Author Topic: New Fort Hood Shooting  (Read 7846 times)

Offline Zygarde

• Black trans queen of FQA
  • The Beast
  • Fuck trees, I climb clouds, motherfucker!'
    • My YouTube Channel
New Fort Hood Shooting
« on: April 02, 2014, 08:04:32 pm »
So today there was another shooting at Fort Hood, so far only one person has been confirmed dead that being the gunman.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/02/fort-hood-shooting_n_5079690.html#comments

A shooting at Fort Hood on Wednesday left at least one person dead and injured multiple people.

The gunman at the Army post in Texas reportedly died of a self-inflicted wound.

Fourteen people were injured, according to a senior defense official who spoke anonymously to the Associated Press.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
Re: New Fort Hood Shooting
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 08:27:30 pm »
I hope no innocents are dead this time.   :'(

Offline Kat S.

• Pope
  • Repentant sinner, unrepentant knowledge junkie
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 08:38:37 pm »
News agencies are stating that the shooter is dead.  Here is one report.  Pardon my cynicism; I'm glad the shooter is dead.  We don't have to waste money on him.

Edit: New reports state the shooter was male.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 09:30:31 pm by Kat S. »

Offline Damen

• That's COMMODORE SPLATMASTER Damen, Briber of Mods
  • The Beast
  • The Dark Sex God
    • John Damen's Photography
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2014, 12:57:33 am »
They've updated it. Four people dead, not sure if that's including the gunman. At first I thought it was a copycat, but then I saw reports that he was being treated for PTSD.
"Fear my .45"

"If the liberties of the American people are ever destroyed, they will fall by the hands of the clergy" ~ Marquis De Lafayette

'Till Next Time,
~John Damen

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2014, 01:39:21 am »
They've updated it. Four people dead, not sure if that's including the gunman. At first I thought it was a copycat, but then I saw reports that he was being treated for PTSD.
I'm not sure I've heard of PTSD alone causing a killing spree, but I guess there's a first time for everything.

To be honest I'm not even phased anymore, like it's basically just another day another horrific violent mass shooting.

Offline Damen

• That's COMMODORE SPLATMASTER Damen, Briber of Mods
  • The Beast
  • The Dark Sex God
    • John Damen's Photography
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2014, 01:43:42 am »
I'm not sure I've heard of PTSD alone causing a killing spree, but I guess there's a first time for everything.

To be honest I'm not even phased anymore, like it's basically just another day another horrific violent mass shooting.

PTSD in addition to depression and anxiety.
"Fear my .45"

"If the liberties of the American people are ever destroyed, they will fall by the hands of the clergy" ~ Marquis De Lafayette

'Till Next Time,
~John Damen

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2014, 01:47:41 am »

To be honest I'm not even phased anymore, like it's basically just another day another horrific,violent, easily preventable mass shooting.

PTSD in addition to depression and anxiety.
Ahh.

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2014, 02:35:03 am »

PTSD can manifest in many ways. In extremely severe cases it can cause hallucinatory flashbacks where the person suffering from the trauma actively thinks they are reliving it leading to extreme violence. It can also really screw with ones perceptions regarding paranoia and pattern recognition. PTSD is a seriously messed up condition.

That said, in many ways this is just another one of those another day, another mass shooting. Last I checked they happen at least once a month in America, but most are small scale enough to not really be newsworthy. This one probably only made it because of the previous mass shooting that happened there.

To me, the saddest thing here is how America has this huge Soldier hero worship mentality. Constantly going on about "supporting the troops" and "the fight for your freedom so you dont have to", but really they dont. Young men are sent to pointless wars to kill and die for no reason. These wars dont affect any Americans freedom in the slightest, least of all protecting it. Then these broken traumatized people are brought back where they are paraded around and worshiped like hero's, but denied the help they really need.

You want to know what would really "support the troops" and "protect America's freedom"? Not sending soldiers to die in pointless wars, and keeping them at home. Sorry for getting off topic like this, but the military culture of America gets to me sometimes.

