Author Topic: DC redesigned Lobo to Lolbro  (Read 7793 times)

Offline The Illusive Man

• The Beast
  • Saw the ME3 endings, got turned into a husk. :(-
Despite knowing about indoctrination I thought it was a good idea to put a human Reaper near my office. Now I am a sentient husk :(.

*RRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWRRRRRRRRR* *SCREECH* *smokes*

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
Re: DC redesigned Lobo to Lolbro
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2013, 02:58:04 am »
I don't see the problem.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2013, 03:09:34 am »
Well it is a redesign, kinda like when Deadpool went from deadly serious Deathstrike clone into an original and loveable lunatic. Lobo seems to be going in an opposite direction, from a joke character into something more serious.

But that is just what I get from these snippets. Besides if it's just a one shot I don't see what the big deal is anyway. Comic book characters get redesigned all the time, sometimes its just based on writer and sometimes like this they really go wild when they can do an one-shot story.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Art Vandelay

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2013, 03:09:42 am »
I've never even heard of this character before.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2013, 03:29:22 am »

This is part of why I don't see the problem.

New character looks fine.  Trendy haircut, just like the original Lobo.

Seems like "BAWWWW THEY CHANGED THINGS" to me.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Offline Her3tiK

• Suffers in Sanity
  • The Beast
  • Learn to Swim
    • HeretiK Productions
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2013, 08:54:10 am »
It may be the way he's drawn, but it really feels like this rework is a complete ripoff of something else. Can't quite put my finger on what it is, though.
Her3tik, you have groupies.
Ego: +5

There are a number of ways, though my favourite is simply to take them by surprise. They're just walking down the street, minding their own business when suddenly, WHACK! Penis to the face.

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2013, 09:05:29 am »

There are plenty of times where it's perfectly acceptable to be annoyed about a change. In this case, the character looks rather different and that can distort his original image and personality. If it's just a one shot, fine, but I get annoyed that you think it's so unacceptable for people to dislike changes.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2013, 01:01:28 pm »
It may be the way he's drawn, but it really feels like this rework is a complete ripoff of something else. Can't quite put my finger on what it is, though.
At one point Lobo was a Jack Sparrow ripoff... Although more violent.

And there was a legion of Kid-Lobos at one point, but I can't seem to find images of those at the moment.

No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2013, 05:51:34 pm »

There are plenty of times where it's perfectly acceptable to be annoyed about a change. In this case, the character looks rather different and that can distort his original image and personality. If it's just a one shot, fine, but I get annoyed that you think it's so unacceptable for people to dislike changes.

I don't mind that people dislike change.

I mind when they make a big freaking shitstorm over it, like has been happening with everything lately.

Offline Lithp

• Official FSTDT Spokesman
  • The Beast
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2013, 01:08:59 am »
As someone who neither reads nor cares about comics, DC fans have a perfectly legitimate reason to be pissed off. They're doing some kind of canon-wide retcon where they change pretty much everything, & you don't have to look far to see examples of dropped storylines, retarded character derailment, etc. The fact that shit like that can happen at any time is one of the reasons I don't read comics.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2013, 02:41:47 pm »
As someone who neither reads nor cares about comics, DC fans have a perfectly legitimate reason to be pissed off. They're doing some kind of canon-wide retcon where they change pretty much everything, & you don't have to look far to see examples of dropped storylines, retarded character derailment, etc. The fact that shit like that can happen at any time is one of the reasons I don't read comics.

If only it was the constant retcons and reboots that TIM was upset about.  From what I can tell, he seems purely upset because of the character design.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2013, 03:10:30 pm »
From what little I know about Lobo, the character design doesn't seem like it works with the standard conception of the character.
Σא

Offline R. U. Sirius

• He Who Must Be Smooched By Cute FSTDT Forumgirls
  • The Beast
  • Just look at me. Who could distrust this face?
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2013, 10:32:34 pm »
Thought: The original Lobo was a parody of the hyper-masculine nineties antihero. Maybe this Lobo is intended as a parody of the common archetype of an incredibly violent fighter who is somehow a lot smarter and more cultured than their background and attitude would indicate?
http://www.gofundme.com/kw5o78
My GoFundMe campaign. Donations are greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/user/RUSirius1/submitted
My Imgur account. Upvotes always appreciated

If you look at it logically, cannibalism has great potential to simultaneously solve our overpopulation and food shortage problems.

Offline Lithp

• Official FSTDT Spokesman
  • The Beast
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2013, 11:16:48 pm »

If only it was the constant retcons and reboots that TIM was upset about.  From what I can tell, he seems purely upset because of the character design.

You mean a retcon/reboot is irritating him?

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2013, 04:21:19 am »
I rather hope it's how R. U. Sirius suggested. I doubt it, though. The problem is something along the lines as if they made a new Batman who became a killer and crazy. Wait, that's been done, and it turned out to be one of the worst decisions they made. How about if Spider-Man sold his decades-long marriage to the Devil? Wait. Marvel did that, and it was one of the worst decisions they ever made. What if DC introduced a previously cartoon-only, extremely popular character into the comics, only to kill her in the same storyline. Ohhhh wait. They did that too, and pissed people off. What if they made a campy Batman movie as a sequel to the Burton ones, and then made an even worse, campier sequel, with a BAT CREDIT CARD. Wait.... fuck. Turned an awesome character who was a hero, was at one point Batgirl, and was raised to be evil but became good, into a stereotypical dragon lady villain? Goddammit. Retconned out the first canon Female Robin? Fuckshit. Okay, nobody would be stupid enough to kill Batman, have him replaced by Dick, and Robin unfairly replaced with Bruce's homicidal bastard son, right? Godmotherfuckingdammit! Basically, canon-rape. It never ends, and it never ends well.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.