Author Topic: Girl Sells Lemonade For Peace Outside WBC  (Read 2188 times)

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
Girl Sells Lemonade For Peace Outside WBC
« on: June 16, 2013, 03:45:52 am »
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/15/westboro-baptist-church-lemonade_n_3444490.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular

What happens when a little girl decides to set up a lemonade stand for peace outside the Westboro Baptist Church headquarters in Kansas? Members of the community step out in droves to show support, even as the hate group tries to quash it.

Five-year-old Jayden, the daughter of Jon Sink, founder of the philanthropic arts group FRESHCASSETTE - Creative Compassion, decided to set up a stand selling pink lemonade at The Equality House on Friday afternoon. The Equality House is a rainbow-colored building directly across the street from Westboro's Topeka compound. The house, which was painted the colors of the pride flag in March, was bought by Aaron Jackson, one of the founders of Planting Peace, a multi-pronged nonprofit set up in 2004 and aimed at spreading goodwill and equality around the globe.

Jayden, who is from Kansas City, decided to set up her stand at the Equality House after her parents explained to her the significance of its construct. After being told that the church across the street had a message of hate, she set a goal of raising money to go towards a message of love and peace.

So she painted a banner for the event reading, "Pink Lemonade for Peace: $1 Suggested Donation." She put the stand in the grass and waited. But the waiting didn't take long. Supporters came in by the droves and $1 turned into hundreds of dollars.

During the day, Westboro sent representatives outside to try and find a way to stop the event. They apparently attempted to call the local police and stooped to yelling profanities when that didn't work, like calling a group of soldiers who rode out on their motorcycles to suport the event "bastards."

Westboro's hate couldn't stop Jayden. She not only raised $400 during the day on Friday, but she has also collected over $1000 with an online campaign set up through Crowd Rise. Some people donated as little as $10 and as much as $230. One person gave $26 for every person killed six months ago in the Newtown, Conn., massacre.

"As we all know, the Westboro Baptist Church puts a lot of hate into the world," Jackson told HuffPost in an email Friday. "Since we cannot stop them, the next best thing is to smother it with love. That is what 5-year-old Jayden accomplished today! Jayden set up a lemonade stand in front of the church. Not only did she quench the thirst of a lot of loving supporters, the money she raised was donated to Planting Peace so she could help Planting Peace promote a more peaceful world."

“Jayden represents the natural humanity we are born with," Davis Hammet, Director of Operations at Planting Peace, added. "We come into this world compassionate, caring beings and only become hateful if we are taught to be.”

A 5-year-old girl laid the smackdown on the WBC. Awesome.
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
Re: Girl Sells Lemonade For Peace Outside WBC
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2013, 04:27:49 am »
and faith in humanity's back again.  Nice to see stuff like this!
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline anti-nonsense

• Nerdalicious Canadian
  • Pope
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2013, 12:38:21 pm »
What an awesome five year old girl. My only regret is that I could not be there to buy lemonade from that girl.
From international relations to religious rivalries, from marriage to athlete's foot, whatever the problem a fundy's first solution is usually violence.

wrightway

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2013, 01:02:42 pm »
What an awesome little girl. I'd say I can't believe WBC yelled profanities at a child, but I'm honestly not surprised.

Offline R. U. Sirius

• He Who Must Be Smooched By Cute FSTDT Forumgirls
  • The Beast
  • Just look at me. Who could distrust this face?
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2013, 01:03:51 pm »
Show of hands: Who's surprised that a five-year-old showed more compassion and maturity than a bunch of adults?

*crickets*
http://www.gofundme.com/kw5o78
My GoFundMe campaign. Donations are greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/user/RUSirius1/submitted
My Imgur account. Upvotes always appreciated

If you look at it logically, cannibalism has great potential to simultaneously solve our overpopulation and food shortage problems.

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2013, 01:35:50 pm »
I kind of want to show up just to buy lemonade, and I don't even like lemonade.
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2013, 08:15:41 pm »
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2013, 09:31:26 pm »
I wonder what the police dispatcher's reaction was to WBC members calling for the cops to shut down a little girl's lemonade stand because they didn't want her interrupting their hatred.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2013, 09:57:44 pm »
They died from laughter.

Offline MadmanJohnson

• Wrath of Primus
  • Pope
  • Able to creep out Deimos.
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2013, 10:10:29 pm »
Mr Nevershould and I approve!
Before you die an agonizing, chainsaw-related death, you're gonna hear about the Hate Plague!
I'm accusing you of being stupid.
I dare to be stupid.

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2013, 10:47:20 am »
I wonder what the police dispatcher's reaction was to WBC members calling for the cops to shut down a little girl's lemonade stand because they didn't want her interrupting their hatred.

"Are you familiar with public property laws and/or land owner granting permission to use? Additionally, if you find any of her signs or verbal proclamations objectionable I suggest you look up the first amendment and any related decisions handed down by the courts in case you are unfamiliar with the concept of free speech."

followed by:

"All units, please be advised that there is a little girl trolling the WBC in need of assistance. Please proceed to the location as available throughout the day and purchase a glass lemonade."

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2013, 09:35:37 am »
You know, this kinda makes me wish I believed in reincarnation, just because I could see this being Mister Rogers' response to them protesting his funeral. Either way, she's certainly following in his footsteps.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2013, 10:08:18 am »
... They protested MR. ROGER'S funeral!?   He was an ordained minister...  *Facepalms*

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2013, 10:17:49 am »
... They protested MR. ROGER'S funeral!?   He was an ordained minister...  *Facepalms*
Yes, but he also taught children to be happy, accepting, loving and all and kind to all. In fact, if the impossible happens and the Babble is real, the second coming would be indistinguishable from him anyways. He was perhaps the only person to ever follow Jesus' teachings and also be religious.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

wrightway

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2013, 01:54:10 pm »
You know, this kinda makes me wish I believed in reincarnation, just because I could see this being Mister Rogers' response to them protesting his funeral. Either way, she's certainly following in his footsteps.

Maybe it is.