.

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2013, 06:00:31 am »
Why the hell did they call it the Xbox One?

Art Vandelay

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2013, 06:07:14 am »
There does seem to be a fad of naming sequels in a way that easily confuses them for the original. See the movies "Rock Balboa" and "John Rambo", or the most recent Tomb Raider named "Tomb Raider" as perfect examples.

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2013, 11:28:14 am »
There does seem to be a fad of naming sequels in a way that easily confuses them for the original. See the movies "Rock Balboa" and "John Rambo", or the most recent Tomb Raider named "Tomb Raider" as perfect examples.

Part of me hopes devs will take to putting "one" at the end of game titles (like they did with the N64, everything was [Whatever] 64).  It could make sequal titles interesting.  Especially if Square Enix do it with their final fantasy series.  Imagine the potential double sequal titles down the line -  Final Fantasy One XIII-2.  It would be gloriously stupid.

Distind

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2013, 11:36:30 am »
To give it the excellent nick name "XBone". Which comes out about half an inch ahead of my prefered XBro, after what the launch titles all appear to be.

But yeah, looks like crap, has DRM that could potentially be hellish(Guys, do yourselves a favor and announce it's like a 5 dollar charge to re-license a game(and that game is removed from the original owner's library)), nothing terribly interesting setup for it, and I have a remote for my TV already. Plus my remote controls my PS3. Which is nifty.

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2013, 11:45:44 am »
To give it the excellent nick name "XBone". Which comes out about half an inch ahead of my prefered XBro, after what the launch titles all appear to be.

But yeah, looks like crap, has DRM that could potentially be hellish(Guys, do yourselves a favor and announce it's like a 5 dollar charge to re-license a game(and that game is removed from the original owner's library)), nothing terribly interesting setup for it, and I have a remote for my TV already. Plus my remote controls my PS3. Which is nifty.

I'll quote again the Blistered Thumbs article:

"An official Xbox Support Twitter account explains that there will be “no fees” for using pre-owned titles on your next-generation console""

But for me I need to see the games.  To be brutally honest that's all I'm really interested in.  If it has awesome games I'm interested in I might overlook some of the mildly annoying DRM balls as most of it probably won't affect me that much as it seems to mostly relate to things I never did anyway (but I acknolwedge it looks like it's going to suck for a lot of people,  like if you're a soldier on deployment or something so you don't have a net connection but you want to play One games) and it's hideous looks. If not then I won't, and I won't buy it.  But if the PS4 doesn't have enough games that grab my attention then I won't be buying that either. I won't spend money on it just to teach MS a lesson about things which only annoy me slightly.

And as I said, MS seems to be confused themslves about how any of this DRM shit will actually work, so as I said before I think we wait need to wait and see before judging how much bollocks it is.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 11:50:09 am by Katsuro »

Distind

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2013, 11:49:32 am »
Honestly I'm about there too, I don't play enough games to particularly care about the used bit(aside from tracking down old ones) and I just don't see any games or useful features i'm interested in.

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2013, 12:00:14 pm »
Honestly I'm about there too, I don't play enough games to particularly care about the used bit(aside from tracking down old ones) and I just don't see any games or useful features i'm interested in.

Well so far MS has said approximately fuck all about the games.  So far I think these are the only confirmed games but most were confirmed by the devs/publishers not MS:

Assassin's Creed 4 - I'm interested as I rather enjoyed ACII (only one I ever played) and because PIRATES! But it's multiplatform so not enough to convince me to get a One over a PS4.

Battlefield 4 - same as AC4 regarding it being multiplatform. Also I don't know if I still care about BF or not.

Call of Duty: Ghosts - could not give fewer fucks.

Destiny  - know very little about this so far (Bungie is being a bi t tight lipped) but I am interest in this one.  If it's an exclusive and if it turns out to be interesting it could sway me.

FIFA 14 - mulltiplatform again.

Forza Motorsport 5 - big FM fan so yeah, I'm interested.  PS4 will have GT6 but I've started to prefer FM over GT.