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2014, 03:06:42 am »

PTSD can manifest in many ways. In extremely severe cases it can cause hallucinatory flashbacks where the person suffering from the trauma actively thinks they are reliving it leading to extreme violence. It can also really screw with ones perceptions regarding paranoia and pattern recognition. PTSD is a seriously messed up condition.

That said, in many ways this is just another one of those another day, another mass shooting. Last I checked they happen at least once a month in America, but most are small scale enough to not really be newsworthy. This one probably only made it because of the previous mass shooting that happened there.

To me, the saddest thing here is how America has this huge Soldier hero worship mentality. Constantly going on about "supporting the troops" and "the fight for your freedom so you dont have to", but really they dont. Young men are sent to pointless wars to kill and die for no reason. These wars dont affect any Americans freedom in the slightest, least of all protecting it. Then these broken traumatized people are brought back where they are paraded around and worshiped like hero's, but denied the help they really need.

You want to know what would really "support the troops" and "protect America's freedom"? Not sending soldiers to die in pointless wars, and keeping them at home. Sorry for getting off topic like this, but the military culture of America gets to me sometimes.

Patriotic jargon and cliches are cheaper than adequate medical care, and pointless wars are quiet profitable if you're a military contractor.

Offline Kat S.

• Pope
  • Repentant sinner, unrepentant knowledge junkie
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2014, 03:42:29 am »
He suffered from mental health issues...d**n, now I feel bad about the previous post I made.  That's what I get for making presumptuous statements.

As a service member myself, I see and hear a lot of lip service about "Support the Troops" from both sides of the political spectrum. However, I don't see a lot of political commentators, politicians, or lay people actually asking troops what they would like unless, of course, it aligns with their political beliefs.  Otherwise we get ignored.  Sure, you can't always get everything you ask for, but at least asking, listening, and responding to the request, whether yay or nay, helps.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2014, 10:45:16 am »
At least there's no chance of another gun control debate popping out of the woodwork from this.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2014, 11:19:24 am »
At least there's no chance of another gun control debate popping out of the woodwork from this.
Dude.  Priorities.

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2014, 12:00:02 pm »
Sylvana, the support the troops thing came from Veitnam actually. I have nothing published to point to, just what people have told me. In America at the time returning service members, draftees mostly, were treated as responsible for, not responsible for the war per se, but for prolonging an unpopular war.

Support the troops was meant to be support the troops even if the war is unpopular. It was meant to try and shift blame closet to shift blame not on the poor bastard (like me and countless others) in the sand or scruffy mountains but to the jackasses who sent them (us) there.

Veterans are given preference in hiring for federal jobs along with I'm sure some state and local federal positions. And I know for a fact I did get one job mostly because I'm a veteran. Again nothing written written down, but the guy who hired me told me resume got me an interview but my service got me the job. I remember when I first came home the first time I was bought a drink from someone I didn't know, I went to him and thanked him but told him I had my own money and he didn't have to do that. The man told me he wanted to, he was a hippie once upon a time a has been making amends for quite a while for his past behavior.

I agree 110% that we as a nation need to do more than just words, more than a few drinks at a bar now and then. Free or reduced priced QUALITY health care, real transition programs for service members and their families, and even a little more thought into where they get sent would go a lot further. But from an average person, the Thanks For Your Service I'll take. Especially after talking to Vietnam vets in my VFW post.

I'm not saying you're wrong or anything like that. I just wanted to give you some background on the phrase.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2014, 12:16:06 pm »
Dude.  Priorities.

Yeaaaaaah, I gotta echo this one.  Kind of a dick move, dude.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2014, 12:24:41 pm »
Dude.  Priorities.

Yeaaaaaah, I gotta echo this one.  Kind of a dick move, dude.

For being glad that nobody on either side is going to be able to use the death of innocent people as a springboard for their political agenda?

Sure. Dick move.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.