Author Topic: Can't blame it on alcohol after all  (Read 2387 times)

Offline gyeonghwa

• Uppity and Proud of It
  • The Beast
  • That angry queer your tone trolls warned you about
    • Queer & Khmer
Can't blame it on alcohol after all
« on: March 04, 2014, 12:46:51 pm »
Basically the notion that the alcohol made you do it is questionable.

Young women are often the targets of aggression when they're out in bars, but the problem isn't that guys are too drunk to know better.

Instead, men are preying on women who have had too much to drink.

When researchers at the University of Toronto and the University of Washington observed young people's behavior in bars, they found that the man's aggressiveness didn't match his level of intoxication. There was no relationship.

Instead, men targeted women who were intoxicated.

The researchers hired and trained 140 young adults to go into bars in the Toronto area and note every incident of aggression they saw. They found that 25 percent of all incidents involved sexual aggression. And 90 percent of the victims of sexual aggression were women being harassed by men.

Almost all of the aggression was physical, with about two-thirds of the aggressors physically touching women without consent. About 17 percent threatened contact. And 9 percent verbally harassed their targets.

Men may perceive intoxicated women either as more amenable to advances or as easier targets who are less able to rebuff them because they don't have their wits about them, the researchers say.

"There's no reason that women should be touched against their will," says Kate Graham, the study's lead researcher and a senior scientist at the Centre for Addiction and Mental Health at the University of Toronto. Women wouldn't accept that kind of behavior at school or on the street, she notes, but it seems to get a pass in bars, she tells Shots.

I like this because it shows you can be a belligerent drunkie without sexually assaulting a person.
That may be the single gayest thing I have ever read on this board. Or the old one. ;)

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
Re: Can't blame it on alcohol after all
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 12:48:27 pm »
Wonder how MRAs are gonna spin this.

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 01:37:37 pm »
"Women are lying cunts who deserve it!"

Offline Kat S.

• Pope
  • Repentant sinner, unrepentant knowledge junkie
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2014, 03:56:47 pm »

My guess is something along the lines of, "OMG! More persecution from the feminazis! Help! We're being repressed!"

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2014, 04:00:51 pm »

My guess is something along the lines of, "OMG! More persecution from the feminazis! Help! We're being repressed!"
"L0LZOR GET BACK 2 THE K1TCHEN B1TCH!"

Offline TheUnknown

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2014, 04:37:32 pm »

"But what about all the men who are harassed by drunk women?  I guess no one cares about them!"

Edit:  Shit, just read the comments.  A lot of "women go to bars looking for attention/to get laid" comments going on.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 05:05:34 pm by Iosa the Invincible »

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2014, 08:02:32 pm »

"But what about all the men who are harassed by drunk women?  I guess no one cares about them!"

Edit:  Shit, just read the comments.  A lot of "women go to bars looking for attention/to get laid" comments going on.
TRULY HUMAN RIGHTS ACTIVISM IN ACTION PEOPLE!

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2014, 09:36:47 pm »

....while that is actually justified in and of itself it's an incredibly stupid comment to make.  Do these commenters assume men don't go to bars looking for attention/to get laid?

Ironbite-don't tell me, I might get infuriated more.

Offline Kat S.

• Pope
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2014, 10:21:16 pm »

I think that is their way of going back to blaming the victim.  Their reasoning is more than likely this: she went to a bar/club to get drunk and hook up.  If she didn't want to go home or to a room with someone she didn't like, she shouldn't have gone to the bar/club and got drunk in the first place.

Yeah, never mind that no still means no if the person is intoxicated.  The rule "no means no" doesn't magically become null and void when a person starts drinking alcohol.

Offline TheUnknown

• The Beast
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2014, 10:44:09 pm »

I think that is their way of going back to blaming the victim.  Their reasoning is more than likely this: she went to a bar/club to get drunk and hook up.  If she didn't want to go home or to a room with someone she didn't like, she shouldn't have gone to the bar/club and got drunk in the first place.

Yeah, never mind that no still means no if the person is intoxicated.  The rule "no means no" doesn't magically become null and void when a person starts drinking alcohol.

Well, that and that fact that they seem to be insinuating that all women only go to bars for attention/to get laid.

Offline Kat S.

• Pope
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2014, 10:56:45 pm »

Well, that and that fact that they seem to be insinuating that all women only go to bars for attention/to get laid.

That too I agree.  However, these MRA types value sex and tend to be preoccupied by it so much that they project it on others and assume that everyone thinks like they do. They can't comprehend that sometimes a girl just wants to go to a bar to hang out with her friends and knock back a couple of drinks after a day is done.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2014, 12:22:46 am »
It's amazing how the finer points of human interaction seem to be lost on a lot of people. Yes, the reason a lot of people, both men and women, go to bars/clubs is for an easy fuck with a stranger, and yes, approaching someone for sexytimes is okay in and of itself. However, if the current object of your attention makes it clear that (s)he is not interested in you, then back the fuck off and find someone else. Basic human decency still applies, after all.