Madden 25 - don't care.

NBA Live 14 - don't care.

Quantum Break - no idea what this is or even if it's multi-platform.

Ryse - thnk this is a kinnect game so fuck that noise.

Thief - interested, but again multi-platform.

UFC - don't care.

Watch Dogs - very interest from what little we know about this game so far.  But again it's multiplatform.

And I'll eat my own genitals if Halo 5 doesn't show up on the One.  And whilst Halo is overated I still quite enjoy it.

So that's only 2 definate exclusives that I give a shit about.  It's not really enough so far.  Mind you I haven't seen any PS4 exclusives yet that have made me think, "Oh shit, I need that!".
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 12:08:52 pm by Katsuro »

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2013, 12:07:29 pm »
Indie developers can't self-publish on the Xbox One:

http://www.shacknews.com/article/79309/xbox-one-wont-allow-indies-to-self-publish-games
http://www.polygon.com/2013/5/22/4355306/indie-developers-cannot-self-publish-on-xbox-one

Well aparently when they tried letting indie devs self publish with the current XBL it was a bit of a fucking mess.  Also MS has said some vague stuff about "exploring other new business models" relating to this so it's again another thing about the One MS is giving unclear information about.

Again, I say we need to wait until MS gets their act together and actually makes up their minds on these thigns and tells us clearly how they are all actually going to work.

Offline rtvc2012

• Pope
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2013, 05:57:54 pm »
On a different note, is it just me or is the X-box One massive and very ugly?  I know those things don't really matter but it's an added bonus when my electronic devices don't make me wish I was blind.
Agreed.  Despite what others say, I like the UFO/George Forman design of the original PS3.  It looks like a natural evolutionary step up from the PS2 (and I wish the PS3 slim I have looked as cool as the original).  And hell, at least the original Xbox had the green eye thingy on top to make it look a bit snazzy.  This thing looks like someone glued a fan onto a black Wii.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 06:03:44 pm by rtvc2012 »

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2013, 06:04:49 pm »
Agreed.  Despite what others say, I like the UFO/George Forman design of the original PS3.  It looks like a natural evolutionary step up from the PS2 (and I wish the PS3 slim I have wasn't as boring looking as the original).  And hell, at least the original Xbox had the green eye thingy on top to make it look a bit snazzy.  This thing looks like someone glued a fan onto a black Wii.

Personally I've hated all of the PS designs, even the PS1.  Well the PS2 slim wasn't too bad.  I think the 1st x-box might be uglier than this one, but that didn't stop me owning one, and I feel largley indifferent towards the 360's looks.

I think the last console I found to be asthetically pleasing was the N64 and I still think that thing looks pretty damn cool.

As I said though it won;t affect my buying decision, it would just be nice if I could stand to look at it.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2013, 07:56:54 pm »
I have nothing to contribute because I don't use consoles, so here's a funny video instead:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOxdMQhDMIU" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOxdMQhDMIU</a>
Σא

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2013, 08:21:00 pm »

Battlefield 4 - same as AC4 regarding it being multiplatform. Also I don't know if I still care about BF or not.

Destiny  - know very little about this so far (Bungie is being a bi t tight lipped) but I am interest in this one.  If it's an exclusive and if it turns out to be interesting it could sway me.

Destiny looks fucking awesome so far, but it's not exclusive.  It will be on Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS3, AND PS4.  Although, if they find a way to use this to do cross-platform multiplayer I have absolutely no problem with that.

And I'm actually looking forward to BF4.  I've only played the last couple Battlefield games, and want to play more.

I'm probably going to wind up getting the Xbox One myself.  I do my gaming about half on my pc and about half on my 360.  Though there are games I do prefer on pc, I still do a shit ton of console gaming, and I like my 360 and I love the controller (it feels like it's actually meant for a fucking human hand!), so most likely I will be purchasing one.  Also thinking about getting one of the new Droid or Steam open-source consoles too.
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2013, 10:50:26 am »
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